Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we all know the Odyssey is a family van and performs well for what it is. However, being me and needing a bit more out of the motor I decided to embark on a little mission to improve performance and possibly gain some MPG. I have owned a 94 Accord EX before and also driven a few other vehicles brand new and then modified, each time having the same result with this type of mod........improved acceleration performance and ease of driveability around town along with a slightly better MPG.
For the 05-10 Odyssey's there isn't much in the way of a actual bolt on intake unless you do some Mcgyver work to get one in there and Fujita used to make one but went out of business. I currently have a 05 Odyssey EX-L so this is what I was working with. Please note too the 05-06 models were MAP Sensor not MAF sensor so results may vary but this mod shouldn't pose an issue for either the 05-06 or 07+ as the change shouldnt be drastic enough to cause any check engine lights.
THERE IS TWO WAYS TO DO THIS, Please read both ways below. The first one listed is the one I did and it performed VERY well. The second method I did not do but should yield same results.

Version 1.
1. First off you will need to remove the intake airbox assemly
Unbolt the air box assembly via the 2 10mm bolts holding down the airbox/filter assembly and remove the airbox. You may need to shimmy it around to get it loose but it can come free without needing to remove the tubing. (Feel free to remove the intake tubing too if it makes the task easier but this can be done with the tubing left attached to the intake manifold.)

2. Second of all remove intake resonator snorkel by the battery
There is a clip holding down a small plastic heatshield near the middle of the radiator support, then you can pull that plastic flap off. There is then a 10mm bolt standing vertically on the snorkel, please unbolt that and then pull off the snorkel by pulling towards the middle of the radiator (pull towards pass side). After that is removed look down a little bit and you will find another 10mm bolt that needs to be removed.....it is facing towards the driver side fender and unbolt that.

3. This will require you to jack up the driver side corner of the van and properly support the vehicle. Remove the driver side front wheel and then undo several body clips under the front bumper in order to remove the inside fender well and then peel back the fender liner carefully. Yes I have tried to do this with the wheel on and no it could not be done with wheel on.

4. Look inside the now exposed fender well and you will see a exposed 10mm bolt head and unscrew that. Then (Assuming you have smaller hands) reach around the black resonator assembly moving your hand towards the front of the vehicle. You are going to be feeling for 1more 10mm bolt on the front side and unscrew that too........yes it is a pain but yes it can be done. Once all bolts are removed you may now slide the resonator assembly out by pulling down and in a rolling motion (The way the wheel rolls forward). The resonator should come out smoothly.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now that you have the resonator assembly off and all the other components you can now focus on the air box.

1. This is the airbox lower section that we will be working with. Notice there are two pinkish lines i have marked, the way this is made divides the lower air cleaner into three distinct section.
The OEM setup only allows air to be pulled in from the center channel which is crap.......please use a dremel or angle grinder to take out the dividers.

2. After taking down those dividers it is now time to allow more air volume to enter the engine, so cut across the bottom of the airbox on the front face, lower half. I started cutting across the airbox just below the 2nd row of checker pattern (or 2.5" down from the lower lip of the airbox). I cut side to side down the length of the box keeping the mount tabs in tact. At the very left side of the airbox, i then cut at a angle following the box shape and then all the way to the bottom. For the right side I then went around the corner and cut 3" back and then 90 deg straight down. I then came forward at a angle and then across to meet the other side. I then cleaned up the shaving and such and got this

3. This is a underside shot, NO THE FILTER WAS NOT on the lower section while cutting haha, I just simply forgot to shoot pics and this was the pic i had before install

4. This is a shot of the airbox installed so you can mock and adjust as needed. With this reinstalled and the van running, I noticed easier startup and easier ability to merge on to highway. MPG went up a bit and the van emitted a nice growl under full throttle.

VERSION 2 (Untried but might prove useful for those who use cold air intake and want to pull cooler air).

1. Perform step 1 of Version 1................and then step 1 of the above named steps. DO NOT PERFORM air resonator removal or chop the lower half of the airbox off.

2. Perform step 3 of Version 1 but DO NOT remove bolts from air resonator assembly.......measure 3" from the bottom of the resonator assembly, make 2-3 marks so you can ensure a straight cut.

3. Chop the bottom of the air resonator chamber off and then reinstall airbox, enjoy cooler air and greater air volume delivery

·
Registered
511 Posts
Thanks for the write-up TSM. She's definitely breathing better with this mod. So air was really just coming in from the snorkel that is right behind the radiator?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the write-up TSM. She's definitely breathing better with this mod. So air was really just coming in from the snorkel that is right behind the radiator?
Welcome man, you did it already?!?!??!?! lol which one did you do?
It does in fact appear as though the air going to engine was from the snorkel because it is the only wide open inlet for the assembly. The lower resonator assembly does not appear to be open at all but I haven't yet dunked it into a water tank either to see if water can seep in haha. The other thing is the air was only coming in through that center channel in the lower portion of the airbox..which doesnt help much either haha. I'm sure it is decent for the emission standard probably but I passed a smog check with the opened airbox too so I don't see a problem.

·
Super Moderator
13,481 Posts
Just reporting that the attached pix are fine for me. I cannot see pix from work due to big brother. But. They are fine here at home. Using Winblows 8.1 and Chrome.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Pictures

I can see the photos through the provided link but safari, windows explorer and chrome all had no pics on the original thread.

I see see that most of the bottom of the box was cut out but I am wondering if it makes sense to chop the resonator in such a manner that it is feeding the air box with cold air. I have done mods similar to yours with decent result - more top end power and better throttle response but I am certain cold air is even better . I have an AEM cold air intake on one of my cars and that made a significant butt dyno difference (more torque if you'd believe it) so I am curious if other oddy owners have built a cold sir intake from the stock resonator and could tell that there was a marked difference in performance.

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
I removed the res box and then used dryer vent to route air into stock filter from behind stock fog light hole which i cut out a little. Works great for me. The slight ram air effect is noticeable on the highway and my milage may have moved up slightly. Good sound too. All for about $6.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I removed the res box and then used dryer vent to route air into stock filter from behind stock fog light hole which i cut out a little. Works great for me. The slight ram air effect is noticeable on the highway and my milage may have moved up slightly. Good sound too. All for about $6.
Any pics?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'll get some posted 2mrw. Very easy mod to perform tho. I used a 3' section of dryer vent aluminum tube. I think its 4" wide. Fits very well over the air filter housing inlet tube. And there's a very convenient hole behind the inner fender that aims the tube at the fog light hole. It all just kinda lines up nicely for a cheap cold air intake, sorta. I even layered my filter box with silver heat tape to block under hood heat transfer.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Interestingly enough when I did an air box mod on a 96 dodge caravan many many many years ago along with a K&N drop in filter element the van's mileage decreased dramatically. Although the caravan was an exception to other cars I've modded how well does this mod impact the Odyssey? I purchased a K&N drop in panel filter but after reading so many complaints about dirt I've decided against using one (I supported K&N for at least the past 15 years in 8 of my vehicles - no problems yet but it seems that there are a lot of negatives out there).

If others are saying their butt dynos can feel the power then I'm game to try it on my van but if the performance gains are negligible then I may not bother.

Some feedback please :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
And here's the fog light trim piece. I've cut it to be more of a vent. Sorry about the multi-post. My phone only lets me upload one picture at a time. 0502140726b.jpg

·
Registered
511 Posts
TSM & Wrongminded. Thank you for your posts and pics. Definitely will give me some idea where to go with this mod.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can see the photos through the provided link but safari, windows explorer and chrome all had no pics on the original thread.

I see see that most of the bottom of the box was cut out but I am wondering if it makes sense to chop the resonator in such a manner that it is feeding the air box with cold air. I have done mods similar to yours with decent result - more top end power and better throttle response but I am certain cold air is even better . I have an AEM cold air intake on one of my cars and that made a significant butt dyno difference (more torque if you'd believe it) so I am curious if other oddy owners have built a cold sir intake from the stock resonator and could tell that there was a marked difference in performance.

Thanks
Yes the bottom of the airbox/filter box itself was chopped on mine, this was for two reasons. One I wanted a slightly snappier response to throttle and two I was in process of purchasing a Fujita short ram intake. I felt this chop would closely resemble what the Fujita does in a "free" type of manner. haha......glad it can help anyone out there if this does.
I did notice MUCH improved throttle response as well as a consistently more reasonable MPG. I do a lot of in-town driving mixed with highway driving along with some occasional "smash and run" type of deals since i work at a performance shop. The van has noticeable increase in power over stock as I used quite a few vehicles as a benchmark lol!

I was actually pondering this too!!! But then my intake came and life went on =\ I'm now pondering taking some extra intake pipe that I have laying around here and making a cold air extension......hmmmmmmm *goes into fabbing mode*

Interestingly enough when I did an air box mod on a 96 dodge caravan many many many years ago along with a K&N drop in filter element the van's mileage decreased dramatically. Although the caravan was an exception to other cars I've modded how well does this mod impact the Odyssey? I purchased a K&N drop in panel filter but after reading so many complaints about dirt I've decided against using one (I supported K&N for at least the past 15 years in 8 of my vehicles - no problems yet but it seems that there are a lot of negatives out there).

If others are saying their butt dynos can feel the power then I'm game to try it on my van but if the performance gains are negligible then I may not bother.

Some feedback please :)
Interesting to hear you LOST MPG. I actually gained......a typical drive from work to home is 16mi stretch, 20 if I take highway. Typical speeds on highway will average about 75mph and on streets I average about 50mph (On cruise most of the time to kick into VCM).
I am definitely feeling a gain from the airbox mod by itself, I still have it here and as matter of fact it gets LOUDER than my Fujita intake. LOL!! But that is only at full throttle going uphill. If you are a normal cruiser with the kids then you will notice a slightly throaty sound but nothing too crazy that requires you to lose your hearing by turning up the stereo all the way.
I will say that ever since I have done this mod and then stepped up and obtained the Fujita Intake......Ive now added RV6 Performance PCD kit and a Magnaflow X-pipe with dual mufflers. The gain from this combination of parts is quite...how do you say it.....impressive to say the least for a mommy mobile......and the look on people's faces at carshows is quite comical too when they see it all. haha

TSM & Wrongminded. Thank you for your posts and pics. Definitely will give me some idea where to go with this mod.
Mindoro!!! My apologies for lagging a bit on getting this online for you sir. You really were the catalyst for this entire writeup actually.....I only did the mod with my own interest in mind and after you encouraged a writeup, I took a step back and tried to do a writeup as clear as I could make it in my head. Then transferred it here

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And here's the fog light trim piece. I've cut it to be more of a vent. Sorry about the multi-post. My phone only lets me upload one picture at a time. View attachment 42338
Wrongminded, This actually is somethign i've contemplated too and I'm glad you did it!. I would do it too but with the foglight kit coming to me via mail........these two pieces would get into sort of a fight haha.......but it's okay, for times when massive air is needed, I am fabricating a ram air headlight =) and yes......you will be seeing this thing at the track in the coming months

1 - 20 of 91 Posts