Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 touring. Anyone know how to disable the two rear interior buttons used to open and close the rear sliding doors? My 2.5 year old is obsessed with pushing them every chance she gets and it's driving us mad. The child door locks don't prevent the button from working. Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
See page 169 of your manual...using the POWER SLIDING DOOR MAIN SWITCH.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
2011 touring. Anyone know how to disable the two rear interior buttons used to open and close the rear sliding doors? My 2.5 year old is obsessed with pushing them every chance she gets and it's driving us mad. The child door locks don't prevent the button from working. Thanks!
I hear you, I wish there would be a way. It has taken a couple of timeouts, toys and books separation plus synchronized buckling-up to eliminate it... and I'm not sure if they won't do it again if they find a chance. It is a magnet :rant:

See page 169 of your manual...using the POWER SLIDING DOOR MAIN SWITCH.
The problem is that the switch disables the whole auto sliding doors feature, just disabling the pillar buttons selectively would be great.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My door pillar buttons are disabled when the child safety lock is on. I'm not sure what the problem is?

Page 162 of the OM:
With the childproof door locks on, automatic operation with the inside door handle or the power sliding door switch on the door pillar is disabled.

Note that this disables the pillar switch while the door is closed. If the door is open, you can use the pillar switch to close it, but then it won't open with it. Works great for me and my 3 yo.

·
Registered
218 Posts
So, you have child door lock so the doors cannot be opened from inside, you have the windows' safety lock so only the driver's window can be rolled down... but the pillar buttons still operate under those 2 conditions... hello?

They screwed up

·
Registered
131 Posts
agree. I have the child safety locks on and when the doors are closed. My 2 boys cannot press the button to open the sliding doors. I either have to press the open door on the driver door panel or physically go and open the doors from the outside. When the doors are open I can use any way I want including pressing the button at the sliding door to close them. Are you sure child safety lock is engaged?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
If the door is open, you can use the pillar switch to close it
That is exactly the problem, Why is this still enabled?

Once buckled, who cares, they cannot move anyway :). If you have only one kid under 5 great, easy to control, but if you have more than one under 5... oh, and add a busy parking lot, rain or snow to make it more interesting.

If somebody can buckle up 2 or 3 kids at once with only 2 hands, please post the procedure (and add the video as proof :D).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So no dice here, huh? Minor but seems like it would have been simple to allow for this. Don't they have people with young kids working in their design teams?

3 under 2.5 years old BTW. If I had only one I wouldn't have bought this car!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I wasn't able to get out to the van to confirm, but I believe it's as easy as pulling the gasket out of the way and then pull the panel away slightly from the body so that you can get at the back of the switch and pull the connector off of it. And when your daughter grows up a little, it's just as easy to reinstall the connector.

Let us know if you have any problems and someone here will try to help you get at the connectors.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is indeed turning out to be a pain for us. Our 2yr old toddler is playing with the pillar switch. Did any disable the switch?

i'm always concerned with pulling these pillar panels as there maybe side air bags there? i don't knowhow they work and don't want to mess something up. hence asking before experimenting :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
If I don't want the kids operating the doors, I shut off the master switch. I don't see the problem. The windows are another story; if you press the lock button, the driver can't operate the passenger's windows either. That is just mental. How do you out the rear window up when your 3 year old starts putting it down, aside from pulling over? I wonder who (at Honda) dreams stuff like this up. Window lock should mean no one else but the driver can operate windows. The power door system lock should mean that no one but the driver can operate the doors. Of course, if it was set up that way and there was a crash, how would you open the doors manually ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also agree that the window lock is less than ideal but manageable, although I do wish the driver's buttons would override the passenger's so you don't end up with a stalemate when trying to close a window and the kid is trying to open it.
As for the sliding door "child lock" it's great you can use the child lock to stop them from opening the door but it doesn't lock out the pillar switch from closing the door which is a real danger to the child, I believe my Mazda MPV was the same way; I guess there would be an equal number of people annoyed by the fact that you can't close the door after buckling the kid in. I have found that the Odyssey has a far more sensitive sensor when encountering an obstruction than my old MPV but I think it would still hurt little hands or heads. Something that I found interesting is that the Odyssey sliding doors can be opened with the buttons as long as the vehicle is stopped and still in drive or moving under a certain speed, the MPV required it to be in park before the doors could be opened with power. It seems that some of these features work for some and not others, change them to suite one group and it wouldn't work for another. The ability to customize the features would be ideal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Update: I was able to remove the pillar switch easily using a trim tool. Took less than a minute and the switch alone came out. I unplugged the wiring at the back of switch.

you can then put the switch back or replace the switch with a cover which is used in lower ody models w/o power sliding door. I got one of those switches. It has a clean look now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Did anyone have any problems manually opening the the doors once you disabled the them from the drivers switch?

One of mine seems to "lock" itself, randomly and I cant open it.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
what is a 2 yr old doing in the drivers seat anyway? maybe put something inbetween the seats so she cant get through or even bigger problems will arise as she grows

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
what is a 2 yr old doing in the drivers seat anyway? maybe put something inbetween the seats so she cant get through or even bigger problems will arise as she grows
Wtf??? There are buttons on the rear pillars that you push for the power sliding doors. Seriously, how did you infer the child was in the driver seat???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts