Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone in general and especially for those who traveled for the best deal, I'm wondering if anyone has had to deal with the "didn't buy it here hassles" if you had a warranty issue. While I'm well aware that any Honda dealer will fix your warranty issue I'm curious on peoples experiences, if any.

I can save $500-1000 if I want to travel 150 miles so I'm debating if it would be worth it when you take the above into consideration.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have not had that issue. quite the contrary. I bought mine at a dealer that I never ever went back to which is 200 miles away because they had my color and options and price. I've been to 4 dealers with warranty issues, each of which worked their hardest to resolve anything I showed them

·
Registered
506 Posts
For most dealerships, the sales depts and service departments might as well be on different planets.

If the dealership is truly dumb enough to say they wont' service your vehicle because you didn't buy it there you shouldn't be dealing with them at all.

And if they do refuse, put a call into Honda, I'm sure that Honda would straighten the dealer out.

Buy where you like, service where you like.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For most dealerships, the sales depts and service departments might as well be on different planets.

If the dealership is truly dumb enough to say they wont' service your vehicle because you didn't buy it there you shouldn't be dealing with them at all.

And if they do refuse, put a call into Honda, I'm sure that Honda would straighten the dealer out.

Agreed.

My thinking goes to the 2nd generation transmission issue. Out of the thousands of threads on the subject, some spoke of not being satisfied with dealers since the didn't purchase their van from them and others implied they got more cooperation because they did. Of course, there are so many variables in that saga it's created a life of it's own.

·
Registered
755 Posts

Amen. Well said :cool:

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Shops get reimbursed by Honda Corp for waranty work anyway so it shouldn't matter where the Honda was bought.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Agreed.

My thinking goes to the 2nd generation transmission issue. Out of the thousands of threads on the subject, some spoke of not being satisfied with dealers since the didn't purchase their van from them and others implied they got more cooperation because they did. Of course, there are so many variables in that saga it's created a life of it's own.
I don't know if having it serviced where you bought the Ody makes a difference for "goodwill adjustments", but having all of your Ody service done by the same dealer should.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Shops get reimbursed by Honda Corp for waranty work anyway so it shouldn't matter where the Honda was bought.
Sometimes you'll see some difference in getting things covered beyond the warranty. Usually the selling dealer is more likely to go to bat for you but not always. The other area you might see a difference is scheduling. If you're a regular customer that bought your vehicle from them, they may be more inclined to get your car fixed quicker or give you a loaner.

The dealership we bought from is about 30 minutes further away than our "hometown" dealer. We still make the trip for service because they are a far better shop plus they give loaners to customers they've sold the vehicle. So even for an oil change I can drop it off in the morning, get a loaner car, and come back that evening to pick it up.

Is that worth $500-$1,000 to you? That's your call. I think for $500 I would deal with the local shop particularly if I was going to use them for service. $1,000...I'd have to think about it. Keep in mind you've got extra travel expenses to save that money. Not much but some.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sometimes you'll see some difference in getting things covered beyond the warranty. Usually the selling dealer is more likely to go to bat for you but not always. The other area you might see a difference is scheduling. If you're a regular customer that bought your vehicle from them, they may be more inclined to get your car fixed quicker or give you a loaner.

The dealership we bought from is about 30 minutes further away than our "hometown" dealer. We still make the trip for service because they are a far better shop plus they give loaners to customers they've sold the vehicle. So even for an oil change I can drop it off in the morning, get a loaner car, and come back that evening to pick it up.

Is that worth $500-$1,000 to you? That's your call. I think for $500 I would deal with the local shop particularly if I was going to use them for service. $1,000...I'd have to think about it. Keep in mind you've got extra travel expenses to save that money. Not much but some.
Good points, I agree, if you go to the dealer you bought from you have some more leverage. In the past I've usually dealt with the dealer I purchased the vehicle from so I never had to test that hypothesis or I had no warranty claims. I remember many years ago a Ford dealer told me they could refuse to do warranty work if the dealer you purchased from was within 50 miles of their dealership. Never had to test the validity of that claim.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts