Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, i just completed this mod tonight and it took me around 45 mins. I cant stand the annoying beep the power tailgate makes especially when i get home late and need to unload stuff and don't want to wake the whole neighborhood. i read some posts by others that they were able to muffle the sound. I decided to add a 12V rocker switch in-line with the wire that feeds power to that lovely beeper. this way i have the option of switching it back on if i miss listening to it. One can also just cut/terminate the wire to be rid of it. The beeper itself sits below the left tail light assembly behind the bumper. i looked up the the wiring schematic for my Canadian 2011 Touring, the wire that powers the beeper is light blue and it is pin#8 at the 20-pin connector behind the left rear panel(inside cargo area), the panel with 12V power outlet and cubbies. The 20-pin connector is also light blue. i'll upload some pics soon. As with any mods, Do at your own risk. I am not responsible for any mistakes or unfortunate results such as that the beeper starts to swear at you in a Samuel L. Jackson voice.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/....svg&k=K81113/enu/K81113201220A_0001&p=EM&t=V

Tools
18 gauge wire. i used about 2 feet+. the more the better. splice at stock wire, to the panel and back and it's nice to have slack when adding the switch.
12V rocker switch
2 female spade connectors for the rocker switch
torch or solder gun
Solder and heat shrink(not required if using bullets but i prefer to solder)
lighter for the heatshrink
wire cutters
pliers to remove the plastic knobs placed for the cargo netting. add masking tape to it so it doesn't mar anything
makeshift template of the switch. i used paper
drill and router for creating a hole for the switch

1) Open rear tailgate and absorb that annoying tone......then exhale a sigh of relief knowing that you will be rid of it soon. make sure the magic seats are up so you have access to the panel at the lower back where it latches to the tailgate. This needs to be removed first as it is sitting on the other panel you need to get at. its held in by 2 cargo netting knobs. use a plier to loosen it like a screw. just enough so you can use your fingers the rest of the way. then just rank it out.

2) Loosen/remove the left upper cargo netting knob that is above the shelves. loosen enough weather stripping to remove the panel. Pull towards to loosen the panel but not too hard as the 12V power outlet has a connector. disconnect the 12V outlet. the entire panel does not need to come off. its flexible enough to bend and do work. i bent it just past the speaker. it was enough to get to the 20-pin connector.

3) Disconnect the light blue 20-pin connector. there is 2 light blue connectors. it is the top larger one. Find and expose the light blue wire at pin#8, cut the wire a distance away so you have room to splice into it. If one doesn't care to go further, then just tape up the ends and plug the connector back in and reassemble in reverse. No more beep forever. if not, continue....

4) measure wire, strip and Solder your wires at each of the stripped ends of the light blue wire, then heat shrink.

5) at the other ends of the new wires strip/add a female spade connector that matches the male spades of the 12V rocker switch. connect them to the switch and plug the 20-pin connector back in. Test! should work.

6) Next is to mount the switch, i removed the connections at the switch for now as the switch needs to be fed into the panel from the front. i traced an outline of the switch on a small piece of paper. i cut out the inside so it left a hole. i taped the template on the panel right above the inserted shelves. check the inside of the panel that it's clear. i then i used a small drill bit and made many holes along the outline. after that i used my route with a metal wheel to remove the unwanted plastic. The switch didn't fit at first as it was still too small so i swapped to a rounder bit. after shaving off more it finally fit. reconnect the wires and test again.

7) Reconnect the 12 volt power outlet and start reassembling everything in reverse. make sure to reattach the weather stripping and the 3 cargo netting knobs.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2012 EX-L, >128k miles, VCM Tuner, Honda tow pkg.
824 Posts
The lift gate beep is loud, but doesn't bother me that much. Now, the loud honk when the security is activated is a different issue! Does anyone know how to reduce the volume of that?

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
The lift gate beep is loud, but doesn't bother me that much. Now, the loud honk when the security is activated is a different issue! Does anyone know how to reduce the volume of that?
Yes stop hitting the lock fob twice or shut the honk off in the settings menus. Unless you got some aftermarket alarm, then I can't help you (or your neighbors)

Wow. Never knew something like the tailgate sound bothered people that much.
It annoys the hell out of me and I can't wait to disable it. It should be a tasteful ding. I cannot imagine having that sound repeatedly coming from my vehicle in a campground.

Now I just have to figure out if my wife's Acura RDX has the same wiring to her equally annoying, piercing beep. Thank you so much rynkin2000.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,960 Posts
is there not just a piezo speaker you can disconnect?
Yes, you can unplug the buzzer/beeper - it is behind the bumper cover, below the left/driver's side tail light. I wonder if it does anything besides those annoying beeps.

It always feels like I'm going to wake the neighborhood if I open/close the tailgate late at night...

-Charlie

Reactions: Ticket

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Yes, you can unplug the buzzer/beeper - it is behind the bumper cover, below the left/driver's side tail light. I wonder if it does anything besides those annoying beeps.

It always feels like I'm going to wake the neighborhood if I open/close the tailgate late at night...

-Charlie
thanks!
I might just unplug that thing.

·
Registered
824 Posts

-Charlie
I usually open it with the latch if I don't want to wake sleeping kids. As I mentioned in the previous threads here, the more annoying issue is the horn when pressing the lock button twice. Still working on a good strategy but I now lock manually before closing the door if I want to avoid the loud beep. The lack of customization options has to be the second most annoying feature of the Ody (right behind the VCM).

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I usually open it with the latch if I don't want to wake sleeping kids. As I mentioned in the previous threads here, the more annoying issue is the horn when pressing the lock button twice. Still working on a good strategy but I now lock manually before closing the door if I want to avoid the loud beep. The lack of customization options has to be the second most annoying feature of the Ody (right behind the VCM).
you make a good point for use cases.
A disregard by engineering to pay attention to end user feedback creates situations like this, and is why end users disable their poorly thought out but well intentioned ideas.

Honda knows best, just sign the bottom line and pay your monthly payments, and be happy like the people in the marketing materials.

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
So why are you pressing the button twice? It doesn't make it more locked or have anything to do with setting the alarm. That feature is only for double checking if you really locked the doors walking away in a parking lot.
The red blinking light in the in the speed cluster blinking means the alarm is set.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
So why are you pressing the button twice? It doesn't make it more locked or have anything to do with setting the alarm. That feature is only for double checking if you really locked the doors walking away in a parking lot.
The red blinking light in the in the speed cluster blinking means the alarm is set.
on occasion, when im inside the house not remembering if I locked it or not, im guilty of pressing the button for the confirmation honk.

does that make me a bad person?
😅

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
Well, that is what's for. As long as you don't make a habit of it, your neighbors thank you.

I hate car alarms so much. I used to live in a beach town, two blocks from the beach and two blocks from downtown.
Have heard continuous alarms going off, completely ignored. They are useless.

·
Registered
824 Posts
on occasion, when im inside the house not remembering if I locked it or not, im guilty of pressing the button for the confirmation honk.

does that make me a bad person?
😅
This is the same situation for me. If I press the button once and am close enough to hear the doors lock all is good. But if I lock it later, when I am out of earshot, I like to have confirmation that it is locked. The confirmation has let me know that another family member left a door or tailgate open. If I had only pressed once the door would have been left open overnight. Doesn't happen often but I prefer to never leave a door open overnight.

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
Well, if you value your neighbors and it's late, you just have to walk out there and check. My wife or I will often do that, just looking for the blinking light. (And locking the front gate that actually acts as the front door to our home). What we really should do is clean out the garage and park like civilized folks.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Well, if you value your neighbors and it's late, you just have to walk out there and check. My wife or I will often do that, just looking for the blinking light. (And locking the front gate that actually acts as the front door to our home). What we really should do is clean out the garage and park like civilized folks.
I don't value my neighbors that much! LOL however I do value letting the kids sleep.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,960 Posts
The confirmation has let me know that another family member left a door or tailgate open.
Lol... just last week, I was walking the dog and saw a neighborhood Odyssey with a slider open in the driveway. Lights off inside the van, so it had been like that at least 10 minutes. I felt a bit odd, but I still went up and hit the door close button... ;) Didn't lock it, but our neighborhood is pretty safe with stuff like that overall.

-Charlie

Reactions: rmyoder

·
Registered
824 Posts
Lol... just last week, I was walking the dog and saw a neighborhood Odyssey with a slider open in the driveway. Lights off inside the van, so it had been like that at least 10 minutes. I felt a bit odd, but I still went up and hit the door close button... ;) Didn't lock it, but our neighborhood is pretty safe with stuff like that overall.

-Charlie
LOL Mine has been left open for hours. No one in the fam knew about it, no neighbors called or closed it. I would greatly appreciative a neighbor like you!

In addition to the softer honk mentioned above, another great feature would be an auto close button on the remote...kinda like the auto open for the windows/roof but opposite....it would close all doors and windows by just holding the lock button. Maybe Honda tech is reading this and will develop one in the future...

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
I think an auto close up is possible right now, but the corporate lawyers said no. Safety first!

Speaking of safety, I just found the piezo piercing annoyance and unplugged it. Would love to find a tasteful ding to replace it, but so far I have only found a ding dong that sounds like you just walked into the store. But now I can auto open my hatch at 11:00 PM in a campground.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I don't value my neighbors that much! LOL however I do value letting the kids sleep.
same here!
many years of helping with car troubles, clearing snow for them, providing security camera footage for car break ins, and they rarely acknowledge I exist unless they need something.
like my wife from Missouri says.
Canada... where the weather AND the people are cold.
🤣

·
Registered
824 Posts
I think an auto close up is possible right now, but the corporate lawyers said no. Safety first!

Speaking of safety, I just found the piezo piercing annoyance and unplugged it. Would love to find a tasteful ding to replace it, but so far I have only found a ding dong that sounds like you just walked into the store. But now I can auto open my hatch at 11:00 PM in a campground.
Good point about the safety issue associated with auto close. However I don't see this as much different from remote closing the sliding doors. Of course, I am not a legal expert so my opinion is probably not worth the electrons used to display this text.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts