Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I looked in the manual- said there is a thin spare behind the 2nd row floor...
i removed the floor mats...and looked under the carpet...nothing. Am I looking for something that isn't there?

These factory tires don't look to be run flats.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I don't know about the tire placement, but I know there are no runflats on the 2011 Ody.

·
Registered
755 Posts
its right front of the middle seat in the second row. its like a

lazy susan in 05 models, but with the spare tire inside of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe it is a doughnut spare (fake spare), and that it's "under the floor". I'm not sure whether it's first row or second row.

I've read in a report that it was under the first (front) row of seats floor. But, that didn't make sense to me as earlier versions put it under the floor in front of the second row of seats.

Cheers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yep

it's right in front of the middle seat of the 2nd row.

tried getting access to it and it's a pain in the ass.

you have to get under the mats and pry up the carpet.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hopefully you won't need it much....I was hoping to go 100k without using mine and the tire went at 98,500. :(

·
Registered
755 Posts
haha trust me. just like terrytcl have said above, its a pain

in the ass to get it out and get it back in. Ive had a flat about

a month ago, after a month of purchase LOL

·
Registered
316 Posts
In a few threads people mentioned it was hard to get to the compact spare (why would you call it a "fake" spare deuxdoos? compact spare tires have been the standard for a couple decades now) in the '11 Ody. So, since I wanted to check the pressure in the spare, I thought I'd check it out. It took less than 60 seconds to get the tire out! What are you guys doing wrong? The only thing I can think of that would make getting the tire out is you guys are trying to do it with the wood panel still in place. For anyone needing to change a flat...

1) Pull the top carpet out. You don't need to do so to take the spare out, but it'll make it easier to put the spare back in.

2) Grab the black tab that shows a picture of the spare and pull it up and towards the front.

3) Unlatch the wooden panel and pull the panel out.

4) Pull out the rubberized/styrofoam insert that holds the jack/tools.

5) Unscrew the hold down bolt.

6) Pull the tire out.

Seriously, took less than 60 seconds to do all the above, with the exception of step 1. Add maybe 5 seconds to do step 1, since you'd have to turn the locking clips to remove the carpet.

The spare was only at 50 psi, so I pumped it up to the recommended 60 psi.

Replacing the spare was a pain while trying to hold up two layers of carpet. After about a minute of trying to maneuver the tire while holding up the carpets, I decided to remove the top carpet. Then, the hardest part was turning the spare in the storage well to align the lug bolt hole with the hold down bolt hole. After that, it was a cinch. Took less than 180 seconds total.

And to answer another question that was brought up in other threads, there is a bag located in the jack/tools tray in which to put your dirty flat tire in so you can throw it into the back of the van without soiling the carpet or your other items. Plus, there's a hold down bolt for the rear of the van so you can secure your flat tire so it doesn't scoot around while you're driving.

So, the key to do this job: #1, remove the top carpet. #2, remove the wood panel. Your life will be so much easier...

·
Banned
728 Posts
Removing it might be a pain in the ass, but compared to winching down a rusty assembly holding the tire underneath the van I'm sure it is an improvement. We were at the lake and had a flat on a Dodge Caravan and in the end, we couldn't get the spare tire carrier to drop down from the van. I ended up having to jack up the van, remove the blown tire, drive to a town 1/2 hour away in a friend's car, buy a new tire, get it mounted, drive back and install it. I can count the number of flats I've gotten over the years on one hand, but they are never at a convenient time or place. They could mount it in the rear, but then I'd get a flat in a heavy downpour on the way to the lake and would have to dump the rear of the van on the road to get to it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I prefer the smaller spare tire. So much easier to work with.... it's not like I'm going off-roading to the repair shop. Why do folks want a full spare? (Notice I typed WANT, because it certainly isn't NEEDED) :tongue:

I also HATED the full spare underneath. Difficult to get the stupid winch to work, lots of dirt and rust, etc. Thanks Honda for the smaller spare tire! :)

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
A full size spare is definitely a "want". We tow a boat, so I've got a full-size spare in each Ody, since the compact spare is a little anemic when you've got a couple thousands pounds in tow. Can still pack luggage all in back for a family of six on a week-long outing, though I'll have to dump some of that aft stowed cargo to get to the spare.

As said by others, the floor-stowed spare is up to task; I've had to use it, and it was not too difficult to remove.

I've had to use a winch-down spare (another Dodge product); I kept the mechanism and cable clean and oiled, and it still didn't reliably work when I once needed it.

OF

·
Registered
12 Posts
Would a full size spare tire fit into the 2012 touring, as i would need it for towing in the summer. Thanks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Does the touring store the spare in the same location, under the floorboard of the 2nd row? If so, then no. That space *just* fits the compact spare. No room for much else.

It sucks, but you can always throw the full-sized spare into the rear cargo area. Or, into whatever you're towing. If you look where the compact spare is stored, there's a plastic bag intended to cover your flat tire, so it doesn't dirty up the interior of your van. It could also be used to store your full-sized spare, for the same reasons, if you intend to carry it someplace you don't want to get dirty.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Agree with Shazzam...pulling the spare out from inside is so much easier than crawling under the van and hoping the screws aren't rusted to the bolt when you need to access the spare...these things never happen on sunny 80 degree days...always on a snowy, muddy road when it's 25 degrees and windy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts