Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace my lower control arms and outer tie rod ends on 2010 EXL.

Should I shoot some PBlaster penetrating oil on the LCA bolts ahead of time to make removal easier? I was just curious if then there is oil residue on the boss nut threads when I reinstall if that makes it more likely the bolts could loosen even when I torque them properly. Won't matter for the castle nuts as those parts will be new and thus no oil.

I'm probably overthinking but since I am going to use an impact wrench it might be able to free them without oil so if oil has negative effects I just wanted to check first

·
Registered
117 Posts
It can't hurt and will make it easier. Clean the threads before you're reinstall and your good to go.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you're worried about oil on the threads, spray them with brake clean before re installing

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I guess I'm not worried then. I just was curious if PBlaster affects the torquing later. I know I wouldn't put antiseize on those bolts but I guess the little bit of oil doesn't make a huge deal

·
Registered
566 Posts
I actually lightly grease my bolts be fore installation. The contact is between the bolt shoulder and the surface that prevents removal. Lightly lubed threads are OK.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Ok I guess I'm not worried then. I just was curious if PBlaster affects the torquing later. I know I wouldn't put antiseize on those bolts but I guess the little bit of oil doesn't make a huge deal
Antiseize (oil too) does affect torque settings, be easy on the torque wrench when tightening. I would put antiseize on the bolts since they are exposed and close to the ground.
Make sure the threads are clean!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts