Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Ex 100k. I have been warned by local shops not to start towing a small boat at 100k when I asked about adding a magnefine filter and hayden 678 cooler....I really want to tow this 1550llb sailboat and trailer. Any thoughts. Bad idea ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Are we missing some information here? I cannot imagine why you are being advised not to tow. That weight is well within the towing capacity of the Odyssey. If the van has been maintained well, I see no issue with it pulling anything that light.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was hoping someone would give a vote of confidence. I will go ahead with my plans. I saw here that a Hayden 678 AT cooler is a better choice than the OEM. Any advice on cooler brand or model or tube versus fin ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to mention that the word is that the transmissions are strong but the torque converters are not and that when they start to go the metal they put into the system takes down the rest.

·
Registered
76 Posts
In that case, I would would still equip the Odyssey for towing and pull the boat a couple times. Then maybe get the tranny flushed to clean out any metal and to check for the presence of metal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed an OEM Trans cooler and PS cooler on my 04 somewhere around 90 k miles. Ive been towing a Rhodes 19 for short to moderate distances with no issues. The R-19 weghs 1325 lbs and I estimate that the trailer is somewhere around 700 lbs for an all up weight of around 2000 lbs. I have no trailer brakes but have had no difficulty stopping. Do follow the recommendation of using premium gasoline (93) octane. It seems like the transmission does less shifting at highway speeds as compared to using 87 octane. I have 135k miles on it now with no signs of any transmission issues. I have changed the transmission fluid every 30K because of doing some serious mountain driving while visting western national parks.( not while towing). I don't think you will have any issues if you drive sensibly and change your trans fluid as recommended in the owners manual.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. My cooler came in today.However, I may be feeling a CV joint problem emerging Some jumping felt at very low speeds in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Towing with 2006 Ody 93k mi

I'm just beginning the Pop Up Trailer experience...

Have not purchased the camper yet. Trying to get the 06 Ody in tow-mode prior to making the purchase. Looking at a smaller camper; 8' - 10' box that is lightweight (<2000 lbs).

So far, I've:
Installed a class III after-market hitch (purchaced from suspension connection $116.00) along with a 4-pin wiring harness. Both easy to install. I will need to get the 4 to 7-pin adaptor (for trailer with electric brakes).

Hitch rides really low in the rear! I'm a little uneasy about this, but I live in the flat lands of Florida, so it may not be an issue - except for speed bumps!

Question:
I see tranny coolers available on etrailer for around $30 - $60. How "easy" are these to install for a mechaniclly-inclined, do-it-your-selfer?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DIY Cooler

The Hayen 678 looks easy after removing the front bumper. Waitng for warmer weather to go for it. looks like average skill to me. My vibration turned out to be a bad tire. All is well. Changed out the PS fluid and added a Magnifine filter. Do not plan to add a cooler to the PS. Brake fluid was flushed when a 06 recall came out for the master cylinder. It was all free ! Lucky day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I whined about the trailer hitch/cooler install on my '05 Ody as overkill. There are some powertrain warranty issues if you put a hitch on without the tranny and PS coolers. I went ahead and put the whole Honda hitch/coolers package on. It's a lot of work, none of it out of the realm of a reasonably handy DIY'er. I routinely pull a small utility trailer, and a 16' boat (short distances) - no problem. I recently pulled a tall, 12' foot enclosed, trailer with about 500# of lumber in it, about 800 miles. With a load, or empty, at highway speeds, the wind resistance from the trailer was very noticeable, and caused the tranny to constantly shift in and out of O/D. I then really appreciated having the coolers on. If you are considering a hitch for any reason, I'd bite the bullet and install the coolers too. The Honda hitch is the best looking, IMHO, and does not hang down at all. Using the Honda coolers keeps the Honda dealers from trying to jack me around if there ever is a powertrain issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts