Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 458 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My parents had a silly debate on whether or not the clock had a backlight. I took it upon myself to do some research and as I suspected, there was indeed a backlight. I came across this thread and decided to fix the lamp. The instructions were very detailed and overall, the process was fairly simple. However, there was a lack of pictures and I noticed there was a demand for them. Hopefully, this tutorial will provide some help to the people who were afraid to do it themselves. Keep in mind, this was my first time removing a dashboard.

I’ll go step-by-step through the pictures, so you don’t have to juggle back and forth between this and the other thread.

TOOLS REQUIRED:
- 10mm or 1/4" socket wrench to disconnect battery
- phillips screw driver
- working gloves
- tiny flathead screwdriver to remove hazard button connector
- wrapped flathead screwdriver for prying. (not needed if you have small fingers)

1. Here’s the part you need to buy, Radio Shack part #272-1092. Despite Radio Shack’s rip-off prices, this was only $1.49 for two micro lamps.

2. Disconnect the battery. Personally, I don’t believe this step is necessary, but you can do it to be on the safe side.

3. Put on the emergency brake. With the engine off, shift down it into the lowest gear to give yourself some clearance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
4. Remove the panels to the left and right of the steering column. WEAR GLOVES! I found it easiest to start from the side closest to the steering column and pull from there. If you notice in the picture, I also removed the cap that covers the hole where a button is supposed to go. Use that hole to pull, too.

right side removed

left side removed

5. After you remove the left and right panels, you need to remove a total of 8 screws.

4 behind the right panel

2 behind the left panel

2 above the gauge cluster

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
6. Once those screws are removed, the top panel can be pulled out. The part by the gauges is the hardest to remove. Just be careful with the plastic panels and work your way from the sides.

top panel removed

7. Behind the top panel, you’ll notice two wires that connect to the hazard light and clock. You can unplug the clock easily, but the hazard light requires a small screwdriver to release the lock.

8. I took the top panel inside to give myself some more work space. Here it is lying on my kitchen table.

front

back

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
9. Remove the plastic housing that covers the clock. The lamp is located on the top left of the circuit board. It removes with a simple twist.

10. And after ALL that work, you can finally replace the lamp. I wish I took the picture with a penny to show a size comparison. It’s a shame it requires all this work to get to a tiny lamp.

11. Replace your panels and screws and you’re all done!!

SIT BACK AND ENJOY YOUR CLOCK AT NIGHT

·
Registered
531 Posts
Cool work! Great pictures. I'll pass on to my friend with 2nd Gen Odyssey.:D

·
Registered
614 Posts
Nice job documenting the fix. I was under the impression that getting to the clock was impossible. I love these $2 part fixes.

BrianB

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Excellent post on the clock light

This is a great post on replacing the clock light, especially with pictures. Pictures make all the difference! I had the clock light replaced under warranty already and now I feel like I can handle this myself if it burns out again with these pics... Thanks.

·
Registered
13,594 Posts
Once You have done this once, (I've done it three times-two Odys) you will be able to remove the lamp without removing the entire upper trim. I don't even remove anything on the left side but the screws above the speedo. Once you know what the lamp looks like (thanks for the pictures!) reaching in to twist it out is easy. One skipped step here is removing and replaceing the lamps from radio shack from the little grey plastic holder. You need a teenager's eyesight to do it.;) The lamp, when purchased from a dealer's parts counter, has the lamp as a complete unit. Considering how often the burn out, two for $1.49 sure beats one for $4.50 from the dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
egads said:
Once You have done this once, (I've done it three times-two Odys) you will be able to remove the lamp without removing the entire upper trim. I don't even remove anything on the left side but the screws above the speedo. Once you know what the lamp looks like (thanks for the pictures!) reaching in to twist it out is easy. One skipped step here is removing and replaceing the lamps from radio shack from the little grey plastic holder. You need a teenager's eyesight to do it.;) The lamp, when purchased from a dealer's parts counter, has the lamp as a complete unit. Considering how often the burn out, two for $1.49 sure beats one for $4.50 from the dealer.
haha. I thought that part was self explainitory. It's a lot smaller than I expected, so you do need really good eyesight. I'm only 20, so I still have my eyesight. :p

·
Registered
61 Posts
Has anyone looked at installing and LED in place of the radio shack bulb? If so does anyone know what LED (ie at Radio Shack) and how to do it (solder instructions etc). Also are the other lights for other items in the dash the same radio shack bulb? Might as well replace as many as I can get to when I do it.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Great job with the pictures.. should probably put this into the TECH section.. this question comes up often.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Great Job, I really love this work. Thanks for your great work and for pics.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
This repair kinda reminds me of the time they had to remove the engine from my Chevy Citation in order to replace the rear crankshaft oil seal. If our light goes out, I think I will keep a flashlight in the console.:stupid:

Jerry O.

·
Registered
72 Posts
just be careful of the front panel, the bottom part, it break very easy, my dealer broke mind, they have to pay for the part, anyway, mind is still under warranty, and they seem they don't want to fix it at the first place, but my 03 ody is less the 20000 mile at that time, so they have to anyway, and i guess they have no idea what they are doing, anyway, if the light gone again, i am sure i will do it myself, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just replaced this clock bulb last night. Took about 30 min, never having done it before . The picts helped a LOT thank you. One thing that maybe I just missed, didnt notice it mentioned here, but the clock light and the odometer both dont light up with the lights on, they engage with the key in the accessory position. I was looking for it to light up with the headlights activated and the accessory position off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I did this repair today and had a couple of observations. The first was the lack of a tight fit when twisting in the bulb assembly. I used a little silicone on the edge to keep it from backing out with car vibrations. Secondly, it seems that this bulb stays on all the time when the car is operating. It is just dimmed when the light switch is turned on. No wonder the thing burns out often. It is on all the time the car is running. Sure looks great with the light working. Thanks for the pics and help.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Someone else may have mentioned this but something else I found out is that your need to do the idle learn procedure after you change the bulb if you disconnect the battery. I didn't and shortly after the bulb replacement I got a Check Engine light. I disconnected the batter again and did the procedure and all is well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replaced my "clock" bulb today for the first time on my 02. Took about 30 minutes using your thread for reference (many thanks). Piece of cake. I didn't disconnect the battery and had no problems, aside from the nausiating beeps for part of the process (had to keep the ignition on with the gear shift in low). I was foolish enough to remove the circuit board for the clock before I realized I could simply turn the light socket and remove it. This proved to be a straight forward task that any DIY can perform. Thanks again for shedding some light on the situation.

1 - 20 of 458 Posts