Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DIY Sound Deadening - Make your car quiet like a tomb!

This is probably one of the easiest things you guys & gals can do to your car to make it quite inside, almost quiet enough to hear a pin drop. The Odyssey is by far one of the most noisy cars I have ever owned. All the road noise, wind noise and engine noise filters and echoes in the cabin due to poor designs and baffling by the factory. This DIY will show you how to take your car from economy to Luxury.

Time: 1-3 hours per door (depending on how many layers you do. I wouldn't do more than 3 max)

Tools: Razor blades or Exacto knife, shop paper towels, degreaser/cleaner, plastic scraper (not metal it will scratch) & Heat gun *optional*

1. Start by removing the door panel plastic. *remove interior door handle cup screw, pull out door handle cup, slide off door lock lever from cup, remove screws in door handle pull, pop all clips holding door panel to door frame, remove power connectors from door courtesy light and window switch, lift off door panel*

2. Carefully pull away all the plastic sheeting that covers the door skin shown below.

Should look like this when done.

3. Using a Plastic or Wood scraper, I used a plastic trim panel tool, carefully scrape away all of the silicone. *note, do not use a metal scraper, you will scratch the metal and allow rust to form later on*

4. Once all the silicone is removed, clean the entire door skin surface with degreaser / cleaner. Do not use paint thinner. Any oils left on the metal will not allow the sound deadener to stick to the panel.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
5. Next, using hose loom, cover the door lock rods. This is important because if you skip this step, your door locks will likely not operate once you cover them with sound deadener.

6. Once the lines are covered, you can start cutting and laying mat. Cut the mat to the desired shape and peel away the wax paper to reveal the adhesive side. When applying try not to cover any wiring as if you ever need to remove the door you won't have to cut up the good sound mat you applied earlier. Use a wooden roller to firmly adhere the mat to the door skin. Be sure there are NO air pockets.

7. If you want the most out of this stuff, I would recommend doing 1 layer of mat on the inside of the door shell (on the outer skin), and 2-3 layers on the door frame as shown. The main point is to cover all of the cut-outs in the door skin as they allow the sound waves to vibrate and "echo" into the cabin.
*Here is my door panel finished with 1 layer on the inside and 2 layers on the outside. = 3 layers total. This is about 14sq. feet of mat (per door)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Great write up. I've been disappointed, as well, with the amount of interior noise there is in the Odyssey. I'll be doing something similar, when I start tearing into mine. :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
I was just pointing out an extremist version of sound deadening. It is a huge pain in the ass to do door interiors(skins). From doing just an inside panel versus door skin, inner panel and door panel, the benefit is quite marginal. The link I posted is a dude that works with Best Buy and probably gets the stuff at cost. I personally wouldn't go as far as the guy did.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Nsxnext1 - he did install on the inside!!:D
*Here is my door panel finished with 1 layer on the inside and 2 layers on the outside. = 3 layers total. This is about 14sq. feet of mat (per door)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I did install it on the inside of the door skin. As stated in the last sentence of my pictures thread.
1 on the inside, 2 on the outside = 3 layers. Not including the layer of Foam i am putting on the back of the plastic panels.

·
Registered
54 Posts
yakuza said:
Yes I did install it on the inside of the door skin. As stated in the last sentence of my pictures thread.
1 on the inside, 2 on the outside = 3 layers. Not including the layer of Foam i am putting on the back of the plastic panels.
Got it! :nice:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nice write up .

I did the outside of the door (~3 layers), and a layer of foam and jute on the plastic door panel, but didn't replace the plastic sheet as you showed, I think I will do it next time =]

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are a couple of more affordable choices I didn't see mentioned. At the very low end, there is the 3M insulating foam you spray on in a can, that could be applied to the underbody ($6.99 on Amazon). Then, there are the 3M sound deadening mats ("3M Company 3M-8840 Sound Deadening Pads 10 Case )--about $65, though Amazon sells ONE for about $35. These sound the most economical, as there are some more expensive pads. I'm a little nervous modifying a relatively newer vehicle, but I'm gaining confidence reading these posts. Thanks!

·
Registered
439 Posts
I had 2 part foam sprayed in my dodge van back in 1975 & it made a big difference, BUT moisture or condensation got between the door and foam and started rusting doors out . Even the ceiling, because I had the entire van sprayed, and then reinstalled the factory panels. I'm leery of doing any of such now. I'll live with a little noise. Actually compared to my diesel ford van the Ody does seem like a Cadillac!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts