Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed after driving my Ody for a couple of months that the armrest for the driver is just a little below where it should be do be comfortable. I have to practically slouch in the van to actually have it function as an "arm-rest".

Do others out there have a similar complaint? Are there simple solutions to this?

------------------
2002 Odyssey GG EXL Splash Guards, Wheel Locks, Air Deflector, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats, Cross-Bars

·
Registered
329 Posts
That is my biggest complaint about the Ody (which isn't really too bad!).

I find that the armrest is too close and low. Having driven sports cars or sedans that had a console armrest all my life, the Ody isn't quite as comfortable. I can live with it though as my wife is the primary drive of the van, and she's much smaller than my 6'2" frame.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I found the the armrest does move with the seat back. May be we have to drive the van in a lay back position in order to make the armrest in an upper position.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My only problem with the armrest (singular) is that it is singular. I don't like the lack of an armrest on the outer side of the seat. That molded in shelf on the door doesn't count. Too hard, wrong position. The inner armrest is fine for my 6'2" self.

However, I do like the adjustable lumbar support. More than makes up for the lacking armrest.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The armrest is nicely fitted for our use, but I sure wish there was one on the outsides of the seat as well!!
John

·
Registered
20 Posts
- and how about a foot-stool and a blanket too. C'mon guys, it's a car not a recliner. I think the seat is sometimes TOO comfortable, with the many positions of the power adjust seat (not to mention seat-heater) and steering wheel audio controls, and cruise control, etc. I can get sleepy as it is on long trips with all that, nevermind extra comfy armrests. I was happy with the armrest, coming from never having had one in a previous vehicle. BTW, the lumbar lever on the right side: I basically leave in lumbar support mode, and can't see why I'd want it the other way. Any back experts out there or longer users of this to differ with me?

-----
Jason
'02 Odyssey SS EX
'99 CR-V EX

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by overmyheadcam:
My only problem with the armrest (singular) is that it is singular. I don't like the lack of an armrest on the outer side of the seat. That molded in shelf on the door doesn't count. Too hard, wrong position. The inner armrest is fine for my 6'2" self.

</font>
I agree wholeheartedly.

I was discussing this problem with someone the other day and they dropped the idea of getting hold of a seat back from one of the middle seats and trying to make it fit in the drivers position. I'm talking about swapping the backs only. I don't know if that's possible. The middle seats are a little wider if I'm not mistaken but it'an idea. Just looking at it, I think it would be a bit tight between the seat back and the body pillar between the front and sliding door.

Just a thought.

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I suspect part of the reason we don't have an armrest on the left is the side air bags. You'll lose those obviously if you switch seats.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Intrepid175:
I agree wholeheartedly.

I was discussing this problem with someone the other day and they dropped the idea of getting hold of a seat back from one of the middle seats and trying to make it fit in the drivers position. I'm talking about swapping the backs only. I don't know if that's possible. The middle seats are a little wider if I'm not mistaken but it'an idea. Just looking at it, I think it would be a bit tight between the seat back and the body pillar between the front and sliding door.

Just a thought.

</font>

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm with Overmyheadcam and 2002EXL, the armrests in the doorpanels of the front 2 doors are too low. They need to be an 1 to 1.5 inches higher.

Bob

·
Registered
254 Posts
the armrests on the doorpanels leave a lot to be desired.

------------------
2000 lx fern grey with mods

·
Registered
39 Posts
Right! The door panels are too far forward and rock hard, especially with the cloth interior. What were they thinking? With the leather interior there is just enough 'give' to make a noticable difference. We had aftermarket installed (Classic Soft Trim) and would highly recommend it!

·
Registered
73 Posts
The only problem I have with the arm rests is that when they are down it is inconvenient to buckle the seat belt. I use the Ody mostly around town, so I wind up leeaving the arm rests up all the time. I imagine I would use them more on long trips.

·
Registered
596 Posts
If you want to see how the armrests should be, at least for my frame, take a seat in the Kia Sedona. They got it right. Of course, some of it has to do with the narrower body and the seat being closer to the door, as it was in my '94 Caravan, which also got it right.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
596 Posts
The Astro used to have two armrests for the front seat occupants, but, I think, even in those, they are a thing of the past. Too bad, although, as a driver, I prefer to have plenty of elbow room, in case of the need to steer quickly, and never use even the one I have.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mhellman:
I suspect part of the reason we don't have an armrest on the left is the side air bags. You'll lose those obviously if you switch seats.

</font>

Good point, except that my '01 LX doesn't have side air bags so I've got nothing to loose on that count.

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
O.K, guys, who is going to give us the mod for installing a RECARO, with cut-outs for a five point harness?

------------------
2002 TW EX; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels.
2000 Honda CBR 929 RR

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wish the armrest could lock into a position of the driver's choice. I'm 5'8", and it is not in the right position for me either. Just like cmmeyers, I am used to a console armrest and find the Ody's too close for comfort.

------------------
2002 GG EX-L RES
1996 BMW 328i Manual Sport Pack w/goodies

·
Registered
861 Posts
not sure what you guys are reffering to...I've had my Ody going on 2 years now, and have NEVER noticed anything wrong with the armrest placement/size!! and I'm on picky SOB!

------------------
Owner:
1991 Civic Si, Intercooled turbo DOHC ZC visit @: <A HREF="http://turbocivic.8m.com
2000" TARGET=_blank>http://turbocivic.8m.com
2000</A> Odyssey LX, working on lots of mods visit @: <A HREF="http://trickedodyssey.8m.com
1991" TARGET=_blank>http://trickedodyssey.8m.com
1991</A> Civic Hatch (basemodel) winter car, bolt on mods. visit @: http:/trickedodyssey.8m.com/91civicbase.html

Any questions related to honda and your ODY? just email me! [email protected]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts