Hi All, One TPMS sensor is going low battery. Time to replace 4 since I did not know to replace with new tires 7k earlier. Costco mentioned around $160 for 4. Or replace one at a time. Should I go with Costco with whatever brand sensor and replacement? Or get OEMs or your recommended brand...
Changed TPMS sensors in the driveway. Forgot to post a DIY, so here it is.
VDO SE55901 (now SE55903). As suggested, 2008 Touring uses self-programmed sensor. Installed and few mins later all done.
1. Expel the air by loosening the valve.
2. Use 4x4 wood blocks. Drive the car over with the wood on up to edge of the rim. You may have to do in two spots if the tire does not open up enough. This is to just break the bead.
3. Use 2 small 2x4 to wedge both sides of the valve enough to be able to reach in.
4. Hold the valve and loosen the nut from top using a socket or box end wrench
5. Holding the valve inner, remove the nut. You do not want the valve to fall in, then fish it out.
6. Insert the new valve positioning as shown in the pics
7. Hold the bottom of the valve as you tighten the nut on top. Just in case it falls in. Happened once as I was not paying attention.
8. Put some soap around the bead. Press the tire side as you inflate with air compressor. If you have tie down straps, that helps.
9. Once you hear pops, you are done. The bead is pretty much at the rim. Inflate to 37-38. Then go back to 32-33 or your preferred pressure.
10. Test for leaks. Pour some soapy water around the rim and some on the valve.