Honda Odyssey Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I echo what others have said: Over the past 50+ years, the best, most reliable and in the end most memorable vehicles I have owned have all been near or at the end of their model cycle. Right now, next to my 2022 Ody in the garage, is a 2019 Outback – the last of Subaru's 6-cylnder vehicles. Both are keepers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I echo what others have said: Over the past 50+ years, the best, most reliable and in the end most memorable vehicles I have owned have all been near or at the end of their model cycle. Right now, next to my 2022 Ody in the garage, is a 2019 Outback – the last of Subaru's 6-cylnder vehicles. Both are keepers.
Yea, logically you are 100% correct. But emotionally, when I took a long trip last weekend with all the family needing USB power for their devices, having cables and splitters running all throughout the
car was the pits!! So, I want a car with so many USB ports it looks dumb. Pretty stupid, right. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I do agree that there are certain must-have features that can tip the scales. For me, it wasn't USB ports (although I appreciate the aggravation) it was the Honda Sensing suite of features. I was driving a perfect 2014, that would probably have taken me another 100K miles, but I wanted the safety features that the 2022 offered. (I need all the help I can get. :) )

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I do agree that there are certain must-have features that can tip the scales. For me, it wasn't USB ports (although I appreciate the aggravation) it was the Honda Sensing suite of features. I was driving a perfect 2014, that would probably have taken me another 100K miles, but I wanted the safety features that the 2022 offered. (I need all the help I can get. :) )
I want the sensing for the boss also, but for some reason want to see what their "new" platform will have. I could still be the "Last" of the old one still

·
Registered
2 Posts
After all the warranty horrors with our 2019 Touring, I would steer clear until a new generation is released. Even then, I would wait two years until bugs found in the wild are resolved. This generation of Odyssey was a huge jump from mechanical/electrical to software driven technology. I don't believe Honda is yet at the required level to execute this type of paradigm shift successfully.

Our van still does not have a working center console after three months. This among over a half dozen other issues fixed under warranty. Thankfully, we will be starting arbitration this month for a buy back. I liken this to Honda's return to F1 which was a dismal failure. Cars are not like how they used to be when most functions were based on mechanical and electrical logic which Honda mastered over decades. With software, all it takes is a few bad devs and the whole thing goes south... This comes from a software developer of 22 years!
Are you saying that there 2022 Ody still has tech issues, not just the early models? I’m debating between 2022 odyssey and kia telluride. I know they are like comparing apples to oranges

·
Registered
25 Posts
Honestly, you are better off getting better mileage and capability from a diesel powered Suburban or Tahoe than holding out for a Honda Odyssey. They do not drive like big SUVs.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,764 Posts
Are you saying that there 2022 Ody still has tech issues, not just the early models? I’m debating between 2022 odyssey and kia telluride. I know they are like comparing apples to oranges
Yes, the new 2022 Odysseys still suffer from poor software. Better than the 2018s and 2019s, yes, but still a lot of complaints about the software on new ones.

I don't exactly trust Kia's tech, though. Or their new direct injected V6 engine.

• Wow
Reactions: tyman

·
Registered
2019 Elite, pearl white
63 Posts
Take a look at Pacifica (ICE) Their uconnect tech gets rave reviews as does interior accommodation

·
Registered
45 Posts
Kia Carnival and the 2021 Chrysler Pacifica are the minivans to beat, in my view. Lots of technology and better comfort. The one part I am not yet convinced of is which ones drives best for long trips.

I'm eyeing a Carnival myself, but nothing is set in stone.
We have a 2019 Odyssey Elite, and our daughter has a newer Pacifica. The middle and rear seats in the Pacifica feel cramped and not as comfortable compared to our Honda. The stow and go seating is the only plus I see, if you are hauling very large items. I have the Magic seats in the middle row, which I love. Removal is difficult, but I rarely need to remove them, so that wasn't a negative for me. My daughter has 4 kids, and they are fine with the seating arrangement in the Pacifica. It all comes down to preference to me

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tech wise, I feel Hyundai Palisade is miles ahead. They are not exactly direct competitors (SUV vs minivan), but if you're ok compromising on a bit if leg run in the 3rd row, you'll love the Palisade for what it offers in terms of tech, USB ports, software (their equivalent of Honda sense rocks, IMO). However with the chip shortage, there Palisade are hard to find and dealers are asking well over MSRP, otherwise it would be a no brainer for our family.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, the new 2022 Odysseys still suffer from poor software. Better than the 2018s and 2019s, yes, but still a lot of complaints about the software on new ones.

I don't exactly trust Kia's tech, though. Or their new direct injected V6 engine.
Thanks, we bought the 2022 Ody Elite with Platinum package, hopefully it will cover any software if we need repair.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts