Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the distributor to change the temp sensor below it,
I figured if I put it back in the timing would be correct etc.

I re installed everything and the engine would not start.

SO I figured maybe the shaft that is keyed to only fit in 2 ways was flipped, so I took it out and noticed one of the slots was broken off, I reached in and touched it to get it out and it fell into the engine somewhere...

I have a used distributor on order, but am wondering if there could be any damage done being an interference engine?

I plan on replacing the timing belt, distributor, valve cover gasket, and water pump.. to get this back up and running... I'll be calling a mobile mechanic at this point !!

anyways should I be concerned, or will this baby fire right up when put back together and timed properly?

·
Registered
221 Posts
The piece should be under the valve cover (remove the cover for inspection). If not it would be in the pan. Wouldn't worry about it too much.

Valve damage would only occur if the engine snapped the timing belt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this is good news... I found a distributor with shaft on ebay for under $60 also ordered the timing belt kit with valve cover gasket and water pump/ tensioners etc. $72, now to talk a mechanic into this job for about $175 and I'll be in good shape.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well we found a mechanic (cheap on Craigslist)
Claimed to be ase but found out he is in school and this job was credit hours.

I came home after they started the job, the timing belt was broke just so they could remove it, The crankshaft pulley was still on and the lower cover? not sure why. Then noticed the crankshaft pulley was broken. I told them they broke it and they denied it, I later found a piece in the drive way, so they will go get a new one. they are not back today HMMMM

The method used to remove the crankshaft was turning over the engine by starting it, this broke the extension on the ratchet and likely the crankshaft pulley. I'm not sure if the belt was off at this point. they soon began sticking a prybar on my flywheel to get it to budge, a piece of the housing broke but I don't think the flywheel itself.

SO HERE I AM, and maybe now my valves are bent?

what do you think, removing the pulley after the belt, is that a bad idea?

also if the belt was off when they cranked it over that could have bent the valves too right?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
:eek:

If thet tried to start it with the crank held, they tightened the bolt, not loosened it. That is why the crank is broken.

Not to be a jerk, but you got what you paid for in a cheap mechanic. Time to source a new motor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had another mechanic come over and get her in tune.. $175

it's running good as far as timing, though still troubleshooting another issue.

thanks for the replies, thank goodness engine is fine!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts