Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
That's an interesting link you provided. I'm on my second 2011 Ody. My first I sold when it had 12,000 miles on it and I had had to have the rotors resurfaced (which I didn't want to do... and have NEVER had to do on a car previously) at around 11,000 miles. I have been waiting to see if my new Ody needs this done as well and I plan to go in early for it. I'll be looking for more info b/c I don't want to start paying for rotors if they are putting crummy quality ones on a heavy car.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I don't have 12K miles on my Odyssey but I had my other car resurface the rotors at a very early stage (for free by the dealer under warranty). As per the dealer: they don't need to be replaced unless they are in a very bad shape.

While it can be a defective rotor, few factors are in play so it would be just a matter of luck. In my case it was an extreme temp change (rain after hours of driving) what warped them, I could feel the difference immediately. I now own a more recent year of the same car model and has no issues (so far)...

BTW, Could somebody explain the 12K mile warranty for rotors? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
BTW, Could somebody explain the 12K mile warranty for rotors? Thanks
Not sure what type of explanation you're looking for but the brakes are considered wear and tear and are warrantied for only 12K miles or 12 months which ever comes first. Any brake issues (including just squealing) outside of that are chargeable so resurfacing rotors would also cost you outside the 12K so the dealers say.

I don't resurface rotors now. I just get new ones and plan to do the same when my 2007 needs brake work. I will get better quality aftermarket ones (not decided the brand yet). I have 30K on my Ody. I do my own brakes so I just have to pay for the rotors and pads but its still much less out of pocket than folks who get their work done at dealers/mechanics.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Not sure what type of explanation you're looking for but the brakes are considered wear and tear and are warrantied for only 12K miles or 12 months which ever comes first. Any brake issues (including just squealing) outside of that are chargeable so resurfacing rotors would also cost you outside the 12K so the dealers say.
That is what I was looking for, thanks. My other car (Mazda) had them resurfaced at around 20k, the dealer honored the 4yr 48k warranty on those, possibly just to keep the business healthy. Yes, as per brake pads, forget it...

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
That is what I was looking for, thanks. My other car (Mazda) had them resurfaced at around 20k, the dealer honored the 4yr 48k warranty on those, possibly just to keep the business healthy. Yes, as per brake pads, forget it...
Honda used to goodwill a lot in the olden day. They've shifted their focus away from customer service in recent days. As to warping, if the driver is used to riding the brakes, they could chew out the pads and rotors pretty quick so I am not sure if the 12K cut off is justified or not but it surely is unfair for most good drivers as only a handful ride their brakes.

I personally haven't seen anything in writing but I have heard the SAs at stealerships say that and also read on here about other's woes with premature brake wear so I was just trying re-iterate that so may be the dealers might have leeway on brakes till the 3/36 bumper to bumper.

·
Registered
117 Posts
We sold our 06' with 150K miles with the original rotors still in place. The dealer installed new pads front and rear at 125K miles and said the rotors were still in spec. Not sure why the 2011 factory rotors would be any different.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Honda used to goodwill a lot in the olden day. They've shifted their focus away from customer service in recent days. As to warping, if the driver is used to riding the brakes, they could chew out the pads and rotors pretty quick so I am not sure if the 12K cut off is justified or not but it surely is unfair for most good drivers as only a handful ride their brakes.

I personally haven't seen anything in writing but I have heard the SAs at stealerships say that and also read on here about other's woes with premature brake wear so I was just trying re-iterate that so may be the dealers might have leeway on brakes till the 3/36 bumper to bumper.
It interesting that mine were warped so early on my first 2011 ody... I live in an area with some small hills but drive most of my day in D4. I never ride my brakes down a hill and pump and release them when coming to a long stop. I don't know what else I can do to prevent this new set from warping and I sure don't want to pay for new ones each 12K miles.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It interesting that mine were warped so early on my first 2011 ody... I live in an area with some small hills but drive most of my day in D4. I never ride my brakes down a hill and pump and release them when coming to a long stop. I don't know what else I can do to prevent this new set from warping and I sure don't want to pay for new ones each 12K miles.
I'd rather put the wear on my brake pads then my automatic transmission (downshifting D4 etc) Remember, brakes are far cheaper to replace then transmission repairs..

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'd rather put the wear on my brake pads then my automatic transmission (downshifting D4 etc) Remember, brakes are far cheaper to replace then transmission repairs..
Most of the time I start off in D4. I also have Honda Care for the time I'll own the car. Replacing rotors every 12k will get pricey just like a tranny... Which is more likely to be covered under warranty. Plus, if my tranny can't handle going 45 in 4th gear... Then that right there is an issue. I'd hope if can handle some downshifting too. Coming out of driving Benzes maybe I'm too spirited of a driver for a Honda... But I downshifted all the time on fun curvy roads.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Benzes as in Mercedes Benz? Spirited ride cars? Oh man, the Odyssey should be reeeeally bad then... ;)
I just think a few 5th to 4th downshifts a day shouldn't break a car:). Isn't that what a tranny is supposed to do?

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
I just think a few 5th to 4th downshifts a day shouldn't break a car:). Isn't that what a tranny is supposed to do?
That makes way too much sense. You do know that common sense is not so common anymore so whether the tranny is supposed to do that or not is common sense that's not common any more. :D

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I'd say yes but Honda's recent history of crappy auto trannies tells us otherwise ;)

That makes way too much sense. You do know that common sense is not so common anymore so whether the tranny is supposed to do that or not is common sense that's not common any more. :D
Betty Botter bought a bit of butter. The butter Betty Botter bought was a bit bitter and made her batter bitter? :p

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'd say yes but Honda's recent history of crappy auto trannies tells us otherwise ;)
I guess that combining the fact that I have Honda Care... and I'm just using the tranny and a tranny... I'm going to just risk it. If I were asking the tranny to vacuum my floors then I'd be more worried.. but a downshift without my foot on the gas... basically taking the car out of overdrive... I'll risk it.

If my tranny goes out at an unreasonable age... I will be all over Honda to replace it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Our front rotors are warped, and I am going to push for the dealer to replace them, not resurface them. If they resurface them, then I will have to pay for new rotors next time around because they will be too thin. Our 2011 EX is only about 9 months old and under 10,000 miles. I guess I'd better put hidden markings on my rotors so I will know whether they put on new ones or not. I'll report back.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Our front rotors are warped, and I am going to push for the dealer to replace them, not resurface them. If they resurface them, then I will have to pay for new rotors next time around because they will be too thin. Our 2011 EX is only about 9 months old and under 10,000 miles. I guess I'd better put hidden markings on my rotors so I will know whether they put on new ones or not. I'll report back.
oh boy.. so its true then...

·
Registered
463 Posts
banswee, what is your point?

·
Super Moderator
1,219 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Benzes as in Mercedes Benz? Spirited ride cars? Oh man, the Odyssey should be reeeeally bad then... ;)
At least my benzes had paddle shifters which basically beg for the driver to pick their own gear.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts