Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for Chuck & Harry and anyone else who has 'ripped' their Ody apart...

How difficult would you say it is (1-10) for a novice to pull that rear bumper off and some of the mods like the sliding door trick? Do you need special tools or skills? I know Chuck mentioned the bumper came off easily and the only need for a 2nd person was to help take the bumper off and set it aside.

I'm a computer programmer who has done only modest car repairs in my lifetime (my biggest project was replacing the water pump on my 1978 Datsun pickup) but I feel fairly competent at following directions and removing & remembering where things go.

I had to replace some external rear window trim on my Nissan Pathfinder and it had those plastic clips holding it on; when I got it off I broke 2 of them but that could be age more than my caveman-like removing technique (it was 5 yrs old at the time). I'm also fairly confident at splicing wires (I am comfortable putting in speakers and radios in vehicles.)

Do I need the HELM manual? What would you consider a 'minimal' set of tools I should have before embarking upon, say, a Rostra install or sliding door mod?

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 05-03-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The water pump you replaced is probably a lot harder to do than most of the mods you read about here, so you won't likely have any problems that you can't handle.

The Helm's manual is strongly recommended, though. If nothing else, it gives you a good look at what you're gonna be into. It also lets you know where all of those hidden clips are. I justified it to myself this way: If the manual saves me from busting one thing that costs over $70, it will have paid for itself.

Toolwise, nothing special either. It does help a little to have a couple of different types of door panel removal tools, but even there you can usually get away with a tape-covered putty knife.

Good luck and have fun.

------------------
Chuck
'01 MB EX-NAV Pics and Projects

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckonarske:
you can usually get away with a tape-covered putty knife.
</font>
Excellent point (pun intended).

The tape helps prevent scratching the plastic panels, fasteners, etc.

The FSM was the first "accessory" that I bought for the Ody.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

1 - 3 of 3 Posts