Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Ody Club -- this is my first post. Does anyone know the differences between the 2021 and 2022 models? I'm looking at the Elite trim, specifically.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
1,018 Posts
2021 and 2022 will be identical at this point. You mean 2020 and 2021?

And welcome to the club!

·
Registered
2021 Odyssey EX-L
2 Posts
2021 and 2022 will be identical at this point. You mean 2020 and 2021?

And welcome to the club!
Looks like 2022 is now available on Honda website. I agree seems really early. They just opened ordering for the 2022 on my Honda employee web site as well.

·
Registered
2021 Odyssey EX-L
39 Posts
I have found it impossible to view the 2021 on Honda's website on my mobile devices, even when I set the browser to Desktop mode. On my desktop there is a small link in the upper left corner to get to the 2021 model. I find this very baffling. Why has Honda suddenly disowned the 2021? In January?

·
Registered
2021 Odyssey EX-L
39 Posts
I just did a detailed comparison of the two model years on Honda's website, and it appears the only difference is elimination of the Honda Vac. It shows the rear Seat Reminder on the 22, but not on the 21. That's a little odd because I have Rear Seat Reminder on my 21 EX-L.

·
Registered
2021 Odyssey EX-L
39 Posts
Exterior Colors. Red is different shade, 21 is Deep Scarlett Pearl, 22 is Radiant Red Metallic. 21 is available in Forest Mist Metallic, 22 is not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, Team Ody Club, you came back with great info — I am impressed. Blue Crab, thanks for going the extra mile! (Maybe you grew up in Maryland like I did?) I’m switching over from Toyota Sienna (I’ve owned three) to Honda due to the spaciousness of the Honda, the relative ease of completely removing the second row seats, and the smooth engine, among other reasons. It is surprising to see a 2022 being introduced so early in 2021. I have read bits about the vacuum cleaner and supply chain issues, so maybe that’s why they switched over to 2022 so quickly – there has been a lot of press about how wonderful it is to have a vacuum cleaner in the back of the minivan, they probably changed gears to 2022 to save face, I am thinking. While color is generally a small factor, it is interesting to note that there is a different red color coming down the pike for 2022. I saw the red 2021 and thought it was just “meh,” so I wonder whether the 2022 red will be impressive. I wonder how I could see that newer color on an actual vehicle at this point, maybe other current Honda models have that color?

·
Registered
197 Posts
In 2.5 years of ownership, I haven't touch the vacuum yet. To me it is just a piece of junk taking up storage space.

·
Registered
2021 Odyssey EX-L
39 Posts
In 2.5 years of ownership, I haven't touch the vacuum yet. To me it is just a piece of junk taking up storage space.
Can you remove it and add some sort of cubby in it's place? What goes where the vac is in lower trim levels?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow, Team Ody Club, you came back with great info — I am impressed. Blue Crab, thanks for going the extra mile! (Maybe you grew up in Maryland like I did?) I’m switching over from Toyota Sienna (I’ve owned three) to Honda due to the spaciousness of the Honda, the relative ease of completely removing the second row seats, and the smooth engine, among other reasons. It is surprising to see a 2022 being introduced so early in 2021. I have read bits about the vacuum cleaner and supply chain issues, so maybe that’s why they switched over to 2022 so quickly – there has been a lot of press about how wonderful it is to have a vacuum cleaner in the back of the minivan, they probably changed gears to 2022 to save face, I am thinking. While color is generally a small factor, it is interesting to note that there is a different red color coming down the pike for 2022. I saw the red 2021 and thought it was just “meh,” so I wonder whether the 2022 red will be impressive. I wonder how I could see that newer color on an actual vehicle at this point, maybe other current Honda models have that color?
There are some 2021 Odysseys out there in the new radiant red II color. I was surprised to learn this in a Facebook group and verified with one I found locally. This one sold but is still in the edmunds app under stock #210477. I've attached a picture (note the listing incorrectly states it's the old scarlet color).

Update: looks like this thread has some more pictures.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Once again, thank you Ody Club, great information. I, too, admire that Mazda red — it’s striking. I will try to see this Odyssey in the new red color soon! If I find out whether there is a cubby in place of a vacuum cleaner delete, I will post about that, certainly.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,671 Posts
...the relative ease of completely removing the second row seats...
You're a heck of a lot stronger than most of us :)!! One person even designed and built a hoist for removing those seats. The earlier seats won't even fold flat. Glad yours do. Did they also lighten them?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rut roh — I wasn’t aware that removal of the second row seats in the Odyssey was difficult/heavy (I haven’t purchased an Odyssey yet). I had been comparing that to the inability of removal of the second row seats in the 2021 (hybrid) Sienna. Also, I believe the Sienna has about 1/3 less total cargo space than Odyssey —correct me if I’m wrong. I will be sad if the second row seats in the Ody are difficult to remove. In my current Sienna, I removed the second row captain’s chairs a few years ago and put them in storage and never looked back — I find that middle space SO useful, and when the third row seats are folded down, it makes an amazing space to transport things.

·
Registered
2021 Odyssey EX-L
39 Posts
Rut roh — I wasn’t aware that removal of the second row seats in the Odyssey was difficult/heavy (I haven’t purchased an Odyssey yet). I had been comparing that to the inability of removal of the second row seats in the 2021 (hybrid) Sienna. Also, I believe the Sienna has about 1/3 less total cargo space than Odyssey —correct me if I’m wrong. I will be sad if the second row seats in the Ody are difficult to remove. In my current Sienna, I removed the second row captain’s chairs a few years ago and put them in storage and never looked back — I find that middle space SO useful, and when the third row seats are folded down, it makes an amazing space to transport things.
Check out this thread. You will have the added benefit of the seats being able to fold flat though.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,671 Posts
Yes, unfortunately the middle row seats are very heavy. What's left behind is a sled for the seats, which sticks up above the level floor about 4 inches. Those who want a flat floor in the cargo area must lay a 4x8 sheet of plywood down, and even then it slopes toward the front. Had I been smart enough to investigate this thoroughly before signing the order, I would have turned my 2018 down.

The van has a ton of other strengths but there are enough poor design issues for me that I would have looked at something else. I'm sure you'll enjoy the van if you can adapt it to your needs. Stay safe :).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, unfortunately the middle row seats are very heavy. What's left behind is a sled for the seats, which sticks up above the level floor about 4 inches. Those who want a flat floor in the cargo area must lay a 4x8 sheet of plywood down, and even then it slopes toward the front. Had I been smart enough to investigate this thoroughly before signing the order, I would have turned my 2018 down.

The van has a ton of other strengths but there are enough poor design issues for me that I would have looked at something else. I'm sure you'll enjoy the van if you can adapt it to your needs. Stay safe :).
Out of curiosity, if you had to do it again, what would you buy instead?

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,671 Posts
I put very few miles on a car now because I'm retired. I would look at a Pacifica for its far more common sense design than the Ody. It would need a pretty hefty extended warranty but I'm sure that's negotiable. I think no matter what car you buy today, an extended warranty at a decent price is essential due to the number of toys they feel are needed. You're not long eating into $1,500 for a simple repair.

The days of Honda longevity, quality build, and smart design seem to be over for the moment, ever since design and build was moved to the U.S. Buying a Honda today is the same as buying an ordinary American car. There's no more advantage.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I put very few miles on a car now because I'm retired. I would look at a Pacifica for its far more common sense design than the Ody. It would need a pretty hefty extended warranty but I'm sure that's negotiable. I think no matter what car you buy today, an extended warranty at a decent price is essential due to the number of toys they feel are needed. You're not long eating into $1,500 for a simple repair.

The days of Honda longevity, quality build, and smart design seem to be over for the moment, ever since design and build was moved to the U.S. Buying a Honda today is the same as buying an ordinary American car. There's no more advantage.
Don't rush into liking the Pacifica and others, here is the latest from ClassAction.org issue 122

"The initial case alleged that a defect in the 2017-2019 Chrysler Pacifica and Chrysler 300 models’ Uconnect systems caused nearly all of the vehicles’ entertainment, communication and navigation features to malfunction. These malfunctions included touch screens freezing or going black, GPS navigation cutting out and problems with the rear back-up camera. But are the Pacifica and 300 the only models affected by these issues? Additional lawsuits would aim to cover several Jeep, Dodge and Ram vehicles, so for a list of potentially affected models, as well as an opportunity to share your Uconnect experience"

They do not mention anything about the more recent years of 2020-2021, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is when they filed the original Class Action suit for 2017-2019.

Who rubbed against whom, to have almost all if not the same problems that plaques those of us having the Honduh intelligence center - one stop and shop for failure. I want back independent controls of radio/dvd/usb/audio/hvac/gps. I don't care if the dash has 3000 buttons instead of one that is a trash can when it fails. At least if one button fails the other 2999 still work is my point.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,671 Posts
Excellent points, DJVAN. If you scan the internet long enough, you'll conclude that there isn't one single product out there that you should buy because it's an unreliable piece of crap with which some lawyer is having a field day engaging in a lawsuit.

If I read your post correctly, I think you and I are on the same page - car makers should stop adding all this "crap" to cars. Like Scotty said in Star Trek III, "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." Brilliant writing.

We only need cars with the basics. If you need anymore than that, go home to the endless list of electronic toys in your house :D!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Excellent points, DJVAN. If you scan the internet long enough, you'll conclude that there isn't one single product out there that you should buy because it's an unreliable piece of crap with which some lawyer is having a field day engaging in a lawsuit.

If I read your post correctly, I think you and I are on the same page - car makers should stop adding all this "crap" to cars. Like Scotty said in Star Trek III, "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." Brilliant writing.

We only need cars with the basics. If you need anymore than that, go home to the endless list of electronic toys in your house :D!
The more they put "things" into a vehicle, the more it will fail. What ever happened to when you bought something that was a Limited or a Custom or Deluxe which came with, well almost everything thing you needed in a car and it worked. Now Honduh having 5 different models, sad to say, but the lowest end model has had the least of problems, but still not exempt from all the problems. Back when you said Cadillac and it was the "ELITE" standard. I know I am living in the yesterdays (years) of my life and still can say, it took 5 minutes to warm up the radio, but there it is. Piling the family in the 1955 Chevrolet BelAir Station wagon (9 kids) my parents heading to South Dakota on old gravel roads, between hick town to hick town and over a lot of rail road tracks, stopping in the corn fields to relive ourselves (always carried toilet paper). Back when vehicles were tough enough to take that kind of harsh driving. I'm sorry, just reminiscing of life and times of the years gone by.

As Kirk would say to Scotty, "Beam me up".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts