Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got my 06 headlights restored once and it looked good for about a year, I ordered aftermarket Led bulbs and even with my headlight lense completely hazed the light is strong and I think if my lenses were completely clear they would be even brighter. It’s so bright people assume my high. Beams are on. I ordered them from Amazon the company is called Sealight and plugs in easy to your regular build assembly. Now I’m not even thinking of replacing my lenses.

·
Registered
11 Posts
On my 2005 Odyssey, I had honda restore the lenses and it was good for a year and then looked BAD.

Got headlights on Amazon and they look fantastic 1.5 years later.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks I will check it out how long does the film last?

Any tips for my fugly alloy wheels? I was thinking of taking a flap disc or something to the areas where the aluminum is corroding and looking gross and then maybe spraying a clear over it. Doesn't need to be perfect but they are starting to look nasty.
disc will ruin them. blast and clear coat or just chemical strip and clear them.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I too have done the headlight polishing routine many times for many years. Yes, they will look brand new for several months. But because the UV coating is removed they will haze again within a year. I grew weary of doing this every year. So then I tried a laminate film and that did a great job for several years protecting the headlights. But eventually that too started to haze and I ended up buying new headlights and I’m very happy with that decision and investment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My headlight assemblies are very yellowed and I have been looking around for aftermarket assemblies to replace them. Does anyone have any recommendations for where to buy and a ball park idea of what I should be paying..........appreciate any input on this!
Replaced both headlights with aftermarket pair from AM Autoparts (Part Number: AM-55843344) on 2007 for $132 just 2 months ago. Not sure if 2008 are identical. Too soon to tell how well they'll hold up but very pleased with them so far. You Tube has several videos on replacing--pretty easy job of about 2 hours +/-.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Reading the thread it isn't clear to me if anyone had experience refinishing then applying film like xPel. I refinished my 99 Honda's, got great results but it may last a year at best. I ended up purchasing "OEM quality" from Rock Auto and was extremely happy with them.

One thing to consider if you were to attempt to refinish is whether the reflector has begun to tarnish/degrade. If that is going you will get a better result replacing the headlights.

Finally, the film are absolutely mandatory for new headlights if you are keeping the car. I put xPel on a 2001 BMW 325 with Xenon's. A corner came up and I replaced it in 2016. The headlights looked just like the day I took delivery. That car had about 140K on it and spent around 4 years in Miami.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My headlight assemblies are very yellowed and I have been looking around for aftermarket assemblies to replace them. Does anyone have any recommendations for where to buy and a ball park idea of what I should be paying..........appreciate any input on this!
instead of replacing the headlight(s), you can also restore its luster. check youtube for DIY lense restoration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have 06 & headlights were so yellow it made the entire van look like a beater. been 6 months & i still feel good about it again. Meguiar's G2970 Two Step Headlight Restore 2Step, 4. Fluid_Ounces from amazon solved the issue

·
Registered
145 Posts
Fix them it's quick and easy and they are original and will stay lined up perfectly as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I already bought some wetsand paper so will prob try that first

The thing I am confused about is when do they clear up in the process? I know they haze with the sandpaper and then if you painted them they would clear up,but without that paint step then how do they un-haze before you put film over it?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Once you get them hazed or have removed the failing protective layer, you use plasti X compound or the meguires headlight restore kit to buff to a shine. Apply UV protection or film and done.
Collage 2019-09-01 13_39_15.jpg

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I already bought some wetsand paper so will prob try that first

The thing I am confused about is when do they clear up in the process? I know they haze with the sandpaper and then if you painted them they would clear up,but without that paint step then how do they un-haze before you put film over it?
You use a compound/polish to remove the haze. Best results done with a machine.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The safest way for anyone who is not into detailing is to use 1000 grit sandpaper and then 2000 grit sandpaper followed by some compound. Machines are for people with experience and anything motorized can lead to damage of the lens from the abrasive and the heat being generated. A cordless 12Volt to 20Volt drill is next and will help with polishing out to clarity. The UV spray on or wipe on are the best and cheapest options for the DIY-r. Add this to your maintenance program or make it part of a yearly upkeep. Honda headlights are fairly easy to make look nice compared to others.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Ok thanks

I have the various grits of wetsand I can do by hand. I also have a Porter Cable random orbit can I use that with some polishing compound I already own (like Megs or Menzerna) to get them clear before putting on the film?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Ok thanks

I have the various grits of wetsand I can do by hand. I also have a Porter Cable random orbit can I use that with some polishing compound I already own (like Megs or Menzerna) to get them clear before putting on the film?
Ill try to go all the way to 3000 grit...the highest u go the better finishing you would get. Before doing the film on my headlights I did all the way to 2k grit and still it wasn't perfect, went all the way to 3k and was way better, if I would have had some 4k in stock I would have sure go that route....but hey I was happy with the results of 3k grit.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Ill try to go all the way to 3000 grit...the highest u go the better finishing you would get. Before doing the film on my headlights I did all the way to 2k grit and still it wasn't perfect, went all the way to 3k and was way better, if I would have had some 4k in stock I would have sure go that route....but hey I was happy with the results of 3k grit.
Good to know

I thought the polishes or finishing compounds that I would apply via a Porter Cable would be the same as something with that high of a grit but I may be wrong

·
Registered
145 Posts
Continue with the plan you'll be fine. You can skip the whole sandpaper step altogether if you use compound like megs 105,205 and polish off choice. Avoid running dry and you'll be fine.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts