Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Do I have fake 303?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Mel 
#1 ·
What does 303 look and smell like? I ordered some from Camping World, and when the new new van came in, I put it on every piece of plastic there is. I expected something different. When I put the 303 on, it smelled like watered-down armorall and left the plastic glossy and a little oily feeling. It is a white liquid like armorall. I am also getting some outgassing onto the windshield that I think is from treating the dash with 303. Is this normal? From other threads, I got the impression that 303 was more of a statin finish. Did I get ripped off by Camping World, did they substitute armorall for my 303?

#2 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Curculio:
What does 303 look and smell like? I ordered some from Camping World, and when the new new van came in, I put it on every piece of plastic there is. I expected something different. When I put the 303 on, it smelled like watered-down armorall and left the plastic glossy and a little oily feeling. It is a white liquid like armorall. I am also getting some outgassing onto the windshield that I think is from treating the dash with 303. Is this normal? From other threads, I got the impression that 303 was more of a statin finish. Did I get ripped off by Camping World, did they substitute armorall for my 303?</font>
It's hard to tell if you got something other than what you ordered or if you were just expecting something with different qualities. The only non-subjective test I can think of is to drag a finger across a part on which you've applied the "303". I think if it's something like Armor-All you'll probably be able to see where you dragged your finger across it, but 303 leaves a dry finish that won't usually show finger marks.

Also, don't forget that "satin" finish is low gloss, not "no-gloss".

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

#3 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Curculio:
left the plastic glossy and a little oily feeling. It is a white liquid like armorall. I am also getting some outgassing onto the windshield that I think is from treating the dash with 303</font>
You do know you're supposed to wipe it off, right? After it dries, you can even buff it for a more satin look/feel. I use the stuff on my dashboard that then sits in 110* heat, in the sun (making the inside close to 150 degrees!) I've never had the stuff vaporize onto my windshield.

The way you describe it sounds right. It has a very faint odor, and is a white liquid. Put some Armorall on some similar vinyl, and the look/feel difference should be obvious.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX (ULEV)- currently the BIG car.
1997 EV1 (ZEV) in process - "This is NOT your father's golf cart"

#4 ·
Did your 303 come in a "303" brand bottle? Camping world sells something called "Protect-All", which the RV guys like, but it leaves a different finish, if I am not mistaken.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

#5 ·
It is pretty shiny, shinier than I would of thought satin would be - pretty bad glare on the windshield when the sun shines in. I had some satin or low gloss armorall at one time, and it was less shiny than this. I did wipe it off. I haven't tried the "finger" test, yet. I will try that tonight. When a ran my finger over it earlier, I thought my fingertip felt greasy, but I didn't notice any difference on the dash. I will also try wiping it again. It came in an official 303 bottle. Maybe I was just expecting something different.

#6 ·
To me, ANYTHING you put on the dash will cause more reflection onto the windshield. That's why I am planning on making or buying a dash cover in a VERY dark (probably black) material. It is amazing how much better one can see on a sunny day with a dull, dark dash cover installed.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.