Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of folks are installing their own Honda accessories such as the fog lights.

Has anyone had any problems with the dealer claiming because you have installed things yourself if it voids certain parts of the warranty?

Just curious before I venture into my own DIY projects (Honda accessories like fog lamps).

·
Registered
632 Posts
I installed foglights myself on my '09 EXL-RES. Bought parts from Bernardi at $230 and 4.5 hrs installation time. Instead of paying the dealership $480+tax. Warranty wise I dont think taking your bumper off to install fogs will void your tranny warranty. They have to prove that what you've done is the culprit of the failure to void your warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the input.

I know they are supposed to prove it is your fault, but I have heard some off the wall reasons deales come up with.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Let the modding begin...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Absolutely!

Sometimes it is fun to mods even if you don't need them...well, because you can :rockon:

·
Registered
411 Posts
If you mess with your fogs, you won't void your, say, transmission coverage (unless you foul up the electronics with your ham-handed muckings and somehow blow up the computer controlling the entire vehicle. Don't see that happening). You're protected (usually) by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Basically: You may void your fog light warranty coverage, but not anything else. Mod away... :D

But say you do go to [your dealer] and some [gunzel] tells you "your [carefully-engineered mod] has voided your vehicle's warranty," and you vehement disagree with his stoopidity. Here's the magic words to eliminate that from your life forever: :huh:

"Would you put that in writing and sign it, please? Company stationery (or even a work or repair order) with your dealership's information will do. Thanks. I'll have your corporate and my people look at it." :tongue:

Lots of hourly repair order jockeys, drunk on the power afforded them by their custom-embroidered name on their shirt, try to lord over us lesser-equipped peons who just happen to help pay for their [meager] salaries. They want you to slink away knowing how powerful they truly are. Call them on it. :DD

They're not about to put their job in jeopardy, they know they're wrong [on some level], and they're not about to give you ammunition to prove them wrong. Goodwill, ponies, and rainbows will ensue, and you will not have to suffer [the upbraided gunzel]'s stoopidity henceforth... :coolio:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mods and Warranty

I installed an Alpine sound system myself and later an electrical problem occurred from the door lights, the dealer NEVER helped me find the problem and I went through hell replacing batteries, wiring, fuses...Grrr. (and I'm a licensed master electrician).

If you install anything or modify something, make sure it can all be removed or put back when you take your car to the dealer! OR pay up and have everything done by them....

·
Registered
355 Posts
I installed an Alpine sound system myself and later an electrical problem occurred from the door lights, the dealer NEVER helped me find the problem and I went through hell replacing batteries, wiring, fuses...Grrr. (and I'm a licensed master electrician).

If you install anything or modify something, make sure it can all be removed or put back when you take your car to the dealer! OR pay up and have everything done by them....
Rules might be different up in Canada but down here in the US they are supposed to prove the mod caused the problem. I've had to fight a dealer once for a customer because the tech said the amp install caused the ingition system to fry in his VW Beetle. I went over the install with their tech and asked him to show me how it caused the problem and after looking over how everything was hooked up and showing him on the schematic that it couldn't cause the problem they had to fix it. Turns out a fw months later VW had a recall for this problem. :) The moral is some times you have to be pretty forceful and make them prove the problem, if they can't then they have o fix it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts