Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there aren't too many people burning their own DVD's yet, but does anyone know if the DVD player in the 2002 RES will play DVD-R's?

·
Registered
4 Posts
hello,

No according to the informational dvd given to you with the res system. It states that the system is not capable of handling them, but I have not tried!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I dont think thats true; like CD-Rs, most consumer CD players (even my crappy one from the early 80s) will play burned audio CD-Rs.

Likewise; Apple states that better than 99% of all consumer DVD players will handle DVDs burned on their 'superdrive' (pioneer a03) using iDVD. I'll bet Compaq has similar information on their 'superdrive' PCs but I haven't looked.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had my brother burn me a "test" DVD-R using Apple's Power Mac G4 with the Superdrive. I plan to purchase a new home theater and wanted a way to try before I buy. I plan on buying that computer to do my own home movies. When I finally get my new Ody, I'll try out the test disk and let everyone know if it works. The Honda Owner's Manual didn't say that they wouldn't work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just got my MB EXL-RES and tested a VCD. It works great! I recorded the movie on CD-RW using Nero Burning Rom. Feel free to email me if you need any help!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tried out the RES with a DVD-R I had made as a "test" disk. Works great. Now I can make my own home movies and let the wee ones watch them!

------------------
Chris

'02 SS EX-L RES
'98 Explorer XLT
'94 Prism Lsi

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a 2003 RES and tested the following:

DVD+R (Fujifilm) - NO
DVD+RW (Meritline) - NO
DVD-R (Meritline) - YES
CD-R media with VCD 2.0 Burn (Various Brands) - NO
CDRW (Compusa 4x) with VCD 2.0 vurn - NO

Bottom line is very dissapointing so far in that only DVD-R seems to work. I need to try some other media as I was hoping to build a VCD library for the car.

Anyone had luck with CD-R's? If so what kind and what did you use to burn?

Pat

·
Registered
67 Posts
Works fines with VCD,s and DVD's burned on my Mac G4

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have no problems with viewing CD-Rs that I create on my PC using Imation CD-RWs and Nero. (I learned which brand to use by performing a search of this forum)

I have tried several (at least 6) brands of DVD+R using Nero with no success. Since the stock unit is a Panasonic, I doubt any DVD+R will work - but if anyone figures out a magical combination - please let me know.

**my bad, I meant Panasonic - Thanks for the correction !

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
RES Head Unit is Panasonic

Just for clarification the RES DVD player is Panasonic (Matsu****a).

Wow, nice bad word filtering Jim!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Markovich said:
Works fines with VCD,s and DVD's burned on my Mac G4
To date Mac burned DVDs are in the DVD-R format.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I tried about a dozen different brands of dvd-r's last summer when I get my 2002. I had one or two brands the ody would recognize after I burned the dvd but after about one month the dvd would have a lot of less than 1 second dropouts. I cleaned the dvd but the were still there. They would all read fine every time in the pc though. I read the droupout ones in on my pc and burned them again using Imation dvd-r's. I have since converted my sons vhs collection over to about 90 dvds. They all play now no problems in the van.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Disk media and players are sure funny like that. I have an old-school top-of-the-line Sony Mobile ES CD player in the Ody and it doesn't do CD-Rs too well. This is back from a time when Sony was really pushing MiniDisk. The funny part is that most non-Sony brands of CD-Rs will play, but none of the Sony's will. :D

Enter 2003, burnable DVDs, different brands, different standards "- and +" and different players--hello chaos. I guess the thing to do is try everything, and report back on what works. In other words, thanks for the testing folks! :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just wanted to throw my 2cents in. After reading the various threads here concerning what media the RES units will read, I tried Memorex 4x DVD-R's - and they work in my 2004 RES Player.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yep, I use DVD-r's in our Ody, the -r's work great in every DVD player we have. DVD+r's only worked in one machine. I use Ritek G04 media, because they burn in 15 minutes (4X) with my burner.

DVD Burner tips:

I learned that DVD burners are not the same as CD burners, (simply throw any media in, and it'll work as advertised). The blank media has a code embedded in it, and the firmware of the burner must recognize it, if you want to be able to burn it at the maximum speed. So, I updated my burner firmware, and use the media that's recommended at the bottom link.

Media link:

http://www.supermediastore.com/ritek-4xdvdr-fs.html
$27 for 25 Ritek G04 DVD-r blanks.

Burner link:

http://avlogic.com/product.cgi?code=18030059
$102 w/free shipping for internal NEC 4X DVD burner for -r/rw and +r/rw media

Software link:

http://www.dvdxcopy.com/gold.asp

$99 after rebate for DVD Xcopy Gold, (has copied everything I've tried thus far)

Also, I had to update the firmware in the DVD burner so it'll recognize more media:

http://herrie.rpc1.org/

Read the FAQ, and use the "Free" version for US burners.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well I just tried my Memorex 4x dvd-rs, also burned with dvd x copy gold (Best Buy $20 w/rebates), and surprisingly it didn't work. Burned on a sony Sony DW-U10A which supports all formats.

03redody - are you using xcopy express or the full version? Mine seem to be hanging up at the opening warning screen and they don't continue to the movie. Are you copying full disc or only the movie?

The work fine on several other dvd players.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Xcopy gold comes with Xcopy Xpress, and regular Xcopy. If I can use Xcopy, I do, because it preserves the menus, if it'll take two discs, I use express, with all the defaults, and it works fine.

Have you checked for any firmware updates for your Sony Drive?

**Sorry for thread hijck**

·
Registered
44 Posts
I haven't performed any firmware updates - it's an OEM drive I got from newegg.com, so it's a little more work to find support for it. I don't like to update drivers unless I have an issue, and it's been working fine thusfar. The Sony burners were the first to do all formats so a firmware shouldn't be necessary. The -rs have worked fine in other players.

XCopy questions (I'm a noob):
Are you using the default burn engine or the Nero one?
When you use express do you have full disc selected or no? My copies have been with default engine, full disc unselected, widescreen. When I put the dvd in my home player it auto-plays - starting with the dvd copy warning screen then goes straight to movie. In the Ody it hangs at the dvd copy screen.

I'm out of blanks at the moment - waiting for my order from Amazon - Memorex 4x dvd-r, $29 for a 25 pack - free shipping.

Thanks for the help - a major part of having this burner is to play them in the Ody.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts