Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been watching for years in the forum for info on the van. Was hoping that the 2022 model had some decent updates but from what I read, nope, just no vacuum.

So, since I have no desire to buy the end of a generation, what do folks think for a 2023 model? When would it be released since they just did the 2022?

So many things have changed with technology, I would hate to look at other MFg's vans, but, just simple things like LOTS of high powered USB plugs is a must.
Is there a different van that is more current with technology being introduced I should consider? I love my 2016 model, but, ....

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
1,436 Posts
What do we know about 2023?

As of buying end of generation - they would have all the kinks worked out. 2023 would come with a new set of issues.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,726 Posts
And how do you know 2022 is end of generation? For all you know, it could be 2023.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,759 Posts
Yup, I don't think there's going to be a new Odyssey released for 2023. Honda has typically done 3 years pre-refresh, then 3 years post-refresh for the Odyssey. The previous generation even had a 7 year run, with 3 years pre-refresh then 4 years post-refresh. Honda stuck with a 3 year pre-refresh cycle for 2018-2020... I'm thinking they're going to do another 3 or 4 years post-refresh, which would mean a new Odyssey isn't coming until 2024 or maybe 2025.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yes I wouldn’t expect much for 2023 whenever it happens. No reason for Honda to invest much in the final years of a generation.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Since you have been reading posts on this site for years. Surprised you are still considering an Odyssey.
I would go the Sienna route for more reliability.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After all the warranty horrors with our 2019 Touring, I would steer clear until a new generation is released. Even then, I would wait two years until bugs found in the wild are resolved. This generation of Odyssey was a huge jump from mechanical/electrical to software driven technology. I don't believe Honda is yet at the required level to execute this type of paradigm shift successfully.

Our van still does not have a working center console after three months. This among over a half dozen other issues fixed under warranty. Thankfully, we will be starting arbitration this month for a buy back. I liken this to Honda's return to F1 which was a dismal failure. Cars are not like how they used to be when most functions were based on mechanical and electrical logic which Honda mastered over decades. With software, all it takes is a few bad devs and the whole thing goes south... This comes from a software developer of 22 years!

·
Registered
28 Posts
youre going to be waiting a very long time for 2023. what is it besdies usb and technology are you looking for or at? is there anything specific that you absolutely need?

·
Registered
236 Posts
After all the warranty horrors with our 2019 Touring, I would steer clear until a new generation is released. Even then, I would wait two years until bugs found in the wild are resolved. This generation of Odyssey was a huge jump from mechanical/electrical to software driven technology. I don't believe Honda is yet at the required level to execute this type of paradigm shift successfully.

Our van still does not have a working center console after three months. This among over a half dozen other issues fixed under warranty. Thankfully, we will be starting arbitration this month for a buy back. I liken this to Honda's return to F1 which was a dismal failure. Cars are not like how they used to be when most functions were based on mechanical and electrical logic which Honda mastered over decades. With software, all it takes is a few bad devs and the whole thing goes south... This comes from a software developer of 22 years!
I've said exactly the same thing after reading this forum. Sounds like the software wasn't fully developed before being brought to market. And bug fixes aren't being fully regression tested before being released.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Kia Carnival and the 2021 Chrysler Pacifica are the minivans to beat, in my view. Lots of technology and better comfort. The one part I am not yet convinced of is which ones drives best for long trips.

I'm eyeing a Carnival myself, but nothing is set in stone.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
1,436 Posts
Kinks worked out. Every new gen comes with its own set of issues etc. Kinks in the smooth experience, so to speak. Usually by the time you get to the last year model - they're worked out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have an open mind so yes, I am reading here and will be looking at what all mini van options are. I am still biased to Honda, but just do not think this latest gen has been too great

·
Registered
13 Posts
OP, check out the new Sienna. It’s great, except IMO, feels slow and drives like a boat. But the tech and interior and 40 mpg are better than the Ody.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I continue to look at options. Would love to buy a new van, or something but, ..... I am still biased to Honda, but, open minded also. I do remove my middle seats at times so this is a must for hauling stuff.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts