Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlight assemblies are very yellowed and I have been looking around for aftermarket assemblies to replace them. Does anyone have any recommendations for where to buy and a ball park idea of what I should be paying..........appreciate any input on this!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I read up on this last year by searching various car forums. Seems like the consensus was that aftermarket yellows more quickly than OEM. Some people swear by fixing their current ones with a kit or other sandpaper or abrasives. Key is to repaint with clear or the other option is you will apply wax or UV Protestant every few months otherwise they will yellow again and more quickly.

Getting rid of the yellow on my 2010 is on my to do list but I haven't done it yet. If you find something interesting re: aftermarkets let me know as I am still open to either option. I don't want to pay for OEM not when I can get rid of the yellow with the wet sandpaper I bought.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
My headlight assemblies are very yellowed and I have been looking around for aftermarket assemblies to replace them. Does anyone have any recommendations for where to buy and a ball park idea of what I should be paying..........appreciate any input on this!
Aftermarket headlights are a hit or miss. Some of them the beam pattern is not good.
Highly recommend restoring your OEM headlights. Have a good detailer do it to get really good results, you’ll be surprised once it’s done.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Remember, when you repair the headlights, they don't have to be perfect, but the most important thing is a good UV coating after. Also, if you buy used headlights, they may be cloudy ones that had the lenses cleaned.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I did this and they came out really good. If yours are OEM. Ill get some sand paper with soapy water and get to work. If you don't feel like putting the film, at least after doing the treatment keep them waxed and you should be good for a few months. So far mine are still looking great.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I did this and they came out really good. If yours are OEM. Ill get some sand paper with soapy water and get to work. If you don't feel like putting the film, at least after doing the treatment keep them waxed and you should be good for a few months. So far mine are still looking great.

Thanks I will check out the film. Why is the film chosen vs spraying them with clear paint? Paint also has UV coating I believe

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks I will check out the film. Why is the film chosen vs spraying them with clear paint? Paint also has UV coating I believe
In my opinion, UV spray need more preparation and later on if it start to fail to take it off is quite a work. On the other hand film is more forgiven, if it start to fail you just pull it off clean the area and apply a new film.

·
Registered
432 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
I replace one on my '07. Got it off of Rock Auto and I think it was about $80. I see they are $75 to more than $105 on there. Good quality and not too much issue getting it in. If you have time and feel comfortable, then the refinish and a good clear coat will save you a lot of $.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I recommend you get genuine Honda headlights. They are only about $200 each. Aftermarket typically do not last or perform very well. Polishing and sealing works great if you are willing to do it every 6-12 months.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I recommend you get genuine Honda headlights. They are only about $200 each. Aftermarket typically do not last or perform very well. Polishing and sealing works great if you are willing to do it every 6-12 months.
OEM + Film on it will last forever, or until someone texting goes and rear ended you and the van gets totaled. Ill be "Hey Geico I'm keeping my headlights" take the rest.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
This video explains:
Thanks I will check it out how long does the film last?

Any tips for my fugly alloy wheels? I was thinking of taking a flap disc or something to the areas where the aluminum is corroding and looking gross and then maybe spraying a clear over it. Doesn't need to be perfect but they are starting to look nasty.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
If you were just sitting and never moving the UV spray would be as good as the film. As it is, there is a 60 mph gale hitting the headlights when you drive, and wearing off the spray you put on. The film is much thicker and won't wear off, at least in your lifetime!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If you were just sitting and never moving the UV spray would be as good as the film. As it is, there is a 60 mph gale hitting the headlights when you drive, and wearing off the spray you put on. The film is much thicker and won't wear off, at least in your lifetime!
60mph? Speak for yourself Grannie! Haha

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Thanks I will check it out how long does the film last?

Any tips for my fugly alloy wheels? I was thinking of taking a flap disc or something to the areas where the aluminum is corroding and looking gross and then maybe spraying a clear over it. Doesn't need to be perfect but they are starting to look nasty.
Good quality films like XPEL last 4-5+ years.

TBH, best thing to do for the rims is either have them powdercoated or buy new rims. Look for a clean used set locally, I find em here locally for 100-200 bucks all four rims.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Good quality films like XPEL last 4-5+ years.

TBH, best thing to do for the rims is either have them powdercoated or buy new rims. Look for a clean used set locally, I find em here locally for 100-200 bucks all four rims.
Cool ok

I see on RockAuto I can get new Dorman for low 100s per wheel.

I don't think Odysseys still have 16 inch wheels so not sure what I can find with those same wheel measurements as my 2010 that will be newer and in better condition in terms of used wheels

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Cool ok

I see on RockAuto I can get new Dorman for low 100s per wheel.

I don't think Odysseys still have 16 inch wheels so not sure what I can find with those same wheel measurements as my 2010 that will be newer and in better condition in terms of used wheels
Avoid reman rims (especially dorman lol)
Any acura honda wheel with 5x120 bolt pattern with the right offset will fit. Ex: 2007-2009 MDX rims are direct bolt ons. They look very nice on a 3rd gen.

·
Registered
316 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts