Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I LOVE Honda machines.
I owned a 1988 Accord (original owner...until it have 300,000 miles on it, then sold it for $2,000) and still have a 2003 Accord (original owner!) with over 150K on it.
We bought a 2004 Ody about 3 years ago.
Over all we have been satisfied. I researched until my fingertips were blue on this generation, until I was comfortable that the 2004 models had the tranny issues worked out.
While the tranny is still intact (albeit, it does a HARD shift from 1st to 2nd, and sometimes shakes around 2K RPMS in 3rd gear) the van just doesn't "feel" right anymore.
I am used to old cars. 7 years is just broken in to me, but there is something that just doesn't feel/fit right with this van to me.

Having said all that, my wife and I are considering the next generation (though we LOVE the 2011 models, we are paying cash for our next car).

We will have about $18,000 to $20,000 in the bank saved for a car (been saving since we paid off the 04 Ody.)

Two questions:
1) Which year would I most likely be able to afford with decent miles (50K or less) in the 2005 - 2008 year range.
2) of those models, which have the fewest reported issues/recalls? Particularly drive-train.tranny issues.

Leather/cloth are of no concern to me, nor is the DVD system (we have one now, but getting one installed aftermarket would be fine for me.)

Thanks in advance all!

·
Registered
786 Posts
If you are really concerned about transmission issues, you should be aware that the 2005 & 2006 models have a different transmission than the 2007 - 2010, although neither had anywhere near the issues that the 2nd gen had. Also, avoid all but some of the 2008 Tourings if you don't want to deal with PAX.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I was an owner of an 01 Ody, nice vehicle until we starting having transmission problems in 04, traded in for an 05. Now at 95k, no serious problems to speak of.

To date, the only real maintenance items were the front engine mount and replacing the rollers for the sliding doors, both were covered by the Honda Care.

Replaced the tires at 40k with some Cooper CS4s, they have been great tires, should get at least another year out of them.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Get the 08-10 model as they are much improved 3rd Gen.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are really concerned about transmission issues, you should be aware that the 2005 & 2006 models have a different transmission than the 2007 - 2010, although neither had anywhere near the issues that the 2nd gen had. Also, avoid all but some of the 2008 Tourings if you don't want to deal with PAX.
Thanks for the reply!
Forgiv emy ignorance, but what is PAX?

And as for the person who recommended I get an 08-10 model, would I be able to get one with decent miles for under $20,000 as I am paying with cash.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Get the 08-10 model as they are much improved 3rd Gen.
My 2010 is no better than my 2006 was. Same van, same ****ty brakes, power steering stiffness, and more quality control issues at delivery.

My suspension is feeling loose now too at only 24k miles.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Mine was bought brandnew Jul 6,2009 with no problems at delivery. Today is July 5,2011 and 15,139 miles on the odometer still not having any problems at all. Try to check you might have a '10 Lemon.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Get a Sienna

·
Registered
14 Posts
from what I've found out...

just did a lot of research into Odyssey's, in preparation for buying a used one to replace my 2000 LX with 189K miles on it. It just recently started having tranny issues (hard shifts, slipping, etc). The used car market in general is at a high right now. I'm on the vehicle warranty side of the car business and dealers are paying "clean NADA trade" value for quality units right now....at WHOLESALE auctions, so by the time they recondition, mark them up, etc...be prepared to pay very close if not above "Clean Retail NADA" value for inventory found at the big franchise lots.

I'd say for $18-$20k, you can get into a very low mileage 07' EX or a mid 60K mile 08' EX.

Personally, I'd look and buy from an individual who bought the unit new and has maintenance records. You'll save at least a $1000 to $1500...and possibly up to about $3500. Craigslist is a great place to start looking.

I just picked up a one owner 2006 EX-L in excellent condition (brand new goodyear tires, honda battery, all maintenance done with records at honda dealership) for under "Clean Trade Value". Similar units in the Okla/Tex area at new car dealerships were bringing $16,500 to $18,000 dollars. I paid $13,500 and have ALL the history, maintenance, key fobs, valet key, manuals, dvd, etc...which most dealers rarely have.

As for the "PAX" system the other guy mentioned....he's right. The Touring models have that system/run-flat tire set up, which identifies tire pressures, etc. however, they are extremely expensive tires to replace and they last only about 35k miles or so. Have seen LOTS of owners complaining about them on various sites while doing my research. The "Touring"s look sweet...but I did not want the headache and expense of being stuck HAVING to go back to those tires to replace them (the unique wheel size dictates the expensive tires).

Oh, for what it's worth....the latest consumer reports "used car research", shows that the 07' model is the year that showed "major transmission" issues. No other years from 05' through 10' showed any tranny issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
While the tranny is still intact (albeit, it does a HARD shift from 1st to 2nd, and sometimes shakes around 2K RPMS in 3rd gear) the van just doesn't "feel" right anymore.
How many miles does it have on it? It seems that most get somewhere around 140k on a tranny. We replaced the tranny on our '04 at just under 140k and the second tranny was still going strong when we traded it in at 276k miles. Honestly I see a lot of people wanting to get rid of their vans for fear of the tranny going out, but if you work through the math it might make more sense to just keep it and replace the tranny if/ when it needs it. The tranny was the only major problem we had with ours. The van was paid for by the time we needed to swap out the tranny and it was a lot cheaper to do that then to get a new (or newer used) vehicle.

Regarding the shaking you mentioned, it might be one of the motor/ tranny mounts. Odysseys do tend to break the mounts over time.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Thanks for the reply!
Forgiv emy ignorance, but what is PAX?

As for the "PAX" system the other guy mentioned....he's right. The Touring models have that system/run-flat tire set up, which identifies tire pressures, etc. however, they are extremely expensive tires to replace and they last only about 35k miles or so. Have seen LOTS of owners complaining about them on various sites while doing my research. The "Touring"s look sweet...but I did not want the headache and expense of being stuck HAVING to go back to those tires to replace them (the unique wheel size dictates the expensive tires).

He's right, and that's exactly what I was referring to. There are quite a few threads about PAX on this forum in case your interested in reading about them, but many will tell you to just stay away.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We've had our 2005 since 10k, 85k now and it's been very reliable. The biggest thing with used cars is usually inheriting someone elses problem or lack of maintenance. Maintenance records and CarFax a must.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Get a Sienna
:duh::laugh:
Doesn't seem like bad advice if he really is dissatisfied with the 2004 (In the actual post the OP doesn't sound that dissatisfied) . I would at least drive the Sienna.

I drove them both and prefered the 2005/6 Odyssey over the Sienna even though I'm pretty much a Toyota loyalist. That said the Sienna is a good van.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Doesn't seem like bad advice if he really is dissatisfied with the 2004 (In the actual post the OP doesn't sound that dissatisfied) . I would at least drive the Sienna.

I drove them both and prefered the 2005/6 Odyssey over the Sienna even though I'm pretty much a Toyota loyalist. That said the Sienna is a good van.
I have no problem with any Toyota. Honestly, the one reason I steer clear of any toyota is the only local dealer near me. I used to own a 2003 Pre-runner. Loved that truck. took it in to the dealer for routine maint. one time. My last time. Compared to my local Honda shop, the toyota dealership here is a bunch of bozos. very unprofessional, very slow service, and frankly pretty rude to me, albeit that was about 7 years ago and I am sure the entire staff has rolled over.

I like to take my cars to the dealers for routine maint. I know, I am a sucker :-/

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So in summary, go for an 06 or 08 since the 07 reports more tranny issues than others of that gen.
Hit up Craigslsit or local ads for original owners with maintenance records.
Thanks all! Just had that blinking Drive light today (4th clutch thing needs replacing?) so I am wondering if the ol' gal is starting to give up on me.

·
Registered
174 Posts
So in summary, go for an 06 or 08 since the 07 reports more tranny issues than others of that gen.
Hit up Craigslsit or local ads for original owners with maintenance records.
Thanks all! Just had that blinking Drive light today (4th clutch thing needs replacing?) so I am wondering if the ol' gal is starting to give up on me.
Thew know when you're looking to replace them. :(

2005 Touring here, 62k miles, new PAX tires, drives great, very stable, quiet, efficient for what it is.

I'm doing a tranny service this weekend, or I may wait another couple weeks & install a trans cooler at the same time. If you don't tow a trailer and don't beat the hell out of it, just replace the trans fluid & filter every 10k miles or so, helps a lot.

I have 4 kids, 14yo, 10yo twins, and a 7 month old, I like having the PAX's. I just need a spare added in the existing hole in the back for added safety. I like my wife being able to drive 50+ miles before stopping & calling AAA.

I paid around 16k with new PAX's. almost a year ago.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My '08 has been pretty good except for the bad door seal, B-pillar wind rattle, leaky rear shocks, bad rear wheel bearing, warped rotors, airbag light that can't be fixed, exhaust rattle at 2,300 rpm, squeaky driver's window, and peeling paint. Luckily for me, most of this occurred out of warranty...

Love my NSX... hate my Odyssey.

My Toyotas have been basically bulletproof. Will switch to the new Sienna in the future.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
You and me both SoCal!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts