Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
How hard is it to do this? We were going to buy a 2020 EXL but it wouldn’t fit through our garage. (We have a 2014 that barely fits.) After months of exploring what other cars would fit (and not liking what I found) I’m now wondering if I splurge on Elite w/power folding mirrors could I get it in the garage?

Husband says it would be too difficult to do routinely and I’ll inevitably hit. He could very well be right. Anyone do this? I have a 96” garage door but because of trim it’s realistically a few inches less.
I'm in and out at least once a day with my 2018 Elite and can't imagine not having power mirrors. Do the right thing!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Anyone think the mid model will bring power folding mirrors down to Touring? DH cant wrap his head around $6k (from Exl Nav/Res to Elite) for power mirrors.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Was considering doing this in the past on my Touring. Someone wrote an instructional but they did not include the OEM button for making the mirrors fold and I would like to do that. How did you do it?
You need a few more parts than what's described in the previous thread. Namely, you would also need:
- OEM mirror folding button
- power window switch (driver's side for controlling driver's mirror, passenger side if you want to fold the passenger mirror as well).
- wiring harnesses (the door one and then one that mounts on the trim). I did w/o buying the door one (I found an old wiring harness from which i could salvage some pins).

If you are interested, I can do a more detailed write-up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Anyone think the mid model will bring power folding mirrors down to Touring? DH cant wrap his head around $6k (from Exl Nav/Res to Elite) for power mirrors.
I ended up needing power-folding mirrors, but couldn't see myself spending an extra 3K for Elite .. i just added OEM power-folding mirrors to my Touring myself.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I ended up needing power-folding mirrors, but couldn't see myself spending an extra 3K for Elite .. i just added OEM power-folding mirrors to my Touring myself.
There is just no way we have the skills for that. We are not handy at all. I wish the dealer or a local auto shop would offer it aftermarket. I'd gladly pay $1k to add it to EXL Nav/Res.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You need a few more parts than what's described in the previous thread. Namely, you would also need:
- OEM mirror folding button
- power window switch (driver's side for controlling driver's mirror, passenger side if you want to fold the passenger mirror as well).
- wiring harnesses (the door one and then one that mounts on the trim). I did w/o buying the door one (I found an old wiring harness from which i could salvage some pins).

If you are interested, I can do a more detailed write-up.
That would be awesome. What would you say your all in cost was?

·
Registered
213 Posts
We have a carport so do not have the problem of a narrow opening that requires folding the side mirrors. But am curious, is the reason for the narrow opening that some folks have because they have a single car garage and the opening cannot be made wider?

If the opening can be made wider, Instead of spending $1000 to install power folding side mirrors or spending $6K+ more for an Elite that comes with it, would it be better in the long run to widen the opening into the garage and install a new garage door? Looking online it appears that the average cost to install a power garage door, including the new door, is about $487. Then there is the cost to widen the door frame which will vary depending on DIY or hiring someone to do it.

Then every van purchased thereafter will be able to have a lot of clearance, making going in and out of the garage a joy.

Just wondering,
Raptor88

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
We have a carport so do not have the problem of a narrow opening that requires folding the side mirrors. But am curious, is the reason for the narrow opening that some folks have because they have a single car garage and the opening cannot be made wider?

If the opening can be made wider, Instead of spending $1000 to install power folding side mirrors or spending $6K+ more for an Elite that comes with it, would it be better in the long run to widen the opening into the garage and install a new garage door? Looking online it appears that the average cost to install a power garage door, including the new door, is about $487. Then there is the cost to widen the door frame which will vary depending on DIY or hiring someone to do it.

Then every van purchased thereafter will be able to have a lot of clearance, making going in and out of the garage a joy.

Just wondering,
Raptor88
We actually discussed this but, we have a two car, two single door garages that faces the street, so we’d have to do both doors to make them look the same and the front of the house is brick which seems pricey to mess with. Also, not sure how my HOA would feel.

·
Registered
213 Posts
We actually discussed this but, we have a two car, two single door garages that faces the street, so we’d have to do both doors to make them look the same and the front of the house is brick which seems pricey to mess with. Also, not sure how my HOA would feel.
Probably have two single doors because support is needed in the middle. Maybe because there's a room above the garage, or if no room, then to avoid the cost of a stronger beam to span a double width opening. Haven't noticed any two single door garages in our area but will try to take notice now.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts