Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
As @ArmyCa said, the filer resembles the insides of a traditional oil filter.
In the 10spd transmission, the filter is internal and once you remove the ATF warner 'puck', you can access it. The honda 5spd and 6spd also came with these types of filters.

In the 9spd (ZF derived) the filter is external and can be found in the AWD equipped models using this transmission.

·
Registered
108 Posts
As @ArmyCa said, the filer resembles the insides of a traditional oil filter.
In the 10spd transmission, the filter is internal and once you remove the ATF warner 'puck', you can access it. The honda 5spd and 6spd also came with these types of filters.

In the 9spd (ZF derived) the filter is external and can be found in the AWD equipped models using this transmission.
Has anyone tried changing the filter? I didn't see anything on google about changing it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Watch this video on youTube, you will see it in first ten minutes...
Wow, thanks! That looks really easy.
I think I would change it when doing the coolant maybe around 3-4 years or 30-40k.
Maybe drain and fill and filter every other time. Reminds me of my motorcycle oil filters.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Wow, thanks! That looks really easy.
I think I would change it when doing the coolant maybe around 3-4 years or 30-40k.
Maybe drain and fill and filter every other time. Reminds me of my motorcycle oil filters.
It is straightforward when the transmission is on a table.
Use extreme caution if you are planning to go that far and pull all the electronics aside and get to the ATF warmer and pull it out to access the filter. Forgetting to connect a ground or clip a connector, would be a headache to figure out and address.

My fluid, at the time of change, had a hint of brown (as expected). I noticed that in my Ridgeline as well. Subsequent changes had more red hue to it than the initial one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was accessing the level of difficulty to drain and fill my 2018 Odyssey Elite (10 speed, seemingly Type B transmission) when I was doing oil change. I took the splash guard and the transmission metal cover away, but still find the space to access the fill bolt and level check screw is very tight. I wonder there is enough space to move around. Also it is difficult to have a direct sight on the fill bolt. I took off the air intake at the top, but there is almost no help to see the fill bolt.

I used to do drain and fill my old 2007 Odyssey, and it was like a breeze, simplier than oil change. It appears Honda really made it difficult to maintain by owner now (The oil filter right above the control arm).

If the $500 is the transmission service fee, it is definitely a rip off.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
You cannot look at the fill bolt head on, you cannot see it from the top for sure.
You can only see it from the bottom once the splash guard is removed. This is a two hand job.

The 5spd & 6spd transmission with the fill bolt on the top were easy to access, but gone are those days as these transmissions and packaging is more complex.

·
Registered
927 Posts
If you buy one of those Mityvac ATF fill tools or alike plus the L shaped attachment needed to put the pipe into the hole, you should be good.

See attached example:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
What is the ideology behind a $230 fancy jug to do the ATF service? Typically folks use that to replace fluids via the dip stick tube; these transmissions do not have one. A $4 funnel and a generic piece of tubing works just fine. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
9 Posts
You cannot look at the fill bolt head on, you cannot see it from the top for sure.
You can only see it from the bottom once the splash guard is removed. This is a two hand job.

The 5spd & 6spd transmission with the fill bolt on the top were easy to access, but gone are those days as these transmissions and packaging is more complex.
Thanks for the info. I will try to do it by myself.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts