Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have my 2011, yet! But when it comes in, I want to know if you can disable the power rear tailgate from opening with the remote key fob?

I seem to be always leaning on my keys, and accidentially opening doors on my current '04. I would hate to accidentially open the power tailgate inside my garage, and scratch/damage the door because there is not enough room.

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
You're going to have to pull the fuse and permanently disable it as there is no way to disable it from just the fob.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I *think* there is a programmable option to allow you to open the lift gate remotely ONLY when the car is unlocked. It may be useless for your problem though (unless you normally lock your car while in the garage)

If interested, give a check to the PDF owner's manual in one of the stickied posts in this forum area, the programming procedure should be there.

·
Registered
786 Posts
At one point someone here reported being able to use an EX/EXL remote on Tourings in the 3rd gen. If it is the same case with the 2011 you could just get an EX remote that doesn't have the power liftgate button but you could still work the doors. Also note that you won't be able to retrieve the memory settings if its a Touring.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I *think* there is a programmable option to allow you to open the lift gate remotely ONLY when the car is unlocked. It may be useless for your problem though (unless you normally lock your car while in the garage)

If interested, give a check to the PDF owner's manual in one of the stickied posts in this forum area, the programming procedure should be there.
Just found this info in the Owner's Manual and wanted to share. Page 165 describes changing the power liftgate button behavior. As BigBoat said, this would work if you normally lock your van.

Also note on Page 165 of OM:

The power tailgate has an autoreverse feature. If it meets resistance while opening or closing, it will beep three times and reverse direction. However, the tailgate may not reverse immediately. Always make sure passengers and objects are clear of the tailgate before opening or closing it.

May not prevent scratches, but might help a little.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just found this info in the Owner's Manual and wanted to share. Page 165 describes changing the power liftgate button behavior. As BigBoat said, this would work if you normally lock your van.

Also note on Page 165 of OM:

The power tailgate has an autoreverse feature. If it meets resistance while opening or closing, it will beep three times and reverse direction. However, the tailgate may not reverse immediately. Always make sure passengers and objects are clear of the tailgate before opening or closing it.

May not prevent scratches, but might help a little.
Has anyone tried and been able to program the gate to not open from the fob when the van is locked? I have a low garage roof as well so I wanted to set it that way so it wouldn't accidentally open when in the garage, however I wasn't able to get it to work. The manual says there should be 3 beeps when it is set, but the gate is contantly emitting three beeps as the procedure causes the gate to reverse direction it is moving in originally.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If I'm not mistaken there is a on/off switch (touring) to the left of the steering wheel that powers off the remote to the tailgate as well as slider doors. We park ours in the garage and I accidently caused the tailgate door to open but caught in time before it was going to get scratched up on the ceiling. However, I had to use alot of force to keep that door down and thought I was going to break the motor in doing so.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Disabling the power rear tailgate

I have the same problem in my garage. I stuck 3/4" weatherstripping to my garage door so if the power tailgate went down it would hit the weatherstrip. It does not damage the tailgate.

I also moved the Safe T Beams (Genie garage door opener) from the floor, up about 6' so that the garage door does not close if the tailgate is open. I know that is a no no. That happened on my 2006 Ody. But my new 2011 Ody is 2 ins longer.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm glad I read this post, this will be potential issue in my garage as well.Sometimes when I'm leaving for work in the early a.m. I'll find that one of the sliding doors has been open all night. It also happens a lot when I pulling out my keys or bending over with the fob in my pocket. Each time a button gets pushed. On time the van was outside in the rain, I look out and there's a door open.

·
Registered
118 Posts
This is dissapointing. One of the things im looking foward to is opening the doors and tailgate from my keyfob. with young ones in your arms and by your side I felt this was a major advantage

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is dissapointing. One of the things im looking foward to is opening the doors and tailgate from my keyfob. with young ones in your arms and by your side I felt this was a major advantage
What do you mean? Opening the door with fob can always be done (unless you turn the switch off on the dash). The only difference would be to unlock the doors 1st, and that would only need to be done if you change the setting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found below in user manual 2013 odyssey and set remote to tailgate opens unless the door is unlocked. Now if i want to open tailgate, I need to press unlock 2 times then hold tailgate button for 1 sec... rare combination. Guessing that this will resolve tailgate-garage door prob

■ Customizing when to open the tailgate
ANYTIME: The power tailgate unlocks and opens at the same time. This is the
default setting.
WHEN UNLOCKED: The tailgate opens unless the door is unlocked.
2 Customized Features P. 101
To change the setting, do the following:
1. Apply the parking brake.
2. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II)
3. Press and hold the power tailgate button on the dashboard until you hear a beep.
4. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0)
When Anytime is set, you hear one long beep.
When Unlocked is set, you hear three short beeps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts