Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought 2003 Odyssey and the car have rear windows open. and could not close. Called Honda Dealer and they said it needed a new motor. Anyone knows DIY please help. Thank You all

·
Registered
747 Posts
I saw this in the problems and concerns section. Try searching there.

·
Registered
463 Posts
odyssey203, Welcome aboard. I need to replace mine, but since it quit working in the closed position, it is not too important to me yet.

This is not the answer you were seeking, and I will put this in a nicer way than some around here, but there is plenty of DIY help on that and other topics if you use the search feature. Someone may come along and give you the answer, but you'll get quicker answers by searching. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I would probably try to bypass the window switch to see if I could get that window to close. (slight chance it is just the switch)
Also, try closing it many times as sometimes it will just start working enough to get it closed. (they seem to work better when cold)
Try having someone lightly pushing on the window to help close it while using the switch.
Those motors are a PITA to change, from what I've read in this forum, and the new motors are still the same old design with flimsy brushes and are also expensive.
I haven't heard of a quality replacement motor, but if I do, I will probably replace mine (probably an all day job.
Buffalo4
PS: Yes, there are threads about this. Search for more info.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The drivers side is easy to get to. These motors give out after 5 or 6 years.

I ordered a replacement from one of the on-line parts retailers and replaced it in about 15 minutes.

The passenger side will take a lot longer because of all the rear heat/ac stuff in the way. Am waiting for several rainy days to do that job.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I am impressed about the 15min motor replacement.
Could you post the procedure?
Thanks,
Buffalo4
PS:Have you heard of a higher quality motor replacement?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Buffalo,

No high quality motors that I'm aware of, just the same old Honda stuff that it came with.

To replace the left motor:

Remove upper left and right cargo net fasteners.
Remove Left Pillar trim piece.(The top is the hardest to get back in so look at how it comes off.)
Unplug wire harness from motor.
Remove 4 Hex bolts(10mm socket)

Repeat in reverse with new motor.

Nothing to it.

Right side will be a bitch though. Not looking forward to that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar problem with both motors back. Decaying power and reached a point where there would be no longer closed. believed they were the motors and it was not so, were the contacts where they harness. were removed and directly connect the cables to the motor, and since then work to perfection

·
Registered
3,124 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
This fix works great. The hardest part is disassembling and re-assemble it back. There is no need to totally remove the ventilation duct (passenger side).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also got the 194/168 socket off of an old dash panel from junkyard. Drilled two holes in for 18-20 gauge wire feed through.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Both of my rear windows do not work, so I am going to try this quick fix. I will take some photographs along the way to help others. Will post as soon as I do the repair, should be later this week.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Very interesting DIY fix by using a light bulb. My rear vent window arm is broken on the one side, so sometimes it opens & closes, sometimes it doesn't. Can't find a junkyard replacement either. Good luck busting apart the passenger side, it'll be interesting to see the pics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I finished fixing the drivers side window. To my suprise the light bulb fix worked. In the beginning i just heard a click but now it works. Seems like the motor has to work hard to open and close the window. The hardest part was replacing the trim panel. I am going to see how long this works, before I tie into the right side.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hyattjs, I am anxious to find out your luck on fixng the passanger side, I am in the same boat. If you can provide pics, that would be great. Good Luck. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm going to try this one out for a couple of months to see if this is a solid fix or just a short term repair. I only want to take the left side apart once.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Can someone post a pic of the motor? I'm guessing that a motor from an RC car would work, just depends on size.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone know if there is a video on how to remove the pannel to get to the motor? on youtube? or any where? Please help.
Thanks,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts