Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well just got back from the dealer to take a look at some of the 02 Odys they had, didn't get a test drive but the first impression is not a good one.

-First off, the new cloth pattern (in both LX and EX) is definately a step back, and the new seat pattern looks downmarket in cloth form.
-The new "deep bolstered" seat is not any more comfortable. Side bolstering is still nowhere to be found.
-New EX wheels are a HUGH step back from out sporty 5 spokes.
-The new amber tail lights dosen't match some of the exterior colours like Fern (GG), SS, MB, but looks great with the new Evergreen and TW.
-The new shiftknob still sucks.
-New large Honda "H" is overly done in the grill.
-Lastly and my biggest concern, all seatback are made from very cheap vinyl, looks and feel bad. What's up with that?

Things I liked:
-Leather is farly nice.
-Steering is pretty cool.
-Second row cupholder is beefy but should take a page out of Chrysler book and stay horizontal even if you flip the seat forward.
-Evergreen Pearl looks great.

Well that's all I have for now, until I get a chance to test drive them...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Which dealer in Miss. had ALL those colours in stock?!?!

·
Registered
11 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DDakRT:
-First off, the new cloth pattern (in both LX and EX) is definately a step back, and the new seat pattern looks downmarket in cloth form.
</font>
Hmmm...you think its a marketing ploy to get people to throw money at the high buck leather seats? I heard you can't even get the NAV with the cloth EX anymore. That's disappointing.

Tej

·
Registered
14 Posts

</font>
They want you to go with the LEATHER option.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

-The new "deep bolstered" seat is not any more comfortable. Side bolstering is still nowhere to be found....
</font>

Again, they want you to go with the leather seat.

-New EX wheels are a HUGH step back from out sporty 5 spokes. ...
</font>

I am kind of like the new wheels.

-The new amber tail lights dosen't match some of the exterior colours like Fern (GG), SS, MB, but looks great with the new Evergreen and TW. ...
</font>

Different people have different tastes and appreciations. It dosn't matter to me.

-The new shiftknob still sucks....
</font>

Have been driving standard cars for 30 years, it works fine for me.
-New large Honda "H" is overly done in the grill....
</font>

Checkout Chrysler T&C's large symbol.
-Lastly and my biggest concern, all seatback are made from very cheap vinyl, looks and feel bad. What's up with that?
</font>

Again, then go with the leather seat, it is the end of vinyl.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think the reason for the vinyl on the back of the cloth seats is so you can wipe them off after little feet kick them and get them dirty. I thought it was a good idea.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went to both Ideal Honda and Mississauga Honda. Neither had a Fern (GG) in stock but I can see how the amber tail light would look on it.

I do agree that Honda wants people to go with the leather option, but the bolstering is still the same, so...

As for the vinyl seatback. They are all like that, leather or not. They might be easier to clean, but with the quality of them, they don't even deserve to be in a Yugo.

P.S. You can't get Navi in a cloth EX anymore?

·
Registered
564 Posts
From the factory you CAN NOT get NAVI or RES without EXL. At least that's what they're saying...

-d

·
Registered
207 Posts
Maybe it's just me but I would expect the backs of the seats to be vinyl in a vehicle that costs less than $30k and has three rows of seats. I mean, three rows of leather is a lot of leather!

For comparative purposes, a $45k+ Yukon XL has leather only on the seating **surfaces** and the **entire** third-row seat is vinyl. Also, the $40k Suburban I owned had the crappiest looking leather I've ever seen in a vehicle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by delroy:
I think the reason for the vinyl on the back of the cloth seats is so you can wipe them off after little feet kick them and get them dirty. I thought it was a good idea.</font>

Do you mean that even the leather seats have vinyl on the back of the seats?

------------------

·
Registered
122 Posts
KC5162

No they do not.

1ODY2NV

2002 MB EXL-RES due Oct 2001

·
Registered
207 Posts
1ODY2NV:

Are you saying the seats are entirely covered in leather? The Ody brochure specifically states "leather-trimmed seats". Typically, when you see "leather-trimmed", "leather seating surfaces", and the like, the entire seat is not leather.

Considering even the base E-Class models (which start at around $50k), have vinyl seat backs, I find it difficult to believe that the seats on the EXLs are all leather.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Essentially all manufacturers that provide leather seats use vinyl backs and sides. This is nothing Honda is creating.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The seatbacks on the EX (cloth) is not vinyl. Its a plush solid color velour that matches the rest of the interior. I wish it was vinyl, now i'm going to get my childrens footprints all over the seatbacks.

About the 02 wheels, I'm sure you can find a willing person to trade a pre 02 with the newer ones. You can get the older wheels for about $100 each.

[This message has been edited by rainmanx (edited 09-10-2001).]

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lifer:
Essentially all manufacturers that provide leather seats use vinyl backs and sides. This is nothing Honda is creating.</font>
Precisely. Of course, you can upgrade your E-Class from the standard vinyl seatback to Nappa leather front and premium leather back (and finer wood trim) for like $6k extra. For a sub-$30k Ody, though, you're going to get vinyl backs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well just got back from the dealer to take a look at some of the 02 Odys they had, didn't get a test drive but the first impression is not a good one.

-The new "deep bolstered" seat is not any more comfortable. Side bolstering is still nowhere to be found.
-New EX wheels are a HUGH step back from out sporty 5 spokes.
-The new amber tail lights dosen't match some of the exterior colours like Fern (GG), SS, MB, but looks great with the new Evergreen and TW.
-The new shiftknob still sucks.
-New large Honda "H" is overly done in the grill.

Things I liked:
-Leather is farly nice.
-Steering is pretty cool.
-Second row cupholder is beefy but should take a page out of Chrysler book and stay horizontal even if you flip the seat forward.
-Evergreen Pearl looks great.

Well that's all I have for now, until I get a chance to test drive them...
</font>

Do you mean that even the leather seats have vinyl on the back of the seats?

------------------

·
Registered
68 Posts
rainmanx: I'm not a wheel expert, but the '02 Odysssey's have 225/60 tires, while the pre-02 models have 215/65's. I wonder if the new rims are slightly wider to accomodate the new tire size?

Greg
- 2000 Odyssey EX TW non-navi
- 2000 3.2TL FR non-navi

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't think the 02 wheels are wider. I think its a standard size wheel and should fit 215 or 225 just fine. Someone on the forum said he/she switched to 235/60/16 with 01 wheels which in my opinion is a better fit (more close to the 215/65/16 overall diameter).

215*0.65=139.75cm, 5.50in*2 + 16in = 27.00in diameter
225*0.6=135cm, 5.315*2 + 16 = 26.63 diameter
235*0.6=141cm, 5.55*2 + 16 = 27.10 diameter

tire width will increase 10 and 20 cm.

·
Registered
32 Posts
EX cloth has velour (cloth) seatbacks
EX leather has vinyl seatbacks
LX cloth - do not know.

[This message has been edited by rainmanx (edited 09-10-2001).]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts