Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On another board someone made reference to gas in different areas of the country getting better or worse mileage. I think the general reference was that the formulation in heavily populated areas to reduce pollution actually gave worse gas mileage. The reason I ask is that I live in Atlanta and have only been getting 15-17 MPG in "city" driving. Needless to say, that is a disappointment. Does anyone have any knowledge of gas variation affecting mileage? I am aware of the special mixes for different regions or cities, but I thought that was solely for emissions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had heard that in Portland, Oregon, during certain times of the year, the gas is oxygenated and that causes the gas mileage to be less.

I don't really know what "oxygenated" means though. My guess is that they somehow inject air into the gas so that it burns leaner (and cleaner). I think it also means you end up paying for air.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I believe "oxygenated" means they mix a percentage of alcohol in the fuel. We have it here in CA for winter, and just about everybody notices a mileage drop when the pumps switch. I mean everybody who drives a car with an internal combustion engine.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX (ULEV)- currently the BIG car.
1997 EV1 (ZEV) in process - "This is NOT your father's golf cart"

·
Registered
564 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems silly to change to a cleaner burning fuel that decreases mileage. I guess the environmentalists don't care how much gas we use, just what the byproducts are. Anyone know what % drop would be normal? I guess it would depend on the % of ethanol with its lower BTU content.

Thanks for the informative link Darell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gas is oxygenated here in the winter by adding 10% ethanol (they used to add MBTE which is an ether compound I think). My classic Chevy gets exactly 10% worse gas mileage in the winter because it has a vented gas cap and all of the ethanol evaporates into the air (Can't smoke in the garage either!). My other (more modern vehicles)with closed fuel systems seem to get about 5% less MPG when they start adding the ethanol. I expect that will be the case with the ODY but I am only on my second fill up right now.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
When MTBE was added to gas here in our metro area, the mileage in my Lincoln dropped almost 15%! On top of that, the gas prices rose, reportedly because there was less supply of the new gas (non-metro areas weren't required to switch).

I watch mileage pretty closely to be aware of pending engine problems.

Thinking a tune-up was needed, I took the car to my regular mechanic. He said that the decrease in mileage was due to thereformulation, that a number of his regular customers had come requesting tuneups, and even the mileage in his cars had fallen that much.

I don't mind some inconvenience when it actually helps the environment, but I heard that MTBE is dangerous and that has contaminated some ground water.

Grrrrrrr.

------------------
Maugham

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EXL
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green grass stains and '01 White Laces

·
Registered
596 Posts
When we drive cross-country, we always see around a two m.p.g. increase when we take on the first tank of Arizona gas and it stays that way for the whole trip, until we hit California again. These trips are usually made in June or July. Some of the folks who live close to the AZ border drive across and gas up and it is not just to save money, but for better performance.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

1 - 8 of 8 Posts