Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DIY Sound Deadening - Make your car quiet like a tomb!

This is probably one of the easiest things you guys & gals can do to your car to make it quite inside, almost quiet enough to hear a pin drop. The Odyssey is by far one of the most noisy cars I have ever owned. All the road noise, wind noise and engine noise filters and echoes in the cabin due to poor designs and baffling by the factory. This DIY will show you how to take your car from economy to Luxury.

Time: 1-3 hours per door (depending on how many layers you do. I wouldn't do more than 3 max)

Tools: Razor blades or Exacto knife, shop paper towels, degreaser/cleaner, plastic scraper (not metal it will scratch) & Heat gun *optional*

1. Start by removing the door panel plastic. *remove interior door handle cup screw, pull out door handle cup, slide off door lock lever from cup, remove screws in door handle pull, pop all clips holding door panel to door frame, remove power connectors from door courtesy light and window switch, lift off door panel*

2. Carefully pull away all the plastic sheeting that covers the door skin shown below.

Should look like this when done.

3. Using a Plastic or Wood scraper, I used a plastic trim panel tool, carefully scrape away all of the silicone. *note, do not use a metal scraper, you will scratch the metal and allow rust to form later on*

4. Once all the silicone is removed, clean the entire door skin surface with degreaser / cleaner. Do not use paint thinner. Any oils left on the metal will not allow the sound deadener to stick to the panel.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
5. Next, using hose loom, cover the door lock rods. This is important because if you skip this step, your door locks will likely not operate once you cover them with sound deadener.

6. Once the lines are covered, you can start cutting and laying mat. Cut the mat to the desired shape and peel away the wax paper to reveal the adhesive side. When applying try not to cover any wiring as if you ever need to remove the door you won't have to cut up the good sound mat you applied earlier. Use a wooden roller to firmly adhere the mat to the door skin. Be sure there are NO air pockets.

7. If you want the most out of this stuff, I would recommend doing 1 layer of mat on the inside of the door shell (on the outer skin), and 2-3 layers on the door frame as shown. The main point is to cover all of the cut-outs in the door skin as they allow the sound waves to vibrate and "echo" into the cabin.
*Here is my door panel finished with 1 layer on the inside and 2 layers on the outside. = 3 layers total. This is about 14sq. feet of mat (per door)

·
Registered
31 Posts
What was your total cost per door for this and where did you buy the material? Did you do all 4 doors plus the hatch? How do you get at the inner door panel? Just use very small pieces and go through the hole before you cover it up? Are you going to do the floor and roof too?

Thanks, very tempting.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I bought some b-quiet stuff, cheaper than name brand but got good reviews. but I've been lazy as heck its still in the box I got over a year ago...

be quiet

1 - 4 of 4 Posts