Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 2002 for my Mom that's in really nice shape that's got 115k on it. I can't tell if it's the original transmission or not, but just looking at it the trans housing looks just as aged as the engine block. I took it for a test drive and it seemed to shift fine and the oil didn't smell burnt.

With the history of these vans, I know full well that she may need to have the trans replaced at some point, but the price on the van is pretty good so if she has to put $3k in it at some point, it won't be the end of the world.

My main concern is if it will give any warning. I myself have a 2000 and had to have the original transmission replaced somewhere around 135k--but it gave the first warning signs loooong before I had to have it replaced. And even then it never stranded me, it just got progressively worse. But I think I read some posts where the 5-speed was running just peachy and then died all of a sudden. That'd be bad if it'd happen while they were on a trip.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
447 Posts
You could easily get yourself in trouble and your mother stranded (or worse) with this one. I wouldn't recommend ANY car with 115K to ANYbody other than a mechanic, let alone someone you know and love. Too much to go wrong. It's obvious they design cars with a 100K mile life, and that Ody is no exception.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For my family, buying a vehicle w/ over 115k on it is typical so they know what comes with the territory. Realize too that my parents are not really old...maybe you were visualizing some 80+ yr olds :D

If this 2002 is no more likely to strand them than any other 10 yr old vehicle w/ 115k then I'm fine with that.

I'm primarily concerned if the transmission would just up and die without any advance warning. Personally I've never experienced a transmission die like that -- and I've driven a couple cars with failing transmissions. They have always started "acting up" and none of them have ever stranded me.

·
Registered
314 Posts
When ours went at about 50k miles, it did give some warnings. My wife said she noticed weird noises but I was never able to replicate it. Then it started making a horrible grinding sound as soon as it was put in gear. It was still driveable, but sounded horrible. Had it towed to the dealership and they said they'd order a new transmission and we could drive it around while we waited. We didn't need the car so we left it at the dealership but they seemed to think it was ok to send a customer home with the car like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts