Honda Odyssey Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I’m about to copy your method. Was the 1/4W resistor enough? Or would you recommend going with 1/2W or higher? Only asking because I already have 1/4W resistors.
No disrespect to the original poster here, just sharing my experiences. I initially went with the DIY method and it worked well for some time, but over time and the seasons, I had to be careful with my Odyssey to keep it out of ECO mode. I personally think that it is better to spend the additional money and the VCM Tuner II. I installed it in May 2020 and my Odyssey has not gone into ECO mode since then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No disrespect to the original poster here, just sharing my experiences. I initially went with the DIY method and it worked well for some time, but over time and the seasons, I had to be careful with my Odyssey to keep it out of ECO mode. I personally think that it is better to spend the additional money and the VCM Tuner II. I installed it in May 2020 and my Odyssey has not gone into ECO mode since then.
I can imagine that happening if you install on a newer odyssey, maybe? I have a 2005 with 220k on it. Just now installing something to defeat the vcm. Not sure how much the system will change over the next few years from where it’s starting.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I can imagine that happening if you install on a newer odyssey, maybe? I have a 2005 with 220k on it. Just now installing something to defeat the vcm. Not sure how much the system will change over the next few years from where it’s starting.
No, I'm sure it is because different resistance values are needed. See post #57 above. People with passive resistance products sometimes need to change resistors with seasons or as it ages.

When this thread was started apparently there was not (or it was newly available) a VCMuzzler with the connectors needed by 2005 and 2006 Odysseys. Nearly 6 years later there several different plug and play high quality solutions available so I would recommend going that way instead of the DIY path.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
No, I'm sure it is because different resistance values are needed. See post #57 above. People with passive resistance products sometimes need to change resistors with seasons or as it ages.

When this thread was started apparently there was not (or it was newly available) a VCMuzzler with the connectors needed by 2005 and 2006 Odysseys. Nearly 6 years later there several different plug and play high quality solutions available so I would recommend going that way instead of the DIY path.
I agree. It seems kind of silly to install your own resister (I know it saves a little money) when you can simply buy a "plug and play" device that does exactly the same thing, or in the case of the VCMTuner II, even more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks all, much to my own chagrin, I went and ordered an s-vcm. I realize it’s way better than a DIY solution, but it still hurts considering the age and value of my odyssey. Was looking forward to breaking out my soldering iron again, too.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts