Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Ody with the RES, and I'd like to set it up so that I can stream Disney+ movies on an iPad, and display them on the RES. From various threads I gather that the way to do this is combination of A/V cables (plugged into the ports near the back of the car), an HDMI converter, and an Apple A/V adapter.

Is that correct, or are there any other gotchas I should look out for (leaving aside the questions of being in places with a weak wifi signal, or of using up my data?)

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
647 Posts
Assuming you don't have the factory HDMI connector on the passenger side? (only found on the Elite trim)

There shouldn't be any issues with that. You can test most of the setup at home with your TV. Don't expect great quality, but hey... streaming movies in a car!

-Charlie

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just for clarification, you won't be connected to wifi when you are on the road. If your ipad is wifi/cellular capable, you will be connecting to the internet using the cell towers and cell data. If your ipad is wifi only, you can set up your smartphone to be a "hotspot" and you can connect your ipad via "wifi" to your hotspot smartphone. Will you be keeping the ipad in the back seat near the connectors for the RES? You could have the ipad in the front so your front passenger can control the ipad, but you'd need AV cables long enough to reach from the AV adapter. You could also use a smartphone to stream Disney + movies thus decreasing the amount of electronic accessories to schlep around--still need the AV adapter and AV cables though. This will decrease the loss of signal by avoiding the smartphone to ipad connection. Each time you turn off the vehicle and restart it you'll have to open up the disney plus app and navigate to the video and restart it--in light of that it would be very helpful to have the ipad/smartphone close to the front passenger. Also note that it is against vehicle code to have an active video/computer/ipad/tablet screen that is visible by the driver when a vehicle is moving (you can be ticketed with a moving violation for that as well as distracted driving), so don't be tempted to mount the ipad/phone on the dash where it can be seen by the driver.

Just re-reading the OP's post, there are deadspots in cellular coverage so you will lose internet connectivity in some areas.

·
Registered
2013 Odyssey Touring, 2018 Volvo V60
30 Posts
For the record, you can download content within the Disney plus app, so dead spots won't be an issue for downloaded content at least.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, everyone. Have ordered the parts, so hopefully it works.

vango5, just curious about your point about having the iPhone or whatever on the dashboard - do they really ticket for such a thing? Don't people often use their phone for navigation, for example? (In my case there will probably always be someone in the front passenger seat, so they can manage things from there.)

·
Registered
135 Posts
just curious about your point about having the iPhone or whatever on the dashboard - do they really ticket for such a thing?
That of course highly depends on your location. Laws vary from one state/city to another so you are probably better off asking your local PD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts