Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
728 Posts
Can somebody tell me where the oil filter is?
Manual says requires 0w20 oil. Can I use like 5W20?
You can use whatever you want - this is america. If you have an engine fault that is shown to have come from the use of incorrect oil, you'll be on your own for the cost of the repairs. I'm curious though, why do you want to use 5W20 instead of what is specified in the manual?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can use whatever you want - this is america. If you have an engine fault that is shown to have come from the use of incorrect oil, you'll be on your own for the cost of the repairs. I'm curious though, why do you want to use 5W20 instead of what is specified in the manual?
easier to find? lol

·
Banned
728 Posts
easier to find? lol
I've read that the 0W-30 is specified to help with fuel economy (lower viscosity when cold). The added benefit is better lubrication on start up in cold weather.

I'm sure the 5W would be fine, but I'd stick with the recommended if you encounter ultra cold weather where you live in the winter.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Oil weights are chasen by manufacturers to meet CAFE scores. There is so little difference between 0w20 and 5w20 that it would take a testing lab to tell the difference. Even 5w30 will make little difference. If you think any dealer can tell what weight you have used in your van you are crazy. It is a shame manufactures and politicians have put all this smoke and mirrors in the simple service of the vehicle.......

·
Banned
728 Posts
Oil weights are chasen by manufacturers to meet CAFE scores. There is so little difference between 0w20 and 5w20 that it would take a testing lab to tell the difference. Even 5w30 will make little difference. If you think any dealer can tell what weight you have used in your van you are crazy. It is a shame manufactures and politicians have put all this smoke and mirrors in the simple service of the vehicle.......
I think it would take a testing lab to determine the difference between any 2 weights of oils. I mean, how many people out there can rub different oil weights between their fingers, or pour a quantity and tell you what it's viscosity rating is?? But I'll tell you who will test: Honda will, if there is an engine failure due to friction, say in a climate where the winters are very cold and the engine suffers from starvation on startup. Maybe the journals are drilled to finer tolerances. Maybe not. But who needs to find out?

I agree that there may be little difference, but the 11's are new vehicles. Who wants to put a different weight in (and for what reason) to have the manufacturer test after a failure and say "sorry, no coverage".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wth, Just used 5w30 on the first DIY oil change because I didn't find the 0w20 in the local AutoZone. Found the big bottle 0w20 in Walmart though right after. Will switch to 0w20 on the next oil change.
Yeah, totally agree, why need so many different types of oil. I am not in Alaska or on the tropic or anything. Why wouldn't 10w30 just work for all cars?
BTW, I went to JiffyLub and they told me need to use synthetic oil and the cost would be $96 for one change. That's why I decided to do it myself.
This baby next time:
0007192444967_180X180.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to share my oil change experience. Change the oil on the Ody is so easy. The oil filter is well accessible from underneath. Nice design. Because it is the first time, the screw is kind of tight. I have to use a rubber hammer to break it loose. (be easy on it...). Oil filter is smaller than my previous car and tight also, I had to buy the oil filter wrench (the cap like thing ) to uninstall the filter. I likes the DIY which saves both $ and time (trip to dealer, wait time etc...)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Definitely do not need to use synthetic oil, as long as you are changing according to the maintenance minder. Like some who have a strong bond (my wife often indicates too strong) with their vehicles, I overspend on oil, especially in my '99 miata and change oil and filter every 3-4K pretty religiously. You can definitley extend the intervals with synthetics over traditional dino versions. I think I am sticking with dino in the Ody.

·
Registered
27 Posts
FWIW, we can't find the 0W-20 here in Europe and just changed with synthetic 5W-20...the morning temperatures aren't very low (20 at the very worst...usually high 30's) so the start-up viscocity isn't critical. Honda can't dictate what type of oil you use, all engines have to run on API certified oil...they just recommend the type...they don't care if it's $9/liter...it helps them claim 27mpg...which I don't think any of us are getting anyway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm getting close to 27mpg. I almost have 13000km and I'm averaging for the life of the vehicle 8.88 l/100km(26.5 US mpg). I plan on using 0w20

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
If there is a claim for major engine failure (unlikely BTW), they can ask for receipts to prove that the maintenance was done. Those receipts would show the viscosity used. If it's not the recommended type, your case would suddenly be weakened considerably.

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
0w20 only comes in synthetic. From what I've read, Honda's 0w20 is the only 0w20 that is not synthetic. So it's either change the oil at Honda, switch to synthetic, or use 5w20.
Honda now has two genuine oils:
Full synthetic 0W-20 (in the silver bottle), Honda P/N: 08798-9037
Synthetic blend 0W-20 (in the black bottle), Honda P/N: 08798-9036
Both are supposedly manufactured by Conoco Phillips.

There also used to be a 0W-20 (in the gray bottle with the red and black label), Honda P/N: 08798-9029, supposedly manufactured by Exxon Mobil.

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
Honda now has two genuine oils:
Full synthetic 0W-20 (in the silver bottle), Honda P/N: 08798-9037
Synthetic blend 0W-20 (in the black bottle), Honda P/N: 08798-9036
Both are supposedly manufactured by Conoco Phillips.

There also used to be a 0W-20 (in the gray bottle with the red and black label), Honda P/N: 08798-9029, supposedly manufactured by Exxon Mobil.
I believe 08798-9029 is manufactured by Idemitsu, and not Exxon Mobil.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Definitely do not need to use synthetic oil, as long as you are changing according to the maintenance minder.
I am not sure how the Maintenance Minder works, but I think it simply measures the mileage, but not the actual quality of the oil. Right now it seems to remind people to change oil after 10,000 miles as this is common for cars using full synthetic, which our Odyssey uses. If you use a non-full synthetic oil, you need to change it more often.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Service advisor said they use the synthetic blend and claims that is what Honda recommends.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am not sure how the Maintenance Minder works, but I think it simply measures the mileage, but not the actual quality of the oil. Right now it seems to remind people to change oil after 10,000 miles as this is common for cars using full synthetic, which our Odyssey uses. If you use a non-full synthetic oil, you need to change it more often.

I'm not certain about Honda, but, on my M3 the way it is done is by a calculation related to fuel consumption. Over a given amount of miles, driving harder will burn more fuel and thus the computer will note this and recommend oil changes on a more frequent basis. To simply go by miles alone wouldn't take driving habits into account - so I hope Honda's is more complicated.

·
Registered
197 Posts
OM, Maintenance Minder section:

Based on the engine operating conditions and accumulated engine revolutions, the onboard computer in your vehicle calculates the remaining engine oil life and displays it as a percentage.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts