Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
one issue is making sure it’s not noticeable either so you don’t get ? On it if emissions notices. Probably never happen, but tampering will fail you if noticed. Still, with a resistor costing maybe 50c, I’m going to solder into the wire. The variable knob sounds nice too. Dial up or down a dozen or two ohms depending on season. Also dirt cheap and easily added to the wire mod. IF you’re good w wires n solder. Putting mine in soon. 100 ohm resistor on deck. It’s easy enough to fiddle if it acts up. But if you’re not good w soldering and wiring, go pre-packaged.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Soldering isn't an issue for me and I'm not worried about emission testing - they don't even open the hood here anymore and simply just plug into the OBD II port to make sure there are no active codes and it is in a ready to test state.

My primary concern is I wanted something I could install and forget about, and get notice of any overheating condition as early as would be the case with the standard factory configuration. My wife primarily drives the Odyssey and I knew she wasn't likely to notice the ECO light if it started coming back on.

Since getting the VCMTUNER II I've noticed when there is a 36F change (162F to 198F) in temperature registered at the OBD II port as the VCMTUNER II enters maintenance mode, there is absolutely no change in the position of the temperature gauge needle on the dash. Because of this, an overheating condition would not be noticed nearly as soon from the temperature gauge if a passive resistor device is used to disable VCM.

I know resistors are cheap, but to me the advantages of the active solutions such as VCMTUNER II or S-VCM are worth the cost.

·
Registered
319 Posts
To each his / her own, but I'm not a fan of this DIY approach. I don't like the idea of cutting into the wiring harness and or that it would not be easy to undo for maintenance procedures or easy to change the resistance if needed (ECO light starts coming back on or codes are thrown for too low of a temperature).

After 1 year and 15K miles I have no complaints with the VCMTUNER II and really like that I could just install and forget about it knowing that it will automatically disable itself to account for maintenance procedures and I will know right away should there be an overheating condition with my van.
I bought a VCM kit on eBay for $30 that has the right connectors, terminal ends, wires and resistors to avoid cutting into any wiring. What I really bought was those connectors because I do not like the idea of cutting into under-hood wiring, and this kit solved the problem. You can get potentiometers from various sources if you want to exchange the fixed resistor for a variable one. MPJA on line has an inexpensive one that will work, as did eBay.

·
Registered
830 Posts
To each his / her own, but I'm not a fan of this DIY approach. I don't like the idea of cutting into the wiring harness and or that it would not be easy to undo for maintenance procedures or easy to change the resistance if needed (ECO light starts coming back on or codes are thrown for too low of a temperature).

de
If you purchase one of the VCM disabling devices from verbatim, or one of the other suppliers, you do not have to cut into your wiring harness. You just unplug a plug and place the devise into it and plug in the other end into the plug you unplugged. That are all plug-in-and-play! You should not have to remove them for maintenance as they do not show up on the dealer's obdii scanner. If you get one of the solid state devices, you don't have to worry about changing resistors as it is done automatically.
As you said, to each their own!

·
Registered
403 Posts
So let me get this straight: Verbatim has a proven, workable solution to getting rid of VCM for a reasonable price... That I and many, many others can absolutely vouch works as advertised... That is available from eBay as well as Verbatim... That doesn't involve cutting wires, changing anything permanently on your van, and is literally a three minute installation thing... And there are folks here considering something else?

Mmmmm... Why?

I don't mind someone coming up with a better mousetrap, but this ain't it. If you want to make a compelling alternative, make it as good as, or better, than the best existing option.
But, whatever. There's a lot of silly folks out there, and a lot of pseudo-experts in everything. They just can't comprehend not having to reinvent the wheel...

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you purchase one of the VCM disabling devices from verbatim, or one of the other suppliers, you do not have to cut into your wiring harness. You just unplug a plug and place the devise into it and plug in the other end into the plug you unplugged. That are all plug-in-and-play! You should not have to remove them for maintenance as they do not show up on the dealer's obdii scanner. If you get one of the solid state devices, you don't have to worry about changing resistors as it is done automatically.
As you said, to each their own!
You are reiterating the point I was making to the original post in this thread. I've been using the VCMTUNER II for 1 year now and went that direction for 2 primary reasons:

1. I didn't want to worry about the possibility of needing to change resistors (or potentiometer setting). I knew the probability is low my wife who primarily drives the Odyssey would notice should the ECO light start reappearing.

2. I want to know immediately if there is an overheating condition - I don't want a delay because the passive resistor artificially suppresses the resistance to a value which the ECM recognizes as a normal temperature range and you don't see anything on the dash. I like that the VCMTUNER II or S-VCM will recognize an overheating condition and pass the actual temperature resistance value on to the ECM in such cases.

I disagree somewhat about your point that they don't having to be removed for maintenance. While what you say is true most of the time, there are certain procedures such as idle relearns where the ECM needs to be presented with actual temperature data. This would require removing a resistor based solution (or removing the resistor and using a wire jumper) or disconnecting power to a S-VCM. The VCMTUNER II has an accelerometer which enables it to enter maintenance mode automatically for these types of procedures which I viewed as an added bonus.

·
Registered
321 Posts
So let me get this straight: Verbatim has a proven, workable solution to getting rid of VCM for a reasonable price... That I and many, many others can absolutely vouch works as advertised... That is available from eBay as well as Verbatim... That doesn't involve cutting wires, changing anything permanently on your van, and is literally a three minute installation thing... And there are folks here considering something else?

Mmmmm... Why?

I don't mind someone coming up with a better mousetrap, but this ain't it. If you want to make a compelling alternative, make it as good as, or better, than the best existing option.
But, whatever. There's a lot of silly folks out there, and a lot of pseudo-experts in everything. They just can't comprehend not having to reinvent the wheel...
Because $20 is not $90.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
one issue is making sure it’s not noticeable either so you don’t get ? On it if emissions notices. Probably never happen, but tampering will fail you if noticed. Still, with a resistor costing maybe 50c, I’m going to solder into the wire. The variable knob sounds nice too. Dial up or down a dozen or two ohms depending on season. Also dirt cheap and easily added to the wire mod. IF you’re good w wires n solder. Putting mine in soon. 100 ohm resistor on deck. It’s easy enough to fiddle if it acts up. But if you’re not good w soldering and wiring, go pre-packaged.
Hey rockingruvin. Have you installed yours yet? I'm interested in how your variable system works out. Hear I. Indiana we don't have vehicle inspection to be concerned about but I still decided to hide mine In the wire loom. Do you plan on running wires so you can adjust from the cabin? So far mine is working flawlessly and I have to say the vehicle drives better without it engaging. It might be my imagination but it seems far smoother around town.

·
Registered
3 Posts
True, but having the option to select different resistance, and to deactivate mod with touch of a switch is more convenient.

·
Registered
63 Posts
(EDIT 3-27-2020)
I now see "infinitime" has deleted his photos, instructions, and different ideas.

I hope it wasn't because of my response here.
(/EDIT)

I appreciate your thoughts and efforts, as I believe the more people who do so improve everything in our lives.

So, this comment in no way is meant to diminish your efforts

But I think we are over-engineering the wheel here.
(Just a saying)
Ever seen some of the AMAZING wheels NASA has come up with?

True, but having the option to select different resistance, and to deactivate mod with touch of a switch is more convenient.

I don't get this thinking.

What in the world is more convenient than (properly) installing a single ($0.60) resistor and then going on about your life?

I mean seriously, you can even install this thing on either (of the 2) wires, and it can even be installed backwards!

This is beyond simple!

It never again has to be seen, looked at, played with, turned off, fiddled with, ever!

Why would someone play around with different settings / resistors / switches when a single resistor covers all?

(Unless, of course, you WANT cylinder deactivation)

Why would someone pay big $$$$$ and then switch it off?

(I believe) The simplest solution in this case is the cheapest and the best.

And to tell you the truth, whomever is manufacturing and selling these things would be in real danger should the govt determine they are selling items that circumvent emissions

(My opinion, and maybe the law)
Installing a device that tells (tricks) your ECU into believing the engine NEVER REACHES OPERATING TEMPERATURE is illegal in every US State.

I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet.

If Jegs, Autozone, NAPA, or Summit tried to sell this they'd be in deep, deep, very expensive, doo-doo

I don't even know if they could get away with the "For Off Road Use Only" sticker on the box.

I do appreciate the brilliant original who recognized the problem, did the research, and came up with such an easy solution.

But making a finished harness with the proper OEM plugs on each end is really what you are paying for.

And really, if you are not even supplying that, and the user has to cut wires and solder anyway, why bother?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts