Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
I'm trying to run down all the different ideas for subwoofer installations in an Odyssey. I'd like to start this thread to try to distill what people have done and what seems to work well/sound good. I'm currently trying to work on a highly customized solution, but having 1 toddler and another baby on the way, I don't have time to do as much as I'd like for this Odyssey system....
My goal is to do a non-obtrusive solution that does not eliminate the spare tire, allows the third row seat to operate without moving the sub, and keeps the car looking as stock as possible....
Here's what I've seen on this website and elsewhere:

1) Kelton Bassworks Sub - perhaps a bit boomy and not the most powerfull, though well integrated.

2) 6.5" powered or unpowered Bazooka in the left rear corner where the headrests are usually stored.. (VideoNavi has a nice pic!)

3) Subsolutions custom bandpass solutions in the same rear corner.. Some models need some corner shaving.. My question is how do you mount this securely?

4) JL Audio 8.1 Microsub (http://www.jlaudio.com/enclosures/81microsub.html)... I don't particularly like the JL sound, but I think this might actually fit in the same left rear corner... Does anyone have one, and does it fit? I haven't tried...

5) 6"x9" in the rear door (done by several people), potentially use a low profile sub instead... (this scares me, and would probably rattle like crazy unless you totally dynamat the door and seal it up really great.. MAJOR WORK INVOLVED!)

5) Larger Bazooka tubes just thrown in the back area, with a long speaker wire.

6) Your standard small sealed box (custom or off the shelf) thrown in the back. Or for that matter, an enclosure thrown in the back..

7) Anyone know if Qlogic or JL are planning on making an Odyssey stealth sub?

Other Ideas:

- spare tire-well sub... Could do a custom fiberglass enclosure with a shallow 8" on top of the spare, with a custom cover to allow bass to get through... (lots of work)

- custom under-the-seat sub... could try to leverage KB's idea, perhaps mount under one of the middle row seats for more space...

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
1,484 Posts
It would be cool to see someone mount a sub under the third row seat. Not to the floor but to the seat itself. So when the seats are up the (sub is still there) and when it's in the well (it's still there - just farther back).

The only downside is your cargo area gets cut down (unless you remove the sub). Or maybe if you install the speakers in the seat cushions themselves. Don't know how it would sound though.

-Nestor

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One other idea:
The custom center console sub, between the front captains chairs; could potentially use it to mount other A/V equipment, etc... and also could be used to mount a center channel speaker for a mobile theater...

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shinjohn:
One other idea:
The custom center console sub, between the front captains chairs; could potentially use it to mount other A/V equipment, etc... and also could be used to mount a center channel speaker for a mobile theater...
</font>
My friend's Cadillac Escalade has a sub in the center console. It's sounds pretty good.Definitely doable.

------------------
-Rob-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)
http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Registered
127 Posts
One other idea:

</font>
I had been thinking along the lines of your custom underseat subwoofer, but I must say the sub-in-a-console idea is very intriguing. It puts the sub near the listener (always a good idea), and the location and available space would seem to offer many more options and possible enclosure sizes. The only thing one would have to worry about is the sub shaking your Coke can from the sub/console drinkholder!

------------------
2001 EX
iVES
Infinity 652s/452s/105ts
Honda Wood Dash
Wheel Locks
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Cargo Cover
Roof Rails
Cassette Player
Heartland console

Coming up: Foglights,CD Changer,Glove Box Light

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey,
Been thinking about the center console sub idea some more.... I noticed some (many?) Ody owners use an aftermarket center console. Keeping with a stealth look, I was wondering if anyone out there has an aftermarket console that they think could be modified to fit an 8" or 10" driver, with an internal gross volume of 0.3 ft^3 - 0.5ft^3. If not that, I'd like to see some pictures of nice center consoles to get an idea of how to approach a custom design if I were to go this route. Can anyone out there point me in the right direction?
-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey,
Been thinking about the center console sub idea some more.... I noticed some (many?) Ody owners use an aftermarket center console. Keeping with a stealth look, I was wondering if anyone out there has an aftermarket console that they think could be modified to fit an 8" or 10" driver, with an internal gross volume of 0.3 ft^3 - 0.5ft^3. If not that, I'd like to see some pictures of nice center consoles to get an idea of how to approach a custom design if I were to go this route. Can anyone out there point me in the right direction?
-SJ

</font>
I doubt if any of the aftermarket consoles would be rigid enough to use for a subwoofer enclosure without a lot of vibration-most of them are plastic, and they would probably not sound too great. I have been thinking about trying to design a downfiring subwoofer design that could be mounted in the lower part of a center console. The width is close to 12", which would be more than enough for a 10" downfiring driver. If the enclosure was 12x20x6, then the air volume would be around 0.5 cu.ft (less the thickness of the enclosure), which sounds like it has some possibilities. Mounting the subwoofer amplifier in the same area would solve another problem and keep the speaker leads nice and short. Shinjohn, any ideas on suitable drivers?

------------------
2001 EX
iVES
Infinity 652s/452s/105ts
Honda Wood Dash
Wheel Locks
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Cargo Cover
Roof Rails
Cassette Player
Heartland console

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've a Jl Audio Powerwedge box with 2 12's in the cargo area. Powered by a Sony Xplod amp.

Bass sounds great! The bass can be heard about a half block away! Gotta work on my mids and highs. Soon, soon...

Removal is pretty simple. I disconnect speaker cables from box, remove power, ground, rca inputs and remote cables from amp, and I'm done.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Odyfox,

Thanks for your reply. In regards to the use of the aftermarket console, I was thinking I'd use the basic shape of the inside of the console as a mold for a fiberglass and MDF reinforced enclosure. That would be how I was going to attack the rigidity issues...

In any event, in regards to drivers, I've got one manufacturer's in mind: Boston Acoustics. A Pro 10.5LF or Competitor 1000 needs 0.5 ft^3 sealed air space. A Pro 8.5LF or Competitor 8000 needs 0.3 ft^3.

I'm very partial to BA. I've listened to MANY, MANY subs and like the Boston's smooth, extended response the best (esp in the Pro Series). I've got a pair of Pro 12.5LFs in my '99 Accord. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a boomer, but I do like bass that is very well controlled, with extended low end response. That's what Boston provides.

These speakers are great if you have ample power (I do), want a small box, and value SQ over volume (sensitivity not as high as some other brands).

Competitor series are very similar to the Pro, but a bit "warmer" or "boomier" in sound, due to their slightly higher Q. Competitors represent a better value too if you are price conscious.

I've got a pair of 4 ohm Competitor 1000s (still in box, sad) sitting in a closet, waiting to be installed. I was going to use them on another system, but never got around to it. So, I will probably use one of them for the Odyssey, sell the other on ebay. We'll see what happens, or if my wife even let's me do the stuff I'm planning... hee,hee!

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey djdro34,

Do you get better gas mileage with those 2 JL 12"s firing back? (j/k) Indeed, I'm sure you can be heard from far away, JLs are pretty efficient...

I've done a few "removable" type systems before, but they end up being alot of trouble. Esp. with the Odyssey, I want to preserve all the utility of the folding seat, large cargo area, etc... so I don't want a big box in the back. With strollers, and other kid stuff, I need all the space I can get!

Good luck on the highs and mids. Drop me an email if you want any 2nd opinions, etc.. on speaks.

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here's what I'm thinking of adding/removing:

Adding a Sony Xplod CD/MP3 player head unit. Removing the current Kenwood head unit and cd changer.

Removing factory speakers in dash, doors, and rear quarter. Adding JL Audio component system to front and rear. (this will involve finding a sweet spot for the tweeter in the rear)

Adding a second amp to run the two sets of components. Probably another Sony Xplod amp.

Also, I gotta get the rails for the power sliding doors tightened or dampened because the vibrations cause that ugly metal vibrating sound when you are outside.

I don't know when I'll be doing everything, but hopefully very soon.

As far as the gas mileage, I guess I'm not doing the math right or I do too much city driving because I've never gotten my numbers above 15 mpg. This has gotta be my biggest complaint.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Oh yeah, I agree about the hassle of the removable system. I plan on building something to place both amps on so that I can just remove three thing when I need space: the cables from amp one, the cables from amp two and the speaker cables from sub box.

Currently it takes about 5 minutes to get my current system unhooked and out of the van. I expect that it'll take me closer to 10 min when I add the second amp.

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by odyfox:
I doubt if any of the aftermarket consoles would be rigid enough to use for a subwoofer enclosure without a lot of vibration-most of them are plastic, and they would probably not sound too great

</font>
If your looking for a "sub-like" center console may I recommend the console I have. It's leather wrapped with carpet on the inside. No plastic here! Also it has a pretty large compartment for a good size sub. Here are some pics:

http://www.nemogira.com/odyssey/centerconsole.jpg

http://www.nemogira.com/odyssey/cdchanger.jpg

-Nestor

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Nestor,

I checked it out.. it looks nice. Your web page says Wolf Automotive, but I couldn't find a website for them. Are they online? Where did you get the console, and do you mind me asking how much you paid?

BTW, I checked out your website, etc.. Very impressive! I like your work.

Interesting that this thread is attracting DJs... I used to spin records back in high/school college... Aside mixing/scratching/etc.. I designed and built Pro Audio/PA systems for my DJ group (OOB a LONG time ago)...

Anyhow, thanks!
-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
1,484 Posts
You could get them at JC Whitney. I bought mine a while back and I don't recall the price I paid for it. I don't know if they even still sell black anymore. But they do have tan, grey, blue and burgundy. There's some other consoles there worth checking out also.

Thanks for compliments on my site. I haven't updated it in a while - but I do have some new 3d animations I've done these past semesters. Hopefully if I can pull myself away from the Club and the Odyssey then maybe I can work on it. Same goes for DJing. Damn Odyssey!

-Nestor

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
djdro34,
Some opinions (of course SQ is always subjective):

Seeing you are a DJ, and probably listen to alot of dance music..

Speakers: consider MB Quart and Diamond Audio too. MB Q's are probably the brightest high end on the market and sure do play loud! (but very expensive) Boston Rally isn't bad either. If you want a sound that's smoother and better for acoustic type music, I'd recommend others (like what I have, Dynaudio).

I'd recommend you to spend alot on front speakers, set them up well, and don't worry about components for the rear. Even factory is OK for rear fill. (keep in mind I'm a 2 channel audio purist type) I'd avoid using the factory dash tweeter location too, unless you use them for "ambience" speakers in addition to your main tweeters. I opt for kick panel installation of main tweeters, with the compromise of having the mid-bass in the factory door location. Imaging and sound stage are much better this way. Optimally, custom kicks or Q-forms are the way to go, but Q-forms are not avail for the Odyssey, and custom kicks for me are not worth the extra effort.

Rather than two amps in the van, consider a 5 or 6 channel. The PG XS6600 is a compact package with alot of power. (75x4 or 150x2 + 150x2 or 300x1 @ 14.4V) This will make life easier for you and the amp has everything built in (x-overs, multi-config, sub volume control).

If you go with two amps, I'd recommend trying to mount one or both under the front seats, so that they don't need to be removed to use the back. Then you just have a speaker cable for your Powerwedge. Besides, it scares me to think about having a loose 12V line in the back of your car (granted, it's fused) when you unplug your amp.

Could go on for hours... but hope this helps a little..
-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
59 Posts
Your right about all the dance music... i play everything in my ODY loud. Salsa, Merengue, Bachata, House, Hip-Hop, Reggae, and Club.

I will have room under my front seat once I remove the cd changer (had forgotten about this space), so the placement of the amp there is a great idea! Thanks.

I'll keep the MB Quart in mind. I really hadn't gotten specs or pricing on them. Guess I was too impressed by the JL's quality on the subs, that's why I was looking into their components.

I will probably end up installing a switch somewhere on the amp's power line to shut off power when I have the van loaded for parties.

Thanks for advice. I'll be sending Jim some pics of the cargo area with my box tonite. I haven't been able to figure out how to post pics myself. Doh!

·
Registered
147 Posts
You may want to look at the Infinity BassLink. It only takes up 1 cubic foot of space and has a built in 200 watt amp. A Ten inch woofer and passive radiator. I sell and install alot of these in vehicles with limited space. It includes an adjustable crossover with gain control. It will work very well with factory systems. Best thing since sliced bread for limited room. And it won't break the budget either. I pay $200 for these things wholesale. You will probably pay up to fifty percent or more for them retail. I don't know if AutoToys carries them. I personally find there website confusing. If I can help let me know.

DanDan The Radio Man.

·
Registered
127 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DanDan:
You may want to look at the Infinity BassLink. It only takes up 1 cubic foot of space and has a built in 200 watt amp. A Ten inch woofer and passive radiator. I sell and install alot of these in vehicles with limited space. It includes an adjustable crossover with gain control. It will work very well with factory systems. Best thing since sliced bread for limited room. And it won't break the budget either. I pay $200 for these things wholesale. You will probably pay up to fifty percent or more for them retail. I don't know if AutoToys carries them. I personally find there website confusing. If I can help let me know.

DanDan The Radio Man.
</font>

DanDan,

I was looking hard at the Basslink for a possible underseat application, but they look to be too tall to fit under either seat. However, that does not preclude them from being mounted in some sort of custom center console. I still like the underseat location because it will remain unused in my Ody, but I am not sure I can settle for the Kelton. $200 for a Basslink is a pretty good price-same as the lowest eBay winning bids I've seen. I may be talking to you in the near future! :)

------------------
2001 EX
iVES
Infinity 652s/452s/105ts
Honda Wood Dash
Wheel Locks
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Cargo Cover
Roof Rails
Cassette Player
Heartland console

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DanDan,

Thanks for the post. I was looking at the Basslink, but as Odyfox mentions, it doesn't fit under a seat or neatly in any location in the Odyssey, barring the center console (between front seats)...

Putting it stock between the front seats prevents a stealth install, unless you build a console around it to hide it, in which case I guess I'd just rather design and build my own inconspicuous custom "sub-center-console".

The other thing I didn't like about the Basslink was the lack of a remote sub level control. (correct me if I'm wrong) That's a feature I'm personally very interested in.

If I were to buy an off the shelf solution, I'd lean towards a 6.5" RS Bazooka, installed like Steve (Video Navi) has, in the left rear corner of the vehicle. Of course Clarion has an under seat sub that suppossedly fits, and there is a (Pioneer?) spare tire well sub too, but both have other trade offs.

Any other "off-the-shelf" solutions I'm not aware of that can be tucked away in an Odyssey cleanly?

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

1 - 20 of 28 Posts