Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am getting a double din dvd put in my 06 Odyssey EX-L and they are going to put a block video feature by only letting video display when parking brake is on. THis is obviosly a security feature while driving. However, I am putting a backup camera signal into the dvd player through AUX input (Sony XAV-60) and would like it to be on while driving to show rear view .... not for watching movies. For movies I have a roof mount monitor they are hooking up with the sony dvd player.

just wanted to see if anyone can tell how to disable the video block the installers implement when putting in a after market dvd system.

thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
You want a constant rear view on your front monitor, not just while backing up? If so, I would think the installer could wire the signal wire to switched power instead of piggybacking on the parking brake light signal. If not, then you should be able to pinpoint the signal wire and switch it yourself. They'd probably pre-wire it for you with bullet connectors so you could easily revert it for another driver.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Depending on your location, it may be illegal to watch videos while driving and it is also dangerous and I do not condone that behavior. With that being said, the wire that they will use will either need a constant 12VDC or a ground to trick the head unit into thinking that the parking brake has been applied.

On the head unit side, there may be a rear view camera input that you could use. Then, you could install a switch that would trick the head unit into thinking that the van is in reverse and it will display that input when you want.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all. Yes I will have the backup camera connected to 'Camera' input in the headunit. Then I'll ask them to connect the same video feed (using a video splitter) to the AUX input in the headunit as well. Camera will come on with reverse but I can always have the power to be 'always' on (or have it connected to parking lights for the AUX connection)

Since the installers will toggle the video on the headunit with the parking brake being on, I wanted to find out how to locate this parking brake connection and then to put a switch (like suggested) or to disable it.

This way, I can see the image in reverse normally. I can then also select AUX in the headunit while driving (and turn parking lights on for power) to see the image from camera.

·
Registered
174 Posts
What head unit are you installing? Some units have a feature that allow you to select the rear view camera to be displayed on the screen at any time. I had a Pioneer AVIC-D3 in one of my other vehicles and I was able to select the camera to be constantly displayed on my screen. This was helpful when using the hitch as I was able to check on the cargo at anytime while driving. The only change in installation was that the camera power source had to be a switched 12V+ rather than the typical reverse wire.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I do believe some Pioneer systems do that. Mine is the Sony XAV-60. Although it has a camera input, I dont see anywhere in its documentation that it can allow a camera view as an option to pick in its menu system while driving (unless I am missing it).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Finding the wire to the brake may be as simple as looking around the parking brake or as hard as removing the radio and following the wire. Just remember, you may void any warranty be modifying the install.

·
Administrator
14,556 Posts
Moved to the dedicated audio/video forum. For future, please post in correct forums to prevent thread locks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, as suggested above, looke like the best way would be to ask the installers to put a switch to make the headunit thinking it is in reverse and have constant power to the camera. This way I can monitor when I am pulling something behind the van. Thanks for all your suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts