Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Here is a DIY on replacing lights for your climate control. I have a 2005 EXL R&N with auto climate control.

It takes two types of bulbs:

4 gray base bulbs that act as a backlight for all climate control buttons:
part number: 79674-S3N-941 (BULB, NEO-WEDGE (14V 80MA))

2 black base bulbs that act as a backlight for climate control lcd:
part number: 79607-SHJ-S01 (BULB, NEO-WEDGE (8V 0.1A))

here is the picture of the gray base bulb I had to replace

here is the picture of the back of the climate control

There are multiple instructions on how to remove the dashboard piece. But here is a quick review.
1. Open upper glove box. Look carefully at the seam of where plastic trim lays against main dashboard. There will be a small opening for a flat head screwdriver.
2. Take a small flat head screwdriver (you can wrap it in electric tape) wedge it into the opening and carefully pry at it.
3. This should allow you to lift this corner of the trim, then using your hands carefully pull along the edge of the trim until you pry the entire piece.
4. Disconnect 3 harnesses that plug into the trim piece.
5. Turn the trim over, and you will see the back of the control, like the second picture above.
6. Using flat head screwdriver turn the base of the bulb quarter turn counter clockwise. It should unlock the base of the bulb. Shake the bulb out of the control.
7. Insert new bulb. Using flat head screwdriver turn clockwise until it snaps in place.
8. Reverse the procedure to replace the trim on dashboard.

I had one gray base bulb go bad, the one that backlights the first 3 buttons in the left lower corner. I bought a new bulb assembly at the local dealer for 3.02 + tax.

You can also experiment with replacing just the bulb and reusing the base. Here is a thread that explains it how to do it with Radio Shack bulb part #272-1092
Using radio shack bulbs

------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/2/2009 update: use below DIY to handle burned out Hazard lights, as well as use Radio Shack bulbs.

I see that you guys are enjoying my DYI, so I decided to update this post with more bulb replacement info.
A week ago I noticed that "Hazard flash" and "passenger air bag" lights were out. I went straight to Radio Shack and bought a pack of bulbs, part number (272-1092, #7219, Micro Lamp 12v).
The package contains two bulbs, which is perfect for this job. Price is $1.79 plus tax, which is probably expensive but still much less than dealer and about 1000 times more convenient, cause dealer does not stock these bulbs. Using Radio Shack bulbs adds about 1min to the entire process. Super easy!!!

So for this DIY, follow steps 1-5 above.
6. The hazard switch is actually an independent assembly that is easily removed from the dashboard assembly by squeezing two tabs. One tab at the top and another at the bottom of the assembly. Then push the switch assembly into the dashboard piece and it will slide right through and out.
7. Lay the switch assembly on the left side with two blue circles facing up.
8. The two blue circles are the bases of the mini bulbs.
9. Using flat head screwdriver turn the base of the bulb quarter turn counter clockwise. It should unlock the base of the bulb. Shake the bulb out of the control.
10. The top bulb that controls "Passenger airbag" has a blue sleeve that slides over the regular clear bulb. The bottom bulb assembly is clear.
11. Unwind the wires of the bulb assembly and separate bulb and the base.
12. Use the new Radio Shack bulb and place it into the old base.
Wind the bulb wires around the base, like original assembly. Trim extra wire. Make sure the two wires are not touching.
13. Insert new bulb. Using flat head screwdriver turn clockwise until it snaps in place.
14. Reverse the procedure to replace the trim on dashboard.

Here is the picture of the dash assembly with switch assembly highlighted

here are pictures of the switch assembly and the bulbs

Below image was donated by Hondalvr. It is a comparative picture of the stock vs Radio shack bulb, plus the sleve and the bulb base:

---------------------------------------
Update 2010/01/17

There is no end to this saga. Replaced the main lights on/off switch light this weekend. Picture attached.
There is no need to remove the switch, you can remove the blue base bulb after removing the center console.

Also following my own advise I decided to document all the lights that light up in my car. It is kind of hard after the fact to figure out whether the button had a back light or not, so here is a collage of different places that I found had lights.

Here is a useful link to the diagram of possible Honda bulbs and p/n.

Honda Odyssey switch and bulbs

Enjoy,
Max

·
Administrator
15,238 Posts
I see that nobody thanked you for this great write up. Good job. Thanks for the write up. I'll probably need this a couple or so years down the line if HondaCare doesn't cover it (I don't think they'll cover light bulbs any ways). :)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dvpatel said:
I see that nobody thanked you for this great write up. Good job. Thanks for the write up. I'll probably need this a couple or so years down the line if HondaCare doesn't cover it (I don't think they'll cover light bulbs any ways). :)
My effort was motivated by giving back to the forum, which was so helpful in many different ways. There is a tremendous wealth of information, so much so, that I am proud to have an Ody for that reason alone.

As a side note, I also have HondaCare, and when I called the dealer in regards to Climate control light bulbs, they informed me that it was not covered.

The procedure takes 10-15mins tops.
good luck,
Max

·
Registered
112 Posts
Maxud

I was not able to remove the dashboard, I opened the upper glove box and used a flat blade screw driver to pry at the slot on the side of the dashboard but it would not open. I didn't want to break anything. My is a Touring model, does your EXL have the same dashboard configuration?

·
Administrator
15,238 Posts
Dashboards should be same. My buddy as 2007 Touring and I have 2007 EXL. Same dash where the radio and climate control is. The guage cluster is different for Touring for the MID. Look at the subwoofer install instructions on HandA for Pix and instructions to remove your dash.

http://www.handa-accessories.com

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OH TWINS said:
Maxud

I was not able to remove the dashboard, I opened the upper glove box and used a flat blade screw driver to pry at the slot on the side of the dashboard but it would not open. I didn't want to break anything. My is a Touring model, does your EXL have the same dashboard configuration?
It is exactly the same as far as the removal is concerned. The first time I was doing it, I was also afraid to break the plastic trim. Here are my suggestions, get a couple of flat head screwdrivers and wrap the ends with electrical tape. Insert the screwdriver head into the slot and try twisting the screwdriver slowly. Once you get a little opening insert the second screwdriver a few inches from the first one. Once you pop the corner clip you can just remove the rest with your hands.
good luck,
Max

·
Registered
112 Posts
Good news, I was able to remove the dash, I pulled a little harder and it popped. I replaced the bulb, didn't break anything, hope I don't have to do this too often though. It only cost me $3.88 CDN for the bulb. Thanks everyone.

Reactions: CrownHeightsOdy

·
Registered
4 Posts
2006 Touring : No Light in Upper Half of Climate Control Panel

The upper row of the climate control instrumentation panel lost light about a month ago. Upper row includes
- fresh-circulated button
- defroster/defogger
- back light for LCD
- fan up/down
- mode button
- A/C button

I am suspecting a bad light bulb. Does anyone have experience/insight?

I can use some advice here.

Next question, if "light bulb", is how many parts I need to remove before getting to the light bulb.

Any suggestions/comments/insight is welcome.

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,238 Posts
Re: 2006 Touring : No Light in Upper Half of Climate Control Panel

wingman said:
I am suspecting a bad light bulb. Does anyone have experience/insight?
Merged with the relevant thread. :)

Its not one bulb that's bad causing the lights to be out. All the ones that are out are dead.

Since you will have the whole unit out, I recommend replacing ALL the bulbs as the ones that are working will go out some days/months down the line. So, replace 'em all and be done with it in one shot.

:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looking for Bulb Location in GTA ($3.88) Aircondition Control Backlight Bulbs

OH TWINS said:
Good news, I was able to remove the dash, I pulled a little harder and it popped. I replaced the bulb, didn't break anything, hope I don't have to do this too often though. It only cost me $3.88 CDN for the bulb. Thanks everyone.
Hi!

Thank you to the orginal posters of this thread. Very helplful indeed.

Just wanted to ask where you go the bulbs from. I live in Toronto too and went to a Honda dealer to ask him about the bulbs and he quoted me $34. Not sure if he knew what he was looking at and what he was quoting me.

Could you tell me where you got these bulbs at for $3.88 in GTA?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are 2 types of bulbs and therefore 2 part numbers. maxud wrote :
It takes two types of bulbs:

4 gray base bulbs that act as a backlight for all climate control buttons:
part number: 79674-S3N-941 (BULB, NEO-WEDGE (14V 80MA))

2 black base bulbs that act as a backlight for climate control lcd:
part number: 79607-SHJ-S01 (BULB, NEO-WEDGE (8V 0.1A))

Quotes I got (USD) :
- 79674-S3N-941 $4.23 e.a.
- 79607-SHJ-S01 $29.30 e.a.

I assume you were getting a quote for 79607-SHJ-S01, not 79674-S3N-941.

BTW, at the end, I only had to change 2 79674-S3N-941 bulbs. It took less than 15 minutes; cost < $10.

Thx to maxud and the rest in this forum!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Those black base bulbs are expensive! (79607-SHJ-S01)
Our dealer has them for $16.13 but that's with a 25% discount they have right now and you must buy 2.

·
Registered
16 Posts
2002 Ody climate control light

The Radio Shack part number given above (272-1092) is for the clock in the 2002 Ody. I just replaced that (and put the same bulb in the Hazard light button too), and it's smaller than my burnt out bulb for the rear climate control knob.

Does anyone know if the rear climate control dash light for a 2002 Ody can be purchased at Radio Shack? part number?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
*Just have to vent* I can't believe this. I replaced one bad gray base bulb, but in the process two more went bad. Are these things delicate or something? The only way I can think of the two new bulbs going bad is when I had to tap on the center console upside down to get the bulbs to drop into my hand. At this rate, I'm going to give the Radio Shack bulbs a shot and reuse the bases I already have. If they still go bad, I may look into LEDs from autolumination.com.

·
Registered
516 Posts
champ.49er said:
*Just have to vent* I can't believe this. I replaced one bad gray base bulb, but in the process two more went bad. Are these things delicate or something? The only way I can think of the two new bulbs going bad is when I had to tap on the center console upside down to get the bulbs to drop into my hand. At this rate, I'm going to give the Radio Shack bulbs a shot and reuse the bases I already have. If they still go bad, I may look into LEDs from autolumination.com.
haha that's what i noticed too... i love popping then panels off but i just notice bulbs dying..i just fixed my gear lever and hazard button light and now with interior light switch bulb went out. and when i removed the lower center console to clean the carpet, one of the seat heater switches went out too..lol

1 - 20 of 272 Posts