Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just wondering if anyone can tell me just what is the difference between the odyssey produced in Canada and the one sold here in the U.S.A. I've heard of daytime running lights, heated side view mirrors, for just a couple. Why is it that we here in the states don't have those options? Any more differences that I left out? There is a dealership that sells odysseys by going to Canada and bringing some back over to reduce the time in having to order them.Thanks.

Scooderduder

·
Registered
4 Posts
A Odyssey imported into the USA from Canada sounds like a great idea, if you don't wish to wait the 3-6 months for a US version.

But hold on - here is the clincher. American Honda will not support your vehicle for any warranty work - period.

Based on the information that I received, it is up to the selling dealer to provide warranty coverage for your vehicle. Also, you cannot purchase a HONDA Care extended warranty, as they will not accept the application.

There is also other minor differences like the number of times the "VIN" is stamped on the vehicle, emissions, and the electrical.

So -- unless your dealer is great to work with and you don't plan on moving - go for it. Otherwise you could be in for a surprise on your next trip when you stop into another Honda dealer and they tell you -- "... we won't touch this vehicle.., or here is your bill for work normally not charged for." My experience has been - even with a third party warranty coverage - the other Honda dealers are treating these vehicles like a disease and wish not to service them.

Now - how might I know all of this? Simple. The dealer I purchased my '00 Odyssey EX from neglected to inform me that it was a Canadian vehicle until after the fact/money exchanged/and delivered. Yup-a sucker is born every minute.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We bought a Canadian Odyssey about a month ago.
Yooper is right about the warranty. However, unlike Yooper's situation, the dealer was up front about where the Odyssey came from and told us that the Honda warranty was void. They offered a warranty through a third-party instead. The warranty isn't as good as the Honda warranty because there is a $50 deductible, but I think it still covers everything.
As for the difference between the Canadian and U.S. versions, these are the differences I know of:
* Canadian version has the heated side mirrors
* daylight running lights
* engine block heater
* a low windshield wiper fluid warning light
* I think a larger windshield wiper fluid reservoir.
* Our Odyssey is Canyon Stone Silver which is no longer available in the U.S.
* I noticed after we had the Odyssey for a week is that the Climate Control is in Celsius. I asked the dealer about that and they said it would cost about $400 to fix. Being in Celsius isn't a big deal to me.
* I also noticed that there isn't an annoying bell that sounds if the seat belt isn't fastened. I don't know if the U.S. model has the bell, but I am glad ours doesn't.
* Make sure the Canadian model's Speedometer and Odometers are in MPH and not in kilometers. The dealer changed the instrument panel on our Odyssey so that it is in MPH.
I prefer the Canadian model because of the extra features. When we bought the Odyssey, we had a choice of a U.S. model or a Canadian model. I think the extra features outweigh not having the Honda warranty (as long as you get a warranty from a third-party).

·
Registered
254 Posts
my odyssey came with a block heater as a standard feature. in my experience buying new cars, a block heater has always been a standard feature in canada.

------------------
2000 lx,fern grey,remote starter,honda single disc cd player,honda roof rack with cross rails,honda bra, hidden hitch,csa 5 spoke alloy wheels,15% film over oem privacy glass

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chris M, where did you get your 3rd party warranty from and how much was it? I am thinking about going with a Candaian import and would like to know that I can get a warranty for it here in the US. Thanks and hope you are still enjoying trouble free driving with your new Ody.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The dealer offered the 3rd-party warranty. It was included in the price of the Ody. The warranty is called "Motorists Assistance Plan" and is administered by EFG Companies.

EFG Companies
PO Box 167667
Irving, TX 75016
(800)527-1984
(972)445-8300

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looks like I might be wrong about the block heater. I took the salesman's word for it, but it sounds like he was wrong.
I thought the the block heater was standard on the Canadian Odys but Honda's Canadian website confirms kpenny's post that the block heater is a dealer installed option that costs $94.71.
If these heaters are like those on the big diesel trucks, there would be a plug near the grill that could be plugged into an electrical outlet. I don't see that on our Ody.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If there is no plug near the grill then you probably don't have the block heater. I don't know how cold it gets in the winter where you live, but you probably don't need one anyway. I am in Halifax, NS and we get some nights below 0F here and I never needed a block heater.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It's not like car won't start without the block heater.
It just prevents the cold start wear.
When you car is plugged in, it keeps the engine warm.
If you have it, plug it in. Engine will wear less.

*My dad's Odyssey and my Acura do not have block heaters.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts