Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an opportunity to upgrade to a 4th gen EX-L from my current 2006 EX-L at a reasonable price.

Is there anything that the 3rd generation does better than the 4th gen? That is, any reasons I should not proceed with the switch?

Why I'm considering the change from 3rdG to 4thG:
1) I find the headlights on my 3rd gen particularly weak, even after a lens restoration and upgrade to 9011/9012 bulbs.
2) The entertainment and nav systems are obsolete to the point of being unusable and thus deadweight on the vehicle
3) Most importantly, the brakes are a joke. I've considered swapping for Pilot calipers and rotors, but that's a considerable expenditure of time and money.

I found one thread from 2011 searching:
odyclub.com/threads/can-someone-give-a-real-world-review-of-3rd-gen-vs-4th-gen.142804/

·
Registered
73 Posts
Back seat is real leather on 2006 (I think), probably vinyl on 4th gen.

Plus one seat can stow under floor in 06, not in later 3rd gen and I assume in 4th.

Parts might be cheaper for 3rd gen..?

That's all I have

·
Registered
399 Posts
Beside the shape I believe mechanicaly should be about the same.. something new here and there, but if yours is working fine and maintenance done to the book. Ill keep it. If you have a lot of mechanical issues that's another thing.

1. 4gen has projector light so in my opinion light should be better.
2.with the gen 3 you can add some stuff such as Chromecast, raspberry pi and some other stuff cheap with a few adapters. It may not be HD but hey at least something else more than a dvd is playing on it. Beside most of the time my kids are watching their tablets...
3. Can't comment on the brakes , due to Florida flatness lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am not sure that the 4th gen RES is that much more advanced than the 3rd gen...

We have a 2010 and the DVD player is fine by me, but the nav system is indeed hopelessly out of date. Also, not a fan of the brakes - from what I'm reading, the 4th gen is a pretty solid upgrade overall...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts