Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been using the Navi unit since we bought our 2001 three weeks ago. There are a few things that I would like to see improved, unless there are workarounds that others can suggest.

(1) When computing a route to a destination across town, it defaults to the most direct route. However, in my town when going from one side of the city to the other it is often much faster to get on the highway that circles the city than to take local small streets with slow speed limits, many traffic lights, etc. I have tried to use the "avoid road" feature, but that can take several iterations to get Navi to route onto the highway. I have also selected "detour," which often (but not always) will recalc to use the highway. I wish the Navi had an option to "maximize highways," similar to "minimize highways." Have others found quick and consistent ways to force a highway routing? Does "detour" always do this in other geographic areas? I would think this would be a common preference.

(2) We often go driving through the countryside on weekends. Yesterday I tried to use the Navi to decide what roads to drive around on. But when one zooms out to the scale that's best for that purpose (2 mile mode) the map looses nearly all street-level detail. In order to see any major roads one has to zoom in to at least the 1/2-mile mode, and at that scale you can't see the big picture to decide where to drive. I doubt there's a way around this, short of Honda changing their programming.

(3) When following a calculated route, if you go to the menu to search for gas stations, restaurants, etc. ahead on the route, the Navi erases the programmed destination. Once you finish the search you have to go through the process of reprogramming the destination in order to get the routing feature back. Any ways around this that other users have found?

Does anyone have any feedback on these issues? I may suggest these to Honda for future consideration. Thanks.

--Steve P.
2001 EX-Navi Silver

·
Registered
585 Posts
1) You have 2 options; 'direct' route and 'easy' route. Easy route usually finds the highways. You can toggle between them when selecting your destination. Between these 2 modes I've never had a problem getting the right roads.

2) I use the joystick to 'travel' around and zoom in and out frequently when travelling in unknown areas. I haven't noticed a problem w/ lack of detail.

3) I've noticed this problem as well. Not sure what to do about it. There ought to be a 'temporary destination' mode that won't take you from your original destination. However, the destination I'm heading to is generally at the top of the 'recently travelled' roads (I'm a bit anal *surprise!*) and keep only a few destinations in this list.

·
Registered
31 Posts
#3 can be mitigated by making routine use of the "Today's routes" feature. That is, don't just press "go" when you have entered a destination. First press "Add to Today's Destinations". It that way, the system will get you to the gas station and then automatically proceed to your final destination.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts