Honda Odyssey Forum banner

DIY: ATF flush and fill + Magnefine filter installation

144751 Views 178 Replies 50 Participants Last post by  planomateo
Moderator Edit:

Since the pictures are missing, if you want pictures, you can go directly to the following post in this thread to get the pictures.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=522553#post522553

I just did a complete ATF flush and refill on my 2000 Ody as some people have suggested on this board. Previously, I did a drain and refill at 45K and the infamous “3X” drain and refill by a dealer around 95K. Now the car is over 130K and I started to feel little sluggish lately. The whole process took less than 3 hours including a Magnefine filter installation. Here are the pics. Many thanks to all those people who’ve posted HOWTOs on this project.

Parts needed: case of Honda Z1 ATF (12), Magnefine filter, 2 hose clamps

Tools: screw driver, hose cutter, 3/8” drive ratchet, ½” drive handle + long extension (>12”), 17mm socket, [not in pics:] oil drain pan, measuring bucket (enough to hold 3qts), 12” clear hose (3/4” in diameter), roll of paper/shop towels

Remove the plastic splash guard on the bottom of the engine compartment. Use a screw driver to unplug bumper and fender plugs.

Remove the ATF fill plug using a 17mm socket with long extension. Newer Odys or rebuilt trannies may no longer have this fill plug. Use the dip stick tube instead for refills.

Use a ¾ driver ratchet to remove the transmission drain plug.

Drain ATF. Slightly over 3 Qts should come out.

Clean the gunk around the magnetic part of the drain plug and screw it back in with 36 ft-lbs torque.

Refill ATF. Pour in about 3 ½ Qts.

Cut returning ATF rubber hose on the driver side. Don’t do this if you’re not installing a Magnefine filter. You can simply remove the hose from the ATF cooler.

Insert one end of the clear hose over the factory hose on the radiator side. The other end should point to the measuring bucket.
See less See more
1 - 20 of 179 Posts
Part II

Turn on the engine. Drain about 2 ½ Qts and stop the engine.

Refill 2 ½ Qts of ATF.

Repeat last two steps until you notice clean ATF coming out of the clear hose or until you refill about 10-11 Qts.

Reinsert the fill plug with 33 ft-lbs torque.

Remove the clear hose. Cut about 2” from the factory hose and install the Magnefine filter. Follow the flow direction.

Attach the splash guard and go for a test drive. Done!!!
See less See more
Great pictures and write-up!

Did you experience noticeable improvement in shift quality after the flush and filter installation?

Here is what I have done to my '99 EX's transmission:

1x drain & refill at 27k
1x drain & refill at 45k
3x drain & refill at 95k
2x drain & refill at 99k + cooler & filter installed

Since 95k, the van hasn't seemed to accelerate as quickly as before with roughly the same pressure on the pedal. But there is no abnormal/delayed shifting or noise. After the trans services at 95k and 99k, now at 105k, the van runs the same and gives me the "lag" feeling. So I just learn to be patient (but people following me don't seem to be that way). I might just need to give it a big push next time.
See less See more
I can't tell if it improved the shift. I have occasional harsh downshift issues since the day I got the van and I think I still have that problem. However, I feel ...and my wife agrees.. that noticeable sluggishness is gone. Maybe it is just psychological. :)
Just on the odd chance - the downshifting is not the Grade Logic feature of the transmission you are feeling is it?

The old ATF in the picture looks rather dark or maybe it just looks that way.

I had a Magnefine installed as well.
..the downshifting is not the Grade Logic feature of the transmission you are feeling is it?...
Maybe. It only happens on a downhill. I've read the recall notice and talked to dealer about it and they said it is not abnormal.

The oil looks dark because of lighting. it was in "coke" color which is normal for 30K usage(?)
Here is just one thread explaining the Grade Logic feature of the transmission.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31947&highlight=grade+logic
The downshifting when going downhill sounds like the grade logic in action. I made a trip to Seattle last summer; my ody downshifted a lot in Oregan when I hit the brake pedal to slow it down as I went down hills. If it is not a abrupt downshift, it should be normal.
tried to do the drain and refill today..however, I am not able to loose the refill bolt ..The car has 42k miles and I had a local shop to do the 30k miles service for me. I thougt it will be easy to loose that bolt, but that's not the case..

Also, I can't find anything could fit the dip stick hole. What kind of tube do I need if I'd like to refill the ATF from the dip stick hole?

Jason
See threads about doing a trans fluid change in the 02-04 vans that have the oil jet mounted on the fill plug. In those threads the size of tubing used is posted. Most use a hose that fits over the dipstick tube and onto a funnel. I think the main thread was called "changing transmission fluid after oil jet recall"
got it..it's 3/8"..

thanks for the help..I should have searched it first..my bad ..
today, I tried to attac the atf refill bolt again...
this time, with a deep socket, couple longer extension, and a big break bar, I finally made it...

I drained the atf without lift the car. got 3 qt and 6 oz of dirty atf..then I refilled with same amount of honda atf oil.
What should the change interval on the Magenfine filter be ? - Thanks
Magnefine interval

rkpatt said:
What should the change interval on the Magenfine filter be ? - Thanks
30K..
Hey guys,
Great thread. I was going to do my first ATF change on my 2006 Ody (25000mi). I was thinking of installing a magnefine filter. Do you guys know if there could be any warrantee issues if I install one?

Thanks,
Steve
Your transmission has a filter. The 99-01 four speeds did not. So adding one for you is a convenience, peace of mind thing, not a necessity. As to warranty issues, Honda actually adds a filter when replacing the four speeds.
Hey egads,
Thanks for the info. My transmission looks like a split case design (no pan that can be removed). So, I assume that the stock filter is not servicable (replaceable) on a periodic basis.

I guess I'll just drain the ATF as per this thread ( drain bolt and from the hose connected to the radiator) without installing an extra filter.

Thanks again egads,
Steve
Yes it does it a 5 speed

sekess said:
Hey egads,
Thanks for the info. My transmission looks like a split case design (no pan that can be removed). So, I assume that the stock filter is not servicable (replaceable) on a periodic basis.

I guess I'll just drain the ATF as per this thread ( drain bolt and from the hose connected to the radiator) without installing an extra filter.

Thanks again egads,
Steve
If its a late model 5 speed it does have a filter

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28594&highlight=atf+and+filter

A lot of us are using the magnefine since it add a magnet in the flow path (rather than relying on what falls to the magnet in the drain plug) and the magenfine should take some of the load off the OEM filter which is a little bit of a pain to replace...

From web site for magnefine...
http://www.bossproductsusa.com/back_info.html

Boss Magnetic Filtration products will not affect your new or used car warranty.

In fact, Ford Motor Company and DaimlerChrysler have been supplying the Magnefine product for many years. Your warranty is protected - which simply means it meets the vehicle manufacturer's requirement for oil flow. All Boss Products are tested to ensure they meet or exceed all Original Equipment Manufacturers' flow requirements.
See less See more
You don't even have to be as obsessive as to remove any hoses. Just do a normal drain and fill, using the drain plug, with a new crush washer, torquing to spec. Do that for say, the next three oil changes. Then a schedule of every other oil change. This is what Honda mechanics do on their own cars. Honda Odyssey transmission problems are: extreme in 99-01, happen some in 02-04, and except for some that died within days of delivery, none reported at all for 05-07. There is not even any evidence that frequent changes help with failures. However, Honda makes it easy to change the fluid and it may help long term . That is why I do it. My 02 (and my wife's 03) may never fail because of fundamental problems. I may have a transmission with high mileage (my wife's is currently 135k) so maintenance now is really for later.
See less See more
I did not realize that the Ody transmissions had gotten that much more reliable. That's great news. I will follow the schedule you outlined egads.

Pretty cool that Honda has an external AT filter. I thought it might have been one of those screens inside the case.

Thanks,
Steve
1 - 20 of 179 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.