Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2007 and I plan to pull a 12 ft aluminum fishing boat. It's small enough that two people can easily lift it and I'd estimate everything to be 500 lb at most. There's only going to be 4 passengers total in the van so technically the additional trailer weight would be the equivalent of 3 people that are 150 lb each. The van should be able to handle 7 passengers plus cargo without a trans cooler right?

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
If you're going to tow with any odyssey, ATF cooler is necessary.

I personally would just drive carefully if it was a one time scenario. The 07-10 odyssey transmission have the beefiest transmission out of any odyssey IMHO.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Agree with MrRangerZr1, even though the 07-10 trans are a far better design vs the 05-06's I to would suggest a trans cooler. Beyond towing you get the benefit of additional heat transfer all the time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ody transmission?? Dont even think of towing anything without an extra transmission cooler and a heavy duty power steering cooler (or was that a standard ody feature in 2007). Also towing anything on this car generally requires a weight distributing hitch attachment as per the manual. My experience towing is read the book dont guess. Its expensive if you are wrong.

·
Registered
723 Posts
No you don't need a tranny cooler for something that light which is just like having a couple more passengers. That being said, having one is good piece of mind. The '07 is the pilot tranny and they are pretty robust. With something that light, your tranny should just lock out like normal and there should be no issues or additional heat. I would not worry if I were you. And WDH is completely unnecessary for this tow situation.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Ody transmission?? Dont even think of towing anything without an extra transmission cooler and a heavy duty power steering cooler (or was that a standard ody feature in 2007). Also towing anything on this car generally requires a weight distributing hitch attachment as per the manual. My experience towing is read the book dont guess. Its expensive if you are wrong.
WDH? Uh, no. That 500 lb trailer will have 50-75 lbs of tongue weight. Less than 2 bags of softner salt. For 4 people and the 500 lbs for a local tow no cooler needed IMO. We are well past the ills of the Gen2 with the 5 speed that had all the issues. 1,000 lbs + is a different animal, especially if the trailer is taller than the van as frontal area is a far bigger issue than weight alone, but that little boat will be shorter than the van so no added wind resistance either.

·
Registered
62 Posts
As mentioned...no downsides to the trans cooler., other than the time and expense to install it. Under $200. unless you pay to get it done.

Were are you going to tow to? How much elevation change? How fast?

If you were to put it in D, not OD, and set the cruise at 3,000-3,500 rpm and take your time, then you could tow a whole lot more than that.

ON my '02, the cooler was easy to put on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts