Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Changed TPMS sensors in the driveway. Forgot to post a DIY, so here it is.

VDO SE55901 (now SE55903). As suggested, 2008 Touring uses self-programmed sensor. Installed and few mins later all done.

1. Expel the air by loosening the valve.
2. Use 4x4 wood blocks. Drive the car over with the wood on up to edge of the rim. You may have to do in two spots if the tire does not open up enough. This is to just break the bead.
3. Use 2 small 2x4 to wedge both sides of the valve enough to be able to reach in.
4. Hold the valve and loosen the nut from top using a socket or box end wrench
5. Holding the valve inner, remove the nut. You do not want the valve to fall in, then fish it out.
6. Insert the new valve positioning as shown in the pics
7. Hold the bottom of the valve as you tighten the nut on top. Just in case it falls in. Happened once as I was not paying attention.
8. Put some soap around the bead. Press the tire side as you inflate with air compressor. If you have tie down straps, that helps.
9. Once you hear pops, you are done. The bead is pretty much at the rim. Inflate to 37-38. Then go back to 32-33 or your preferred pressure.
10. Test for leaks. Pour some soapy water around the rim and some on the valve.

Camera accessory Camera Cameras & optics Camera lens Font
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hubcap
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Gas Tread
Automotive tire Fluid Wood Automotive wheel system Rim
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Locking hubs
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Vehicle

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Initial detection after replacement ...
Speedometer Odometer Tachometer Gauge Trip computer
Speedometer Odometer Gauge Measuring instrument Trip computer

Notes. I also tried to break tire bead using floor jack. Tire kept flipping. Maybe it is best if the tire was held down. That is when I just used block of wood I had left over from fence post removal.

Takes about an hour, unless you have a helper so you do not have to go back and forth and in/out of car. So it would have cost 160x4. So I saved over $500 and lost 1.5 hrs. Costco was going to charge for programming even though this vehicle trim did not need one.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just fyi... It appears part 903 is the current one for VDO.
RockAuto: VDO / CONTINENTAL SE55903 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} OE Remote; No Programming Required - Follow OE Relearn Procedure After Install Info
EX Model; EX-L Model; LX Model; 315 MHz (Only 2 Remaining)

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey Touring
494 Posts
So it would have cost 160x4. So I saved over $500 and lost 1.5 hrs. Costco was going to charge for programming even though this vehicle trim did not need one.
I'm confused by this. How would it save $500 when it costs about $40 per sensor? I can't imagine it would cost $120 each for programming / installation.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm confused by this. How would it save $500 when it costs about $40 per sensor? I can't imagine it would cost $120 each for programming / installation.
This from my original thread. Costco. Details are in that thread where 1 guy gives me wrong figure and when I go in actual is 160 per tire....
Thanks Max. Yeah the two times I was there, it was the same guy. Today when I called to take appt, this guy was saying 360-380. 60 each + install/prog charges. So that 120 ea makes more sense and looks like you can start with 1 or do 4. Then right now only 1 has issue. I did not check at local tire shop about me taking one in.

Since Touring self-learns, would it be cheaper to get one and just have local shop install it? Or I can even buy an Autel or Foxwell programmer and first do it and them have the shop install.
Costco charges $40 per sensor + labor PER TIRE. +Taxes. It does not matter you do 1 at a time or all 4. Thus 160 x 4 = $640 (actual verbal quote). On RA I got the VDO sensors x4 = 104. Round off to 110 --> 640 - 110 = $536 savings.

So whatever it is, its sensor + labor. Then x4. If someone actually did this as a task vs doing during a tire change, it would be nice to know a final bill total. Notice one worker said 40 and one said 60. If Costco workers give quotes like this (if actual does come different +/- ), I am not sure how consumers would get this done with them. For some folks this is pretty high amount just to have a TPMS sensor. That is discouraging. My thought was to purchase NT510 and do this myself. At least now, I can technically use that money to get one of these.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey Touring
494 Posts
This from my original thread. Costco. Details are in that thread where 1 guy gives me wrong figure and when I go in actual is 160 per tire....

Costco charges $40 per sensor + labor PER TIRE. +Taxes. It does not matter you do 1 at a time or all 4. Thus 160 x 4 = $640 (actual verbal quote). On RA I got the VDO sensors x4 = 104. Round off to 110 --> 640 - 110 = $536 savings.

So whatever it is, its sensor + labor. Then x4. If someone actually did this as a task vs doing during a tire change, it would be nice to know a final bill total. Notice one worker said 40 and one said 60. If Costco workers give quotes like this (if actual does come different +/- ), I am not sure how consumers would get this done with them. For some folks this is pretty high amount just to have a TPMS sensor. That is discouraging. My thought was to purchase NT510 and do this myself. At least now, I can technically use that money to get one of these.
Wow, that is messed up.

I was looking for tires on the Costco website for another vehicle a few days ago, and they were charging $20 installation per tire + $3 TPMS fee so I don't know how they could get anywhere near the $100 per wheel for installation of TPMS sensors.

Discount Tire has similar installation fees so I'm sure they are pretty standard across the industry. When I Depaxed getting wheels, tires, and new TPMS from them the only TPMS related charge was for the sensors themselves. I had the normal installation fees for anyone just buying new tires only. In fact Discount Tire repaired a tire for me for free earlier this year on a different car which had the original tires from the factory (tires not purchased from them). It required dismounting / remounting the tire and balancing it.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ah, good to know. I never checked the website or I would have been able to ask them about it. In another thread (old) John Clark mentioned that he was able to get them installed during tire purchase. Wonder how much extra was charged or if the tech was nice enough to just install the provided sensors since tire is off the rim.

But maybe with new tire purchase/install, they have lower charges. Since I went in on their tires but as a separate service... and maybe they cannot remove the programming fee. Now that I do not need it, maybe I will ask them again when they are not so busy.

Edit: I remember the TPMS fee. This is normal part of tire install fee for vehicles that have TPMS. This does not include sensor replacement. For example, my sedan does not have it so this fee is not on that bill.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts