Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have added the Pioneer TSA-1695 speakers to the front of my '02 SS EX and would now like to replace the stock rears.

I'm pretty pleased with the 1695's, but I'm not sure if they'll fit in the rear (due to depth) - particularly on the passenger side due to the heating equipment. Does anybody know if they'll fit and still alow use of the factory grills in the rear.

If not, will the 1665's fit?

Also, will the holes in these replacement speakers match the factory holes, or will I need to make a small bracket?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The 1665s fit; I put those in back myself. But that's the practical maximum mounting depth, given all the stuff in the passenger side. Anything deeper would simply push the speaker out.

Tip: when you put the speakers in, the mounting holes don't quite align. Don't worry; just use the factory screws and washers and screw them into the factory holes. Two holes will align, but one won't. Just use the factory screw with washer in that hole, and let the washer come down onto the edge of the speaker to hold it into place. The grille snaps right over that.

I'm not happy with the sound back there. I think it's the same issue that the old 4" speakers had in previous years--it needs baffles to put any bass to it all. Maybe one day I'll get to that, but let this be a warning. Have some baffles handy and see for yourself before you button everything up again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The mounting depth for the 1665's and the 1695's are both listed as 2.25", but I'm not sure if the diameter at the base of the magnet is different enough to make it hit the hardware behind the passenger-side speaker.

Worst case, if anybody isn't able to verify if this works, I can pull one of my front speakers out and give it a try in the back.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Sinbad has installed 1695s front and rear in his '02. Same issues with holes lining up that Adam mentioned, but they fit.

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX w/Stuff

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Yes, depth is no problem for the rear 1695's. The mounting lugs on the speakers for the rears are four each at 90 degrees apart, while the mounting bracket on the car has three holes at 120 degrees apart. You can use the existing screws to hold down the edge of the speaker, or drill holes in the speaker frame, or bend down the speaker frame to create two new lugs at 120 degrees from one existing lug. It is not that hard to do.

[This message has been edited by sinbad (edited 11-19-2001).]

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yes the 1695's fit no problem in my '02. Went in easier than the fronts. The others are right, I think 2 holes line up fine-the 3rd hole-the head of the screw will sit on the metal outer fram to provide sturdiness just fine. BTW-I tried baffles in the rear and they sounded horrible-much better with nothing at all. The rear panel acts like a bass enclosure just fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am just planning to put the 1695s in the front of my 2002, and based on this thread, my next project will be the rears.

If I don't want to cut the speaker wires, where can I get adapters to adapt the speakers to the wiring? Other threads have suggested Best Buy, but my Best Buy seems to have no such adapters, and I can't see anything on the web site either. I can try some local car stero stores, but what do I ask for?

George

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Best Buy has them, but don't go into the store proper. Instead go around back to the car stereo installation shop, which probably has a separate entrance. They have the adapters.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cymro:
but what do I ask for?

George
</font>
Metra Part # 72-7800

------------------
-SJ
(formerly known as shinjohn)
'01 DEP EX, looks stock, for now...