Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the USB, especially during the hot summer?
It is plugged in the glove compartment since I got my new Ody last month.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
13,838 Posts
Moved to audio/video forum. For future, please post in correct forums to prevent a lock on your thread.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
13,838 Posts
No problem.

Now. To answer your question. I am not sure what the 100+ temps in a hot car will do to your iPod as I do not own any ixxxx devices but I have left radar detectors and GPSes without issues so I am thinking it would be fine.

That said, pay attention to a couple of threads I remember reading where people said if you keep your iPod plugged in, any time you open a door, the audio system boots up and updates your music library so that you get instant access to your music so if you open and close your doors quite frequently without driving off, you might want to keep the iPod disconnected to conserve battery so that you don't see that dereaded Low Battery issues that is a major issue for 2011s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not sure something small as an iPod can drain the car's battery but I may be wrong.
I wa more concerned about the possibility an iPod connected to the usb may catch on fire.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
13,838 Posts
I am not sure something small as an iPod can drain the car's battery but I may be wrong.
Just the iPod won't drain the battery but if the entire audio system boots up to refresh your music catalog from the iPod, with the punny Honda battery, you might run into issues. That's what the folks were discussing.

I wa more concerned about the possibility an iPod connected to the usb may catch on fire.
I doubt that your iPod will catch on fire. You should be alright.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks
I never saw my audio system boot up when the engine is off, do you have a link to that topic?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
13,838 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
All the stories I have heard about a car fire were when a cigarette lighter adapter was used. It was left unattended to charge overnight and overheated causeing the fire. I believe they are isolated incidents and odds say you should be fine.

With your battery, a small drain over enough time can make your battery go dead. Car batteries are made to put out a high current for short duration to start the car, not put out a small current for a long duration. So I would let it stay connected and if you ever get a low battery light after the van is sitting for a few days. You may have to disconnect the ipod when the van will not be used for several days. If you drive every day I doubt it would be a problem.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top