Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying an Odyssey from a dealer I saw from this discussion group - Mike Churi. But the dealership is about 3 hrs drive from my home, vs. 5' for a local dealer. I've heard that people said it's far easier to take the vehicle back to the same dealer where it's purchased for services than to a different dealership. I wonder if anyone have experience on this? If so, is it worth to save 300 bucks from a distant dealer?

------------------
John
The potential EX owner

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I personally wouldn't drive 3 hours each way to save only $300, which is about 1/10 of one percent of the total price, even if I was absolutely positive that the aftersale service would be identical.

I'm not sure where the break-even point would be for me, but it is definitely higher than 0.1%.

If I really didn't like the local dealer, that's a different story - I wouldn't buy from him.

That $300 gets eaten up pretty fast by the cost to drive there and back. If the dealer is 200 miles away, that means you have the expense of an additional 600 miles (one rt in the current car plus a 1-way in the Ody). At an actual cost (not just gas!) of about $0.35/mile, you've spent more than half your $300 savings before you get back home!

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
100 Posts
I agree with Maugham that $300 is not worth 6 hr drive.

But I don't see any problem buying from a distant dealer. I bought mine from a dealer 40 miles away because none nearby had the van I, or rather, my wife wanted on THAT day. But I have had no problem getting services from a dealer 2 miles from my office. The dealer will get reimbursement from the factory for warranty services.

-- Hoa

------------------
GG '02 EX-L NAVI

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought my 2000 Odyssey from a dealer that's an hour and a half away and haven't been back since. All service, including a good amount of warranty work, was done at a closer dealer. No problems whatsoever. The closer dealer has replaced the battery (twice), the rear spoiler, done a front brake job, and fix rattles all under warranty.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bought one at a dealer about one hour away. After a week of the purchase, the bulb of the right turn signal was burnt. They replaced it free of charge. I don't know that the local dealer would do the same. At least it is much easier for us to ask the dealer where we purchased it if such minor failure happens. So closer is better if you can find a van.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts