Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After finally talking directly to the GM of the local Honda dealer face--to-face we worked out a deal to finally get my car. We originally ordered a RRP EX-L NAVI on July 7th and paid a $500 deposit. Basically nothing has happened now for 4 months. I started calling them a lot and the salesman finally admitted that they have a very small allotment and my car still hadn't been ordered. To make a long story shorter, I can now get a silver NAVI (my 2nd choice color) in mid-Dec.

After a lot of discussion and me throwing out that I would rate them highly if they give me deal- they agreed to sell me the car for MSRP + 440 destination + accessories that I wanted at their cost supposedly (+10% for installation).

Is this a good deal? --> iVES, cargo tray, splashguards, air deflector, roof rack cross bars and towing package for $2900 (which includes installation). I did get the general manager to put it in writing too.

Just wondering if this really is a good deal or not? I know the accessories are cheaper at H and A, but then you have to factor in shipping and I don't know how much the installation would be if I brought the accessories in and asked the dealer to install it all for me. Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Kris,

The towing package ($429.60) the cargo tray ($63.80), splashguards ($55.80), air deflector (122.36), roof rack cross bars ($115.20) only come to about $790, plus shipping, from H and A. I would think that the dealer's cost is less than the H and A prices. Also, I would think that all of those items could be installed in about an hour for a trained professional (say $100 for installation). Therefore, It seems like they are charging about $2000 for the iVES part of the deal. H and A has it for $1349, or $1738.80 including the subwoofer and in-dash changer. If the dealer is only providing the standard iVES, they are including about $600 for installation, which seems a little high. However, if they are providing the equivalent of the $1738.80 package, then it probably seems fair. You might want to search some of the older discussions to see if anyone has had the iVES installed and what the price was. Also, IIRC, there were some detailed instructions on the installation of the iVES for a DIYer. I also remember seeing a discussion on the addition of the transmission cooler, which might help you decide if you want to take on that job. I think that Jim F started the discussion.

Just my opinion, anal as it might be, is that there is room for negotiation if the dealer is providing the standard iVES system.

Good Luck,

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
7 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kris:
After finally talking directly to the GM of the local Honda dealer face--to-face we worked out a deal to finally get my car. We originally ordered a RRP EX-L NAVI on July 7th and paid a $500 deposit. Basically nothing has happened now for 4 months. I started calling them a lot and the salesman finally admitted that they have a very small allotment and my car still hadn't been ordered. To make a long story shorter, I can now get a silver NAVI (my 2nd choice color) in mid-Dec.

After a lot of discussion and me throwing out that I would rate them highly if they give me deal- they agreed to sell me the car for MSRP + 440 destination + accessories that I wanted at their cost supposedly (+10% for installation).

Is this a good deal? --> iVES, cargo tray, splashguards, air deflector, roof rack cross bars and towing package for $2900 (which includes installation). I did get the general manager to put it in writing too.

Just wondering if this really is a good deal or not? I know the accessories are cheaper at H and A, but then you have to factor in shipping and I don't know how much the installation would be if I brought the accessories in and asked the dealer to install it all for me. Thanks for any input!
</font>
The cost of parts your dealer is talking about is more than likely what he has to pay from the parts dept. Even though they are part of the same dealership. The sales dept has to pay markup on any parts they sell to their new car customers. Somebody has to make money on the deal. Did you know that some dealers pay 10 grand+ plus for lights a month and 20+ on advertising. Let them make a fair profit. Good luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ODYWOOD:
Let them make a fair profit. Good luck [/B]</font>
Lemesee, by that logic a "FAIR" profit would be what they typically make on the sale of other new models i.e. in the 2-3% over invoice range. They are already making an obscene profit on the MSRP sale of the van. To get and keep you as a loyal customer they really ought to try a lot harder.

I personally would have gotten my choice of several accessories for free and the rest at their cost - with proof of their cost in the form of an invoice from Honda to the parts department. While the sales department has to pay a markup to the parts department, its all bookeeping and the profit all winds up in the hands of the owner, so screw the idea of paying a markup over the dealership's true cost. Its unconscionable that a dealer would keep you on the hook for nearly 4 months and then still try to screw you. The only reason they think they can get away with it is because these are high-demand vehicles which still demand MSRP prices on every unit they can get their hands on. Well, I will never buy a Honda from one dealership (Honda Village, now Lia Honda, Williamsville, New York) which wanted a deposit just to give me a lease price on the van! Another dealership in town wanted to charge MSRP + $2k for Canadian market models! I paid MSRP and got my van in less than 2 weeks from the third dealer I called.

Remember, until the van is delivered you have the option to walk away. I'd see what other dealers in your area can do for you, or even outside the area for that matter. It's a big country and shipping a new van isn't rocket science or even very expensive. I'd also consider talking to the Zone Rep where you are to see if you can get the exact color you want and what else he/she would be willing to do to keep you as a happy customer. Another thing to keep in mind is that they very probably are screwing someone else over to get you the van
they've promised to you - if they get a small allocation they're probably all presold.

You asked...

Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts