Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It waits there, hidden. It laughs at your unsuspecting innocence, and mocks your pitiful one sixteenth of an inch defense.

Grab that thing by the scruff of its neck and show it who’s boss. More info here:

http://www.humanmadeindex.com/HI1/How_To_Do_Maintenance_on_the_Honda_Odyssey.html, click on "Constant-velocity boot" in the Common Repairs section.

For indexing purposes: CV leak joint driveshaft axle

·
Registered
3,115 Posts

RE CV joint Rubber Boots info that you posted.

How many miles in your van?

I check my CV joint Rubber Boots @ every engine oil change, so far so good.

Another hint is the grease thrown around the area: that is a hint that the CV joint Rubber Boot is torn.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cnn said:

RE CV joint Rubber Boots info that you posted.

How many miles in your van?

I check my CV joint Rubber Boots @ every engine oil change, so far so good.

Another hint is the grease thrown around the area: that is a hint that the CV CV joint Rubber Boots. is torn.
cnn! I hope your holidays went well (ever tried putting together one of those Lego building sets? The one I did for my son came with a 90 step booklet! Made that brake service I did a while back seem like a walk in the park...)

I actually noticed the boot leak while servicing the front brakes, the van having just over 60K miles on it at the time.

There was grease all around the area, even some caked on the inside of the wheel. Upon inspection I noticed 3 hairline cuts in the boot maybe 1-2 inches in length.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
the same thing happened to my 1998 Volvo V70 2 years ago. Luckily I caught it early on with no damage to the CV joint itself. Changed the CV rubber boot and all is good.

For any FWD car, once the axle is out of the car, replacing the Rubber Boot is not that hard as people say in different forums. It is just a greasy job, wear rubber gloves and all will be fine. This is one part that I always use OEM and Oetiker clamps.

My Ody CV rubber boot is still OK for now LOL.

The key thing is early detection to avoid CV joint damage. The problem is: if road debris hit the rubber boot, we would not know about it (out of sight area) until the next oil change.

Therefore, if one thinks he/she hits some road debris on the highway, at the next opportunity, turn the Front wheel all the way R and all the way L to inspect the boot area with a flashlight. This will turn a $900 repair into a $50 parts cost per axle; or $100 for both axles.

For those interested in detail:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

44017-SHJ-C01 BOOT SET, INBOARD; qty = 2 per car, $29/each

44018-SHJ-C02 BOOT SET, OUTBOARD; qty = 2 per car, $21/each

1 - 4 of 4 Posts