Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just bought my first Honda last week. It's a 09 oddy EX. I am very pleased. Looking for some info on what type of oil (5W-20 is what it says) and what brand oil is most commonly used. I have been using Quaker State for the last 20 years but I think it's time for a change. I had asked the dealer and he was not sure but said it was a semi-synthetic. I have never used a semi and was looking for some feedback for a good brand and how often to change it. I think I'm gonna go with a Purolater filter.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use Mobil 1 full synthetic and mobil1 or purolator filters. 8 years and 4 cars ago I spent 4 oil changes testing filters and oils on my then Pathfinder. The Mobil1 and Purolator filters kept the oil much cleaner than any other brands. I change at 5K intervals, but I know people who run full synthetic out to 7 or 10k miles.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I use Castrol GTX.
IMO, I've tried synthetic, and I've noticed no notable difference, except on my wallet. Unless of course you go with AMSOIL which has a change interval of 25,000KM or 1 Year

·
Registered
58 Posts
I brought a used 08 EX few months back and did the first change this weekend
Castrol GTX 5-30W and Bosch 3323 filter. Autozone had a deal where stp/oil was 21$ and for 2$ more i could get a bosch filter.I went with this.

I am looking to buy bosch filters in bulk somewhere as my yahama fz1 motorcycle uses the same filter now. a year supply as i change oil on my motorcycle every 3k. so every year i need 4 filters.

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
I use Castrol GTX.
IMO, I've tried synthetic, and I've noticed no notable difference, except on my wallet. Unless of course you go with AMSOIL which has a change interval of 25,000KM or 1 Year
The benefits of synthetic are mostly long term - less battery and starter wear, and longer engine life. The only immediate benefit is possibly a microscopic increase in fuel economy, plus fewer changes that you mentioned.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The benefits of synthetic are mostly long term - less battery and starter wear, and longer engine life. The only immediate benefit is possibly a microscopic increase in fuel economy, plus fewer changes that you mentioned.
I would love to see some actual proof of this .Not some 10 yr old test . some thing that compares a current generation of Oil with regular oil changes. I have for years used the cheapest oil/filter every 4k on my motorcycle.
i have taken this to the track when it in redline all day , drag strip when i trash it even more. I opened the engine at 96,000 mile and engine was clean as a whistle. This engine was oil cooled too. No coolant either.
the bike is still running.

Not my friend went over 200k on her 2001 motorcycle with only 5k oilchange interval and nothing special. I wonder if she should change to syn so she can get more out of her 200k engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts