Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DIY: 2007 Honda Odyssey Autozone Duralast 24F-DL

- OEM Battery has a 3-yr/36-month warranty (no pro-rated plan!).

- There is a high incidence of premature battery failure in the 3rd generation Odyssey. Mine failed at 37 months and 34K miles.

- I use Autozone Duralast 24F-DL. "DL" = Duralast.

- Stay away from “Everlast” series ($10 cheaper but not worth it).

- Autozone has a large network of stores in the US so this helps when you are traveling and have battery problems. Autozone battery has a 3-yr/36-month warranty and pro-rated plan.

- As of August 2007, I paid $79.95 for the 24F battery.

- Changing the battery is very easy but there are some tricks that may help people.

- All you need is a 10-mm wrench.

- Cut the plastic zip tie holding the electrical cable sheath (Yellow arrow; be careful not to cut the insulating sheath), then undo the “Plastic Nut”. The 10-mm metal nut holding the Battery hold down is underneath the Plastic Nut.

- Note the retaining hooks (2 of them) face away from the battery itself.

- Use some tiny amount of grease on the 10-mm nuts to prevent seizing later.

- Remove the Plastic Box (that holds the battery) and give it a good clean with some water.

- When all done, I apply a thin smear of grease on around the battery terminal areas to minimize corrosion.

- Check water level to be sure all the battery plates are submerged. Water level should be about 1 inch below the very top surface of the battery.

That is all folks, not difficult at all!

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
606 Posts
easier than my Olds van with side post terminals, a body reinforcement bar you had to remove and the fuse box and all its heavy wires was on top of it as well.

FYI, contrary to popular myth, a coat of grease on the posts before assembly helps to maintain clean contacts as well as grease on outside. Old WWII subs had grease all over their battery terminals and connections and their performance was mission critical.

good job posting.:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great DIY!

Really appreciate this and the pic. Got little over 4 years out of my factory installed battery starting to have problems. I'm not very handy so a little nervous about trying this so just trying to get all my ducks in a row before attempting. Just a few follow-up questions for you:

1. Will a 10mm socket wrench with extension work ok or do you need a 10mm hand wrench?

2. What exactly do you mean when you say the retaining hooks face away from the battery? Can you point on the picture you have?

3. Once battery is in what else do you have to do. Is it just enter the radio code?

Thanks again for this. Really appreciate it!

2007 Odyssey EX

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
cnn said:
DIY: 2007 Honda Odyssey Autozone Duralast 24F-DL

- OEM Battery has a 3-yr/36-month warranty (no pro-rated plan!).

dang mine just died, its not 36 mos yet (6/6/08 so 31 or so months old, w/ 50k) . went and replaced it w/ an interstate from sams......

·
Registered
14 Posts
My second Honda battery lasted 23 months. It kept dying in cold weather and not starting. The first one lasted about the same. These factory Honda batteries are too small and junk. So I went with the Autozone Duralast Gold.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Mine died at about 40 months but the worst part was it went without giving any warning. The car had been starting fine with no negative indications and then we parked the car on a warm sunny day went to restart and it was totally dead, not even a weak crank. Usually there are signs.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have the 24F "Gold" which is just like the one on your picture but with a yellow top. My first one lasted 11 months and was promptly replaced under warranty. Also, I noticed the posts on the battery seem a bit too small for the Ody's cables. You can tighten them up but they don't seem to clamp the posts very well. Has anyone else had this problem ??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the 24F "Gold" which is just like the one on your picture but with a yellow top. My first one lasted 11 months and was promptly replaced under warranty. Also, I noticed the posts on the battery seem a bit too small for the Ody's cables. You can tighten them up but they don't seem to clamp the posts very well. Has anyone else had this problem ??
I'm having the same problem. Just changed mine last night using the 24F Gold and can't get the cables tight. Any solutions yet?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These are my tricks over the years:

1. Get a pair of pliers and gently bend the cable terminal ends (where the bolt is) OUTWARD just a bit, so when you tighten the bolt, it bites better.
Do not over-tighten this 10-mm bolt, just snug it.

2. Or get a file and file the cable terminal ends (where they touch each other).

#1: Bend OUTWARD (Red)
#2: File flat parts (Blue)

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
im planning on replacing the battery on my 06 this weekend. Had a question though. Will i need to unlock my radio afterwards? Where can i get the unlock code?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the posts on the Autozone 24F are too small. My cables are actually slipping off and the nuts are completely tightened down.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Did you make sure the cables were pushed all the way to the bottom of the posts before tightening? I had a similar issue when reconnecting the cables after I had removed the batter tray for the trans filter change. Didn't change my battery, but the post is tapered and the cable didn't snug up fully at the top of the post.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I think the posts on the Autozone 24F are too small. My cables are actually slipping off and the nuts are completely tightened down.
You need battery post shims. They are $1.67 at autozone.

·
Registered
191 Posts
you need to get the post shim, don't tight the OEM cable crazy tight and you will only find you ruin it when you(or next owner) switch back to Honda battery

1 - 18 of 18 Posts